Most helpful critical review
30 of 34 people found the following review helpful
I've used it alot!
on February 15, 2012
I bought this generator because it claimed the same specs as the Honda, but was 1/2 the price. Most the reviews stated that they were happy with the performance. The generator was late arriving, but that is not the point here. I am at 6000ft elevation. I paid for the special jet for the carburator , but Boliy Guy never sent it. I have used this generator for 4 1/2 months now to supply power to a trailer we live in on our ranch while we build a home. I have a bank of golf cart batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. The generator is mainly used to charge batteries and allow other devices to be used while they are charging.
1. this generator has a poor governor that does not always respond to the load as quickly as needed and causes surging.
2. the fuel consumption is greater than expected. (may have some thing to do with the elevation?), but this engine runs at a higher rpm than the equivalent Honda (more rpm = more fuel).
3. after about 4 months, the manual recoil starting mechanism self destructed, plastic parts. ( the supplier has not sent replacement parts as yet, almost a month?)
4. after 4 1/2 months, the main cooling fan on the end of the drive shaft wore out( more plastic parts) Once again have not received replacements from the supplier or info as to when they will arrive?
5. The electric start works fine if you use a real battery! I never had much success with the supplied internal battery which is soldered into the wiring. I had to run leads to the outside for a regular 12v battery. Starts every time with that one.
6. this generator does not come with an hour meter so I installed one so I could do regular servicing at regular intervals.
I have put around 550 hours on this machine, and for the most past it has run adequately. Now I'm waiting for parts and time drags on. I'm using a 7 year old Honda EU2000i to keep the batteries up while I wait. I have never had an issue with the Honda in 7 years! What does that say?
Would I buy another Boliy? Not at this stage. They are trying to improve their units , but are still a ways a way from the class of a Honda.
How long this Boliy will last? they never give you a life expectancy in hours of use? Wonder why?
If you need a casual use machine , this unit may serve your purpose. If you want a long term dependable machine, Buy a Honda, twice the price , but dependable!
The parts did come and the generator went back into service. I have since purchased a Honda eu3000is and installed the key-fob remote auto start system; Works fabulous. We will use the Boliy at our tack-room shed for more casual usage.