5.0 out of 5 stars Always go to the Pro...Blogger
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:39 Mins
Published on July 14, 2010 by Jim Kukral

3.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to monetizing a blog.
I picked upProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income after blogging for a litle over two years. I've been doing it as a hobby because I love writing and photography, but admittedly haven't thought much about monetizing it.

Published on July 19, 2010 by Chicago Book Addict

3.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to monetizing a blog., July 19, 2010
This review is from: ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income (Paperback)

For me, this book served as a good introduction to how to make money from blogging, both directly and indirectly. However, its focus is a little more broad. It coves everything from choosing a topic to write about, to setting up your blog, to making money. It mixes information and examples with exercises that challenge the reader to apply what they are talking about and use it to inform their own blog.

Because of its broad focus, I think it would be the most useful to someone who is brand new to blogging. I still found it very informative as someone who has been blogging for awhile. However, I did find myself skimming through the pages on setting up your blog because mine has long been set up. However, I thought their instructions were very straight foward and clear and definitely would have been helpful to me if I had stumbled upon them when first starting my blog. They also provide some great tips on deciding what to write about and choosing a domain name.

The content specific to monitization is good but should really be used as a primer. As others have mentioned, much of this content can be found on the ProBlogger blog or elsewhere on the internet. However, the beauty of this book is that it is condensed and all available in one place. No reason to go digging. That said, it is really just the tip of the iceberg so if you are looking for one book to cover everything you will wind up disapointed. I still don't believe I know everything about monitization, nor did I expect to when reading this, and expect to still read more on SEO as a follow up. There are also no secret, magic strategies here. If you are looking for a get rich quick solution this is not it.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and it met my expectations. It was a great first read on how to monetize my blog, but I'm still planning on reading other resources to continue to get smart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always go to the Pro...Blogger, July 14, 2010
Jim Kukral (Cleveland, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:39 Mins

When your shower breaks in your home, you go to the pro plumber. When your teeth ache, you go to the pro dentist. When you want to learn about to build a successful blog and make money online from your home... you go to the PROblogger! Darren and Chris have written an excellent book that will tell you everything you need to know about how to not only make a blog that people want to read, but more importantly... how to make money from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blogging help for the beginner blogger, March 2, 2011
This book is excellent for beginner bloggers. it explains in detail what to do. Since i started using this book i am now blogging more regularly and making sales of my art through the internet.

Definitely a must have if you are a beginner!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginning to intermediate resource, April 17, 2011
Jeff "Semper Fi" (All over the Globe) - See all my reviews
After reading this, I found it to be a good resource for the beginning to intermediate blogger. There is a lot of content that is blindingly obvious for anyone who has been blogging for even a short period of time, but the author's have managed to include topics that even intermediate bloggers will find useful.

I have been running a relatively successful blog for over a year now with great traffic, but I have failed to monetize it. I was hoping this book would help me figure out that part of the equation. It did help add some perspective to structuring content to pull in more readers, while also doing the whole SEO thing.

To those reviewers who complained that this info could be found on a variety of websites about blogging, that claim could be made about most books sold on Amazon. The purpose of going out to buy the book is convenience and reliability of information. If you want to spend days or weeks looking for and collating the same information, by all means, have at it. If you want it in a convenient package, then get this book.

My only complaint, would be the price. I'd barely pay $12 for the paperback, so I'd hoped the Kindle version would be around the $10 mark. Seems a bit pricey for a digital download.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Reasons You Should Buy ProBlogger, June 16, 2010
Millions of blogs exist these days. Even your neighbor's dog, it seems, has a blog. With the enormous popularity of blogging, becoming a professional blogger--someone who earns a substantial amount of income through blogging--is now a reality. Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett offer some advice in their book, ProBlogger, on how to tap into this potential source of income. And there are three primary reasons that you should considering investing in this book.

First, ProBlogger emphasizes that professional blogging takes lots of time and effort to produce results. I despise get-rich-quick schemes, which is why I was glad that the authors repeatedly highlight that their book and online resources will not make you rich in a week (or less!). Research, planning, time, effort--all of these are required to produce a successful blog. It's the cold, hard truth, and this book doesn't shy from repeatedly stating that truth.

Second, the authors clearly recognize that bloggers achieve success in different ways. There is no magic blogging formula that guarantees millions within a month. You'll find that the authors present examples of successful blogs to demonstrate different ways that bloggers have earned money and built loyal audiences. Is advertising the simple answer to monetizing blogs? Nope. While advertising can serve as an excellent option, it's not always the best option. A blog's topic and audience (among other factors) will determine the best way to generate income, and employing more than one method often proves most effective.

Third, the book presents a good deal of advice clearly gained by experience--and lots of it. Darren and Chris are no rookies. They offer an instructive selection of information that includes niche blogging, effective writing, income strategies, social media promotion, and more. Much more information is on their ProBlogger website.

In summary, ProBlogger is a practical and fun guide to professional blogging. I highly encourage this book to anyone interested in professional blogging, but watch out: when you finish reading this one, you've only begun the blogging journey. Much more reading and writing must ensue if you're going to become a true professional blogger.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have covered more on writing, but still worth the money, October 11, 2010
I agree with a lot of the reviews already written, so I'm not going to repeat what "everyone" has told you before.

Personally, I really liked the book. It explains a lot of the practical stuff when it comes to blogging. Advertising, making money, and so on. Previous reviews have covered that. I also have to agree that a lot of the information explained in this book is mostly for beginners - but you could probably get some new info out of it as a "pro" as well.

What I do wish the book had covered more though, is the actual writing of posts. Getting ideas and so forth. So if you want a book about writing, I don't think this is the book for you.

The book also has a bonus-section online, and includes several interviews of top bloggers (among other resources).

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice overview, June 10, 2010
I was looking for a book to take me through the basics and help me make decisions about setting up a blog and perhaps monetizing it. This book gives an excellent overview of the issues and gives enough background to make some key decisions. Even better, it gives you places to look online for more specific information and continuing updates. It was a quick read and very well thought out. I think I'm ready to jump in. The only issue I have is with the title. They make it abundantly clear that blogging is not a get-rich-quick scheme. It's a real business with plenty of work and many hours required, just like any other business. That said, it's a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comprehensive, August 24, 2010
Steven M. Hoefflin, M.D. (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
I thought that this book was very good to lay down the basic fundamentals of the current blogosphere. The two authors were quite good at laying down the framework and explaining the different ways to monetize a blog or website. The book is good for the average reader who is familiar with internet social media, its neither too technical nor too dumbed down. The formatting, spacing and font sizes and graphics in the book were very applicable and I did learn something by reading this book. The most valuable portion of the book was the tracking and analytics section I really learned a lot from those parts. Look forward to following their website and twitter feeds!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not For Beginners, January 15, 2012
I purchased this book to help me with starting a blog. I am pretty tech-savvy and I have taken a class on website design, but a lot of this book was over my head. It seems like they left out a lot of important information and they just assume that you already know a lot of the basics. I am pretty proficient at blog writing, but I needed help with the technical aspect. This is not the book that I needed. I would also add that I don't think that anyone edited this book. There were multiple spelling and grammatical errors in it. That is pretty horrendous to think that a book was actually published with so many mistakes in it. I gave the book 2 stars because I can't say I didn't learn anything from it. It did have some helpful information in it. But I think I will have to buy another book to truly help me with my blog.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Overview, November 22, 2011
It didn't take long in the book for the author to (rightfully so) indicate that it's pretty rare to make a decent living from blogging, much less make 6 figures as the title promotes. Good content and helpful navigating this very confusing industry just don't expect to make much cabbage.

ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income
ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income by Chris Garrett (Paperback - April 26, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.01