on February 16, 2012
***NOTE: I added 8 pictures of the treadmill on the product page for your reference. If you'd like to see more, let me know.

My 14 year-old Weslo treadmill was intermittently turning off and so I decided it was time to retire it. I purchased the Proform Pro 4500 because of the features and the outstanding deal I found - I got it for the same price as the Proform Pro 2500 Amazon had as the Deal of The Day - which was amazing. Since this is a new machine, there aren't many independent reviews out there and the places I did find reviews for it seemed to be marketing and sales sites, so I was a little nervous about shelling out a lot of $$ for it and then getting stuck with a bad product. Needless to say, my fears faded away once I received it and started using it.

I have to say, this is one big piece of machinery - it looks like the treadmills used at pro gyms only not as wide. It comes in a huge box, so your best bet is to open the box outside of your home, then bring in the smaller pieces. If you can get a 3rd person to help, it would be a great benefit as this thing is HEAVY by the motor unit - you'll need 2 people there. I took my time putting it together and after a couple of hours, I was done. It's a foldable treadmill so it saves you some space as it is very long. Lifting it does not take a great deal of force and lowering it is a snap as it slowly eases down without much assistance from you.

It comes with a 10" screen that runs Android and allows you to connect to anything on the internet (it comes with several bookmarked sites) and also comes with a free 1 year membership to iFit Live - which would normally cost you $120: just go to the iFit.com site, register, and you're good to go. Multiple users can store their individual workout information as well which is very convenient as I share the treadmill with my wife and our neighbor.

Having used an old, simple treadmill for so long, when I first looked at the control panel of the Pro 4500, I felt like I was looking at something from a sci-fi movie - lots of symbols, colors, and buttons, so there's quite a bit to learn and absorb. Once you get up to speed, you can definitely enhance your workouts by selecting from all of the available options. It has various workout programs for each type of exercise regimen and automatically adjusts the incline accordingly, and you can establish workout goals as well. What really blew my mind was the ability to use Google Maps to outline the route you want to run - anywhere in the world, which is incredible as you can view the area you're "running" through - it was fun running through sunny Hawaii while still in dreary NYC: the miracles of modern technology never cease to amaze me. It's a welcome relief from the boredom of running on a treadmill. The built-in fan is a little noisy, but you can overcome it by connecting your mp3 or CD player to the built-in stereo speakers and listen to your favorite music - the sound quality was pretty good. You can measure your heart rate by either holding the handgrips or through the use of the wireless chest strap, which is a bonus - there was a slight difference in the readings between them when I tried them, but it was negligible. I haven't been able to try out all of the workouts as there are so many to choose from - both stored and online, but it's just a matter of time. I haven't tried the Jillian Michaels regimen via the iFit website, but that's also for another day - like I said, alot of options.

I have really enjoyed this treadmill so far and I am extremely glad that I got it. I never thought I'd actually enjoy working out, but with access to the internet, the use of routes recorded in high quality video, and the multitude of features, I can honestly say I look forward to it. As for the overall noise factor, for such a powerful motor, it makes less noise than my old Weslo, which is surprising. It's a solid piece of equipment and comes with a decent warranty - 5 years parts and 2 years labor. Hopefully I won't have any problems as it has a lot more electronics than my old Weslo - I connected it to the Belkin BE112230-08 12-Outlet Home/Office Surge Protector with Telephone and Coaxial Protection capable of sustaining 3940 joules (which I highly recommend for all high-priced electronics).

To sum it up, this is a great treadmill and if you can get it on sale, grab it.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 24, 2013
Verified Purchase
I will try and keep this brief, I will be returning this product as soon as possible. The installation wasn't bad, it took about an hour or so and so far everything was working at first. However, after testing different features out, I found out the incline and decline did not work and would not calibrate. After it would not calibrate the motor stopped working all together. The belt would not even move anymore, so I can only assume the product is defective.

Also, there is one thing that I wish I had known before purchasing this product: websites like HULU and NETFLIX, DO NOT WORK! Basically the internet browser is worthless unless you plan to only use it to read the news and facebook. While these things are good, it's not something I can personally do while running. I mainly purchased this treadmill thinking I had full access to websites like netflix,etc. Not the case unfortunately.
on December 10, 2012
Verified Purchase
I purchased this product from Amazon.com. After I put the treadmill together, all the keys on the console don't work, only the touch screen work. The machine can't complete the incline calibration and got stuck in the middle. I called customer support but nobody pick up the call for hours. It's just no customer service at all.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 12, 2012
Verified Purchase
I purchased the treadmill as a gold box deal and received the item within 10 days. The package is huge and heavy (350lbs) and the delivery service would only after a soft persuasion bring the box to the garage. I was traveling and it would have been impossible for my wife to move the box anywhere.
We disassembled the package in the garage and carried the treadmill piece by piece to its final location. Yet the actual motor and treadmill unit were still difficult to handle and we got some rollers and a skateboard to move it to its final location. I do not want to imagine getting this beast anywhere higher than ground level. The unit is moveable because it can be folded up which makes lifting and carrying it harder.
I assembled the unit with my wife in about 2hrs (I think it can be done faster with some training). Some of the bolts were too short and I got replacements. After we got done we had a an extra pair of side bars left over. They were apparently in the package as a bonus? Unfortunately they are not cushioned.
After turning on the machine the Android started and I got connected to the internet. I started walking on the treadmill. Then I updated the software. At least I tried to, but the connection got interrupted several times. I called IFit and they had me reboot the unit a few times. Finally the update went through.
Next I walked on the treadmill again to test the functionality. I tried to raise the incline and it would not work. I tried the calibration and it faulted. Next I noticed that the entire panel, all push buttons etc. would not work anymore. The touch screen was still working. I remembered that the buttons were working prior to the software update.
Since it was late at night I called it a day. The next day I called customer service. It took me about ten minutes to talk to a technician. He could not help since I did not have the serial number available. I called them back later and I waited about 20minutes to talk to a tech. That person decided within 5 minutes that the entire display panel was broken. They asked me whether I could replace it myself or if a technician should come out to fix it. I asked for a technician. The new panel arrived within a week. After the part arrived I decided I could exchange the panel myself. I took about 30 minutes.

After the exchange everything works as described. I have a great treadmill at a great price.
However, I have not attempted the software update. I will call Proform to verify that it is safe to do.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2013
Verified Purchase
We bought this treadmill because of the WiFi connectivity. It works and has a huge potential for different types of training. If you like me (like to run - but not outside in the rain and snow) and can set up anything technical like a wireless connection, then you'll like this and will find it to be very useful. Beware, however, that your router must be within 15 feet of the treadmill to get a decent signal, if it is on the other side of a wall or longer than 15-20 feet, you'll get a very week signal, no matter how powerful of a router you have. The problem seems to be with the wireless card in the treadmill. Luckily for me I had a second router and just extended my home network to cover the treadmill/workout area.
on August 9, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this treadmill while I was skimming the Gold Box specials on my iPad and my thumb got a little wild and hit the one click purchase button by accident. I had a moment of panic and then thought, "hmmm... I guess God is trying to tell me something." It showed up about a week later and I really couldn't be more pleased with it. I set it up in my bedroom and signed up for iFit. It downloaded a series of automated workout routines based on my fitness profile, which I've been following for a little over a week. Surprise of surprises - I actually enjoy using it and look forward to my next workout. The iFit integration is very clever and kind of fun to use. Almost makes the machine seem to have it's own personality. I'm just going to let it guide me through workouts and see where I end up. I should mention that this thing is refrigerator heavy. You'll need a friend to help you move it to where you intend to set it up. After assembly, it folds and has wheels so it should be easier to move, but I haven't tried it. In my post-purchase research, I noticed a number of recommendations to pass on the 10" Android interface. I don't agree. I really like this interface and suspect that the lesser model has to be much more bland to use. This unit is actually kind of fun to fiddle with while working out. Everything about this treadmill seems to say "quality".
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
First, the positives. The treadmill is built well, very solid construction, no rattling or wobbling. As far as providing a platform to run on it works great. My issues, which I'll enumerate in a moment are around the usability of the treadmill. Everytime I use it I'm reminded by how poorly thought through the design is. From simple things such as no built in support for multiple users (you have to contact tech support to add a second user) and no backlighting for controls (good luck changing a setting unless it's bright in your room), using the treadmill is an exercise in frustration. Here are the things that bother me in no particular order:

The fan. The treadmill has three separate vents that run horizontally across the control panel. It looks like each vent would have a fan but it turns out there is only one small fan in the middle, the other two vents on either side are for decoration. Also, the fan is not adjustable. I'm 5' 10" and the fan blows straight at my stomach. While it's better than nothing, It's virtually useless and VERY loud when cranked up. A simple dial like those found in every car is all they needed to add to make the fan functional.

The controls. As I mentioned earlier, none of the controls that aren't on the display light up in any way. These include incline, speed, fan, sound, intensity and calories I like to use the treadmill early in the morning and in the evenings in low light but I have to turn the lights all the way on to adjust anything e.g. volume level. Simple backlights or even a single light that shined down would have done the trick.

Speaking of sound, when adjusting settings there is an audible beep that itself gets louder or softer consistent with overall volume. Due to the noise of the treadmill and fan, I usually have the sound volume for music or a video turned up loud. Anytime I change something in this state the treadmill beeps much much too loud. Very very annoying.

Speaking of sound, here is one of my biggest complaints, the "Android table" interface. The fact that it is running Android is completely irrelevant from a usability perspective. ProForm has put their own UI on it and locked it down completely. It may as well be running DOS, Linux or Windows 95. You can't install apps! Furthermore, it doesn't even include the basic Google apps such as Play Movies or Play Music. One of the main reasons I chose this brand was for the Android tablet expecting to be able to stream movies and TV but that's not possible. Furthermore, the web browser don't remember anything so sites like youtube require you to log in each time. It's a terrible pain trying to start a workout then back to the browser to log back into something.

Another issue with the display is when using the map view which is a cool feature BTW, about 30% or more of the screen is taken up by controls, users should be allowed to remove what they don't want cluttering the screen, especially the controls placed almost in the middle of the screen which are very distracting.

Training goals, this one really blows me away. You can only select distances in increments of .2 miles and speed in .5 miles. If I want to run a half marathon which is 13.1 miles I can only choose 13.0 or 13.2. How hard is it to allow increments of .1?? Speaking of increments, speed only in .5 as I mentioned so it's obvious they can do odd numbers. To be clear, this is during the setup so you can change the speed later using the controls on the panel but you can't change the distance. Finally, there is no cooldown period. Once you've hit your distance it just stops, no option for a cooldown. I (you potentially) need to begin a new workout just to cool down.

I know I'm forgetting a thing or two but those are my main issues which I think would bother anyone using this treadmill on a regular basis. On yes, one last one, a decal on the base of the treadmill was tweaked such that it turns 90 degrees, very sloppy quality control. Unfortunately I had no idea there were all these issues before I moved it upstairs and set it up which is why i regret the purchase so much. Very challenging to maneuver down the staircase so living with it as is for the time being.

One positive note, the display of the treadmill is slightly recessed and there is an audio-in jack so it's easy to use a real tablet instead of the junk one it comes with. I get the workout started and then simply put my Kindle Fire or Asus right in front and I'm good to go.
on February 6, 2013
I purchased the Proform Pro 4500 treadmill in August 2012 because it seemed to be built well and the built-in iFit technology and the 10" Android tablet. I did not buy it from Amazon, I bought it directly from the manufacturer. When it first arrived in August 2012 it worked great. The built in iFit technology worked great. I was able to draw my own maps on ifit.com and then run them using street view right on the treadmill. In addition to street view, it kept all of my history on ifit.com so I could track my progress. In November 2012, iFit did an "upgrade" to the website and the app on the treadmill and nothing has worked properly since. Street view rarely works. Even on maps that are drawn by iFit and that I download, the street view does not work. Runs that I draw on iFit.com do not show up on the treadmill intermittently. The timer locks up from time to time. The automatic incline feature locks up. The iFit app on the treadmill locks up and shuts down from time to time. It is a complete disaster and has rendered the treadmill almost unusable from time to time. The worst part is that iFit does not seem to care at all. At the beginning of January 2013, iFit posted on their "support" website that they were aware of problems with the app on the Pro 4500 and that when they figured out a fix, they would post an update for the app. That was one month ago and nothing has been fixed. Additionally, I have sent emails and posted service requests on iFit.com but I get no response whatsoever. When I contact Proform customer service, they tell me that is an iFit issue and that I will have to contact iFit.

The only features of the treadmill that work consistently are the ones that treadmills half the price have. I can turn it on, push start and start running and it shows my progress around a virtual 1/4 mile track. That is hardly worth the large price tag that comes along with the Pro 4500.

The treadmill itself is well built and running on it is very smooth. The motor is strong and it is fairly quiet. It will make a few funny noises while you are running depending on what incline you are on. This morning there was a little squeaking noise while I was running on the treadmill on 0% incline (incline feature was locked up so I couldn't adjust the incline). It wasn't bad though.

I recommend saving your money and buying a treadmill without all of the iFit technology on it. It does not appear that iFit is interested in fixing any of the issues. Without the iFit technology, this is just a regular old treadmill at an inflated price.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 2, 2013
Verified Purchase
I purchased this unit in 2012. Overall, the machine is solid and as long as it is working is a nice treadmill. However, if you have any issues (i.e. one of Proform's software upgrades locks up the console), you will be extremely frustrated dealing with their customer service team. My machine has been down for 2 months now while I wait on a replacement console. Meanwhile, I've not received any update from the manufacturer and when I call for updates, I typically cannot get through to anyone (stay on hold for hours). In separate communication with this company by e-mail, my experience has been with very condescending reps that cannot fathom why I am so frustrated about making this investment and not being able to use the equipment. I have dealt with poor customer service before but this is by far the worst experience I have ever had.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 21, 2012
Verified Purchase
Great machine.I received it one week after ordering, and it took about two hours to put together.

After researching most of the major brands and models for sometime before selecting the ProForm 4500 because I've used several different machines, mostly at hotels and cruise ships, over the past couple of years. This unit is comparable to more expensive treadmills in every way.Since it is manufactured by the same company who makes Nordic Track, and with many interchangeable parts, I chose it because of value difference.

The 10 inch screen on the Android browser works great with the internet and especially with Ifit which is a great motivator for working out almost anywhere in the world. Ifit uses Google Maps and lets you draw and virtually run your route while viewing street pictures and changing grade automatically with the terrain.

With Amazon's competitive price I'm very happy with my purchase
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

See 1 answered question