Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 3, 2008
Very nice drill bit set. Seems to be of good quality.
I am using the diamond bits to drill semi-precious gems.
One bit has lasted three gems, so far.
11 comment| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2009
This set of 20 bits costs less than one high-quality diamond bit from other sources, and the bits did the job for which they were purchased.

Used them to drill two 1/8 inch diameter holes in non-tempered window glass. This must be done slowly to avoid overheating and possibly fracturing the glass. Used several different bits to change shapes in the hope of making it go faster. When done, the holes were fine and all of the bits still seemed to have their abrasive surfaces.

I've read elsewhere that a high-quality diamond bit will last for perhaps three holes like these, and that it takes about two minutes to make one hole. Well, it took about 30 minutes per hole, but more than half of that time was spent pausing to let the glass and bit cool off. Since all of the bits still have diamond grit on them, it seems likely that they'll be able to make several more holes before wearing out.

NOTE: Tempered glass probably will shatter if drilled. This window didn't have a "tempered" logo in the corner and looked normal when viewed through polarized sunglasses.
55 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2010
These bits were purchased primarily for drilling sea glass for jewelry making. Since this was my first attempt at such a project, I didn't want to spend a lot of money experimenting.

I'm still trying these out, but so far, so good. I like having the variety to play with. I am using these with a Dremel and they work great. I have no complaints.
VINE VOICEon July 24, 2011
I would probably not use the description of "pro quality" to describe this set of bits, but at this price, one just does not expect tools to be of the highest quality. If you are not satisfied with the longevity of the these bits, just buy two or more sets and you still will come out ahead of the cost you would pay at other retail tool suppliers for similar items. In this case, "you get what you pay for" may be quite true, but you might ask if you need what you pay for. In this instance, if you are an amateur, you may not need the highest quality available. As an amateur who is less than an authority on heat and its effect upon diamonds and the adhesive materials used in their bonding process required to result in a high speed tool bits used at speeds exceeding 25,000 rpm, I do not believe a better value can be found. If you never exceed the speed limit, why buy a Ferrari? So I rate these bits with 4 stars because I know there are some better quality bits available, but at prices that are multiples of these. However, combining the needs of an amateur with the cost of these bits, I do not think you can do any better in value. I doubt that these bits would in any way diminish the quality of the result of your efforts.
VINE VOICEon June 9, 2011
This should be obvious, but as with most other things, you get what you pay for. yes these cost less than name brand quality tools. Now I can not attest to the quality of every "name brand" but having owned a set of these for a year, can say that the quality of this set is not up there. If you need it for a single use and do not want to spend the money on a durable tool, it is a great deal. However if you are looking for tools to have around for when you need them, or things you use routinely; look elsewhere. I use my dremel primarily for cleaning glass (I work with hot glass) and use it on an almost daily basis. These points did work for cleaning the (porcelain) release out of flame worked glass, as well as the good points I have. *However* there is a point I bought from a glass supplier for $2.50 which I have had for over 10 years. This set has substantial rust on it after less than a year. At $5-6 for the set, the points cost less than $2/ each, but, as I said, they are effectively disposable. Most people will not see the rust/ erosion as fast as I do because I live in Hawaii. High humidity and salt in the air make things degrade faster.... but, the point I bought from my glass supplier is still good after more than 10 years in the same environment. You get what you pay for.
44 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2005
I got this kit when the similar few bits that came with my mini-tool did not have the profiles I needed. I wanted to write more information on the back of my kitty's tags, such as alternate phone numbers. This kit gave me the choices I needed.

The end tip of the bit I used was a little out-of-center from the shaft, but I found if I wrote with the bit tipped like a normal pen, instead of straight up & down like a drill bit, it worked pretty good.

Most of the other bits seemed more uniform. This kit does the job I need, and is an awesome price. If you are looking for very high precision items then I think you should first start with this kit, because you are going to pay more than what this costs for each bit otherwise. But if you only want the best, this may not be for you.
on June 23, 2008
One of these diamond tipped bits will run you between $8.00 - $10.00 at any retail or hardware store. This set has every bit for any project you could think of and the power to handle almost any material. It is definately worth the money. Works great on glass, metal, and stone.
I am very very satisfied.
on April 7, 2015
These work fantastic for wine bottle crafts and what not - so great that I bought two. They last a long time before they start dulling...and then you can find another purpose for them.
review image
on August 18, 2008
Been using this for my rotary tool and they've been great! Make sure to cool off the bits in water every once in a while during long use and they'll last a lifetime(or at least a long time).
on November 27, 2012
I used the bit you see on the far right in the set to do a port job on a Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 engine.
The bit cut the brass like it was plastic or ice!
The crankshaft (second from left) is steel and took a little work and cool down cycles as it got quite warm to the touch.
The bit still looks like it did new after a few minutes grinding steel.
Good value, nice finish and fine for crafts though maybe not a commercial grade I think they will last me a long, long time.
review image