4.0 out of 5 stars Works...within limitations
Published on April 8, 2011 by R. Boatman

2.0 out of 5 stars proclearz review
This doesn't really work. We keep buying it, hoping that if we use it long enough it will, but so far, nothing.
Published 24 months ago by Annette Ieda

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Works...within limitations, April 8, 2011
This review is from: ProClearz Fungal Shield Brush-On Antifungal Liquid, Maximum Strength , 1-Ounce (30 ml) (Pack of 3) (Health and Beauty)
I've had nail issues for fifteen years. About four years ago I found a miracle cure: a blue gel that painted my nails like thick polish. In three months, the infection was gone and my nails were clear. Whether the blue coloring was actually part of the active ingredient, if it was just cosmetic, or if the blue material somehow held the active ingredient in contact with the nail I do not know. Figuring I was "cured" (hah!), I tossed the bottle and made no note of the name; and since I bought it somewhere between Washington and New Jersey, I could not find it again when six months later the problem came right back.

I have since tried numerous topical medicines with zero success. My doctor wanted to give me oral terbinafine (Lamisil), which has a high success rate - but carries a very real risk of liver damage and is still not a long-term cure (which, I discovered, simply does not exist). I'd likely be taking it, off and on, for life - or until liver failure killed me. Jeesh!

Before going on the oral Lamisil, I decided to give one more topical a try: ProClearz. This contains an OTC chemical (Tolnaftate) that is highly effective against athlete's foot but had failed me as a nail cure. I gave it a try anyway because of a feature I'll describe in a moment.

I carried out a controlled experiment: ProClearz on one foot, "Tea Tree Oil extract" on the other. I also sprayed my feet in the morning and evening with Tolnaftate spray (the CVS "continuous spray," high recommendations as it sprays evenly from any angle) and occasionally sprayed my shoes and slippers.

After about six weeks, the ProClearz foot showed definite improvement, with clear nail gradually moving up from the bed. Six weeks more and the entire nail was clear. The other foot, with both the spray Tolnaftate and the Tea Oil brush-on, showed no change at all. I therefore declare ProClearz a complete success.

Now the not-so-good news: the carrier in ProClearz is acetone, and I suspect that this is actually the secret to its success; the acetone soaks right in, through the skin, under the nail, even right through the nail itself if applied liberally (which I did, at least initially). I am sure that its penetrating characteristic is what makes it so effective. The proof is obvious: I was using Tolnaftate on both feet via the spray, but only the foot that had the acetone-based Tolnaftate ProClearz actually improved. But on the other hand (or foot), acetone is not entirely benign; it has all-but disappeared from home nail polish removers, for example. When brushing it on (and we're talking a lot more than a woman would use to remove nail polish) I can feel it soaking through the skin under the nail. Not painful, in fact the sensation is indescribable (tickling is the closest I can come, but not in a pleasant way). I should point out that acetone is generally one of the safer household chemicals (your body produces it whenever you burn fat anerobically), but bear in mind that you will NOT permanently cure your nails and so you will likely be using this chemical, off and on, for life. Still, more effective than the alternative topical and safer than the oral medications, so right now this is my winning choice.

Why not five stars? Well, the medication leaves the nails with a coating of whitish debris (this disappears when the nail is wet, which is how I know the nail is in fact getting better) although I suspect some sort of moisturizer will fix it - and in any event is far better than the original diseased nail. And - I realize this is a minor detail - the dispenser brush in one of the bottles fell apart and required using a pair of pliers to hold the brush. The second bottle had no such mechanical problem.

So in conclusion, ProNailz is effective and has minimal safety issues. Other than a mysterious blue medication I cannot find again, it is the only nail treatment that actually is able to penetrate through the nail and the bed to get to where the fungus hides. I expect that I will probably be using it in a "maintenance" mode from now on, applying it perhaps a few days each month while using a general spray more often.

2.0 out of 5 stars proclearz review, January 5, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars ProClearz, October 26, 2011
This stuff really works. I've tried many things for over 40 years to remove my fingernail fungus. Since I've been using this product my fungus is gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, December 31, 2012
It helps eliminate the fungus when applied daily to the feet. You just apply after taking a shower each day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cured Instantly!, February 3, 2014
UPDATE: 10 months later. Been using twice a day, every day, for 10 months. Still not cured. At first I though fresh nail growth was clear but seems not. good news is no new infection in other toes using product. time to look for a plan B.

I used this product along with other products and my toe nail fungus was cured quickly. The issue is you do not know you are cured until at least 6 weeks later. Your existing toe nail is dead tissue and will never change. You have to wait for new nail to start growing out before you can tell if cured. The new nail for me is less than half the thickness of the old nail where there is a noticeable line.

Here is my 4 part method that worked instantly:
1. I rubbed on jock itch/athletes foot cream all over my foot in morning after shower. All of foot including toe nails. Did this for two weeks.
2. Used ProClearz on toe in morning and night.
3. Used regular fungal toe nail liquid two times a day waiting an hour from the ProClearz.
4. Bought sandals and wear every day.

The before/after demarcation line on my nails is dramatic. Even though I am "cured" I still apply either ProClearz or the regular liquid twice a day. It has been two months and looks like will take a year for fresh nail to come in completely. The ProClearz dries instantly and has no lingering smell. There is no visible residue or obvious change to nail. I like it and highly recommend. Funny how the label says "will not cure toe nail fungus". Lawyers is my guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working good so far, July 25, 2014
Seems to work ok, although slowly. Three nails on one foot and 2 on the other are now in better shape than they have in years. Continuing to use; hoping for similar results on the remaining nails.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pro Clearz is an excellent product, July 14, 2014
I have always had a problem with athletes foot (ringworm) in warm weather. I've tried all the OTC creams with poor results. I finally discovered Pro Clearz, and have found it to be the most effective material I've ever used. It uses the same active ingredient as the other similar OTC products, Tolnaflate 1%, but the difference is that Pro Clearz uses acetone as the carrier. I think that is the reason Pro Clearz is so effective. Acetone has a very low surface tension, and thus is a very effective wetting agent which carries the Tolnaflate into the surface of the skin more effectively than does a cream. Also, the acetone evaporates very quickly, leaving the Tolnaflate as a dry powder in intimate contact with the skin. I think this is an excellent product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst product, January 20, 2013
I used up all the three bottles, then found that the infection became encrusted. Now, it had a throbbing pain. The advertisement was misleading.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Stuff works, June 23, 2013
Tommy (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
Ok if you have toe nail fungus it suck because it takes so long to see results. I tried all the other remedys including Vicks Vapor Rub. That stuff is suppose to work

Ok here is My experience, First you must file down the nail to make it thinner on top. Use ProClearz 2x a day.....every day

What will happen is you very slowly will see results as the Nail Stays on the Nail Bed. Again Sand down your nail if you get a build up
I am about 50% better have probably another 6 months to go but I finally have results

And use LOTS of this stuff. Get it all around the outside of the nail

Good Luck.,,,,,,, Every Day Don't forget I forgot make sure you dry your feet and dont sleep with socks

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, February 17, 2014
I bought this at cvs for $9.99. I thought I had ingrown toenails but I guess it was some sort of fungal issue. I tried this after browsing the pharmacy for some over the counter relief. I've been using it for about a month now and my nails & skin around are improving greatly. I apply liberally twice a day to nail & surrounding skin as recommended (morning & night) after cleaning with soapy water. Let it dry and put socks on or whatever. It's worth the price but I would definitely go to a pharmacy and get it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›