ProForm 6.0 RT
Price:$460.23+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 1, 2013
I used it three times and the belt went out of alignment. I'm only 150 and didn't go above level 4, so it's not like it was hard use. I followed the instructions in the manual and online to adjust, but no luck. It was crooked and continued to remain crooked. I called Pro-form customer service and after waiting on hold for 20 minutes, a nice guy answered the phone. He told me to try tightening it all the way then loosening it the same, then running it to see if it aligned; no luck. He said one of the bolts was probably stripped and they could send me a new one. I asked why a bolt would be stripped on a brand new machine, and he said he didn't know.

"You just need to unscrew it and screw in the new one," he instructed. So I asked him to stay on the phone while I did it. Turns out the bolt wouldn't come out of the hole because it was being blocked by the plastic bumper covering it. "It should just fall out when you've unscrewed it all the way," he said. I know how to unscrew a bolt, but continued turning it just in case. "No, it's blocked," I told him. He checked with someone and said "They said it should just fall out." I checked around and there was a screw underneath the plastic part. "Oh, he said, then you probably need to unscrew that." This didn't help my confidence in the company. I tried unscrewing it but it started to strip so I figured I should leave it alone.

In light of this, and the fact that I had no faith at this point that the new bolt would actually do the trick, I asked if someone could come fix it. He said they were only allowed to send the bolt. "But I'm within my 90-day parts and LABOR warranty," I told him. He said he'd need to get supervisory approval because it happens a lot and they're "cracking down" on sending people out to do labor. Like I said, nice kid, and I appreciate his candor. But this is not a company I want to do business with.

That said, aside from the belt being screwed up, the rest of the treadmill was nice. If you know how to fix things on there when they break and don't anticipate interacting with Pro-form, it might be a good treadmill for you. Personally, this experience made me like Amazon more because it was a no-hassle return. They're sending someone to pick it up.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 18, 2013
ProForm Treadmill: Considerations Before You Buy

About two months ago I purchased a ProForm treadmill. While I have been pleased with the product, I encountered several "surprises" which other prospective customers should know about as they consider a purchase:

* "Space Saver design; folds vertically for storage" (from ProForm's advertisements) -- Really?

** I was disappointed that the treadmill did not fold vertically, as advertised. If it had stored vertically, directly over its base, it would take up about 20% less space than it does. Instead of folding vertically, the deck folds up to an angle of maybe 60 or 70 degrees -- and hangs out from the base into the room. Don't let the size of the small base brackets fool you into thinking that that will be all the space the treadmill will take-up when stored.

** Additionally, the on/off power switch is located on the front edge of the motor shroud -- which means that the front of the treadmill must be located away from the wall so that you can get to the power switch. (If I remember right, the manual says that the treadmill should be placed two feet away from walls and other objects in all directions.)

* You have to unplug the treadmill when it's not in use (from ProForm's user's manual) -- Really?

** The owners manual says that the treadmill needs to be unplugged between uses to prevent the premature failure of the control board. Apparently the on/off power switch on the front edge of the motor shroud is only a soft-off switch -- that is, electricity is still being used to power the control board and perhaps other stuff. (There's no wiring diagram in the owner's manual, so it's hard to know what is still energized when the treadmill is "off".) In any event, you will need an easily accessible outlet to plug and unplug the machine with each use.

Assembly: I didn't have any trouble assembling the treadmill. While not perfect, the instructions are pretty good. If buyers are patient, take time to read the instructions, think about what they are doing, and are not "mechanically impaired" (that is, they don't know which end of a screwdriver to use), they should be able to assemble it without problem. However, it will probably take a few hours (-- I spent about 3 hours, but I was working alone and at a leisurely pace.)

Heart Rate Monitor: The heart rate monitor (built into the handbar) is not reliable. Occasionally it works relatively well (that is, it has accurate and stable readings), while most of the time it fluctuates wildly (for example, with the heart rate being reported as 64, a few seconds later as 176, 154, 97, etc.)

Durability: I've only had the treadmill for a couple of months, so I can't rate durability. I haven't had any problems -- but my expectation is that a treadmill should last at least 10 years (-- my last treadmill was about 15 years old when we moved and left it behind, so I expect I should get a similar lifespan from this or any treadmill).

Ratings are always very subjective. This treadmill meets my needs, but I'm disappointed about the misleading space saving advertising. Additionally I consider the location of "soft-off" switch on the front of the motor shroud as a very poor design (as it could have been placed on the control panel where I would be convenient for users). I am also troubled by the requirement of plugging and unplugging the treadmill between each use; it would have been easy for a "hard-off" power switch to have been mounted in a convenient place on the treadmill. Because of these advertising and design issues, I'm rating this as 3-stars.

Note: ProForm makes many models of treadmills, only a portion of which are advertised on Amazon. The size of the running decks and motors vary from model to model, as well as the electronic console features. The specific model which I purchased (for about $1,000) is not listed on Amazon. However, the engineering design is the same on all of the models. People looking for space-savings and convenience will want to consider the design issues I have identified -- and should watch for similiar issues in treadmills by other manufacturers.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 27, 2013
First off, a little back story that became relevant... This is my second attempt to buy a treadmill. The first time was direct from NordicTrack, which is made by Icon Fitness. Unfortunately the machine had been severely damaged by FedEx so it never reached my doorstep. But, I was happy with the way Icon handled it, refunding my money immediately.

Fast-forward to now and I decided to take my chances again having one shipped. I sort of wish I had bought it in the store, in hindsight, but I did save the cost of local sales tax. It's really nice to be able to return something to a store though if it doesn't work. Otherwise you'll have to figure out how you're going to get this huge lump back to Amazon...

I don't normally put anything about the shipping in my review, but shipping an item like this is a big part of buying it. It ships freight, and which company you get will probably vary. Pilot was the company that shipped it this time and they were very nice and called ahead to make sure I would be home. Unfortunately the treadmill was damaged when I got it, which I didn't notice until it was almost fully assembled. Part of the side panel on the bottom is broken. It's purely cosmetic, so that's not a big worry. But the left rear foot was completely ripped out of the screws. Unusable without duct tape.

A quick email to ProForm and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this is also an Icon product (hadn't noticed when I was buying). Naturally they were happy to send whatever replacement parts I needed (said they would be here in about a week). So here's a double plug for Icon, they really handle things when it doesn't go so well. I wish it was easier to tell which products they make.

The treadmill itself is great. I was able to assemble it by myself, as others have said. I think putting the control panel on is the hardest part, as it seems like it's not going to fit, but you just have to keep positioning it until it's lined up just right. Also pay attention to when it says to fully tighten the screws that you were supposed to only partially tighten when you first put them in. A couple of them become inaccessible when assembly proceeds. I also thought it was odd that they have you remove some screws, throw them away (into a jar in the garage if you like) and then put different, seemingly identical screws in their place. But, whatever.

I agree with other reviews that say the heart rate monitor is useless. Reads 50 and then suddenly 185 and back down to 70. But if you're serious about fitness you'll either know your body well enough to not need it, know how to do your heart rate manually, or have a separate monitor that you use for all your workouts. Based on experience, I do believe the calorie counter to be reasonably accurate, even though it doesn't ask for your age or weight, et cetera.

The only other thing I'm not crazy about is the fact that while the treadmill bed is held in the folded position by a huge pin, the huge pin is held on by two dinky little screws going into maybe 1/8" of metal. I can just see one of my kids leaning a bit too heavily on it and squashing the other or himself (the manual implies that it weighs 45 pounds). If it feels like it's going to be an issue I plan to drill all the way through the upright and put a couple of long bolts with lock nuts in there. I'm sure that will immediately void the warranty. Safety issue trumps that. Another option would be to install a safety chain or strap of some sort.

Overall pretty happy. This will be great in the summer when it's over a hundred outside and especially for winter when it's too slushy and icy to ride my bike.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon March 28, 2014
Well this winter in Wisconsin broke us, too many below zero days. So we finally caved in and bought a treadmill. We talked to an in store employee who said it took him an hour to put one of these together and he only needed assistance from another person towards the end. He must be amazing. Because it took my husband and me at least 2.5 hours to put it together, granted we put the control deck bracket on backward. It wasn't difficult, it just wasn't lightening fast, fun and easy. Our track actually do go crooked the first time we used it, so don't throw away your Allen Wrenches (unless you have a set). It was not difficult to adjust the track.

The preset workouts ..........ummm, not a fan. If I pick speed 3 and incline at 3 at about 2 minutes it books me up to 5 and incline 5...... And then keeps rising from there. So we don't use the workout selections, at least not at this point.

We did put down mats that were about 1/2 inch thick under the treadmill.

The treadmill does not fold all the way up, it folds more to a 45 degree angle. And the wheels don't roll so hot. If you are bigger you can run on this. We have 285 pounds running on here. Although depending on your house, objects in the room may move while you are running.

The speakers are pretty cool. Music is great. Audio books are not loud enough on the speakers. The little cubbies on the control panel can hold an iPod in one and a decent sized sports bottle, I have a 24 ounce Gatorade water bottle that fits nice.

The chord is on the front of the unit. And my house was built in 1889 so outlets are scarce (especially of the three prong variety). The chord is about four feet long. It does not not reach all the way to the back of the treadmill. But a surge protector plugged in and the treadmill plugged into that reaches the wall. I mention in case you have a very limited space available.

The treadmill is great for all of us to get a good workout. You can run, walk, raise or lower your incline, check your heart rate. You can track your mileage. It counts calories but I think that's based on a certain weighted person, so check online for a more accurate count.

Weird side note....when we turn the treadmill from reset to on.....it freaks out one of our dogs. Must be high pitched. The other dog tries desperately to run with us.
on March 11, 2014
Wanted a simple treadmill without the extreme extras that I didn't need and wouldn't be using. The ProForm 6.0 RT is the perfect treadmill for straight running, the console is easy to read, easy to adjust the speed and incline during my workout. I use it 3 to 4 times a week for run training segments. Was easy to put together, minimal parts, instructions very straight forward easy to follow, only two wire connections, screws/washers were clearly grouped together and marked to reference the instructions steps.

Due to the storms the shipping took longer to arrive, didn't receive any tracking information. Wanted to be home when it was delivered . I contacted the seller to ask for the shipping information and got a response within the hour of all the information I needed to contact the local company that would be receiving and delivering. "thank you to the seller"

the ProForm 6.0 RT was packed well, foam inserts and metal brackets . The plastic front hood on the base was cracked. Calling customer service for ProForm was a 10 minute wait, no hassle to place a claim for a replacement hood and one sent out to me. which arrived within 2 weeks. I was told the treadmill would function just fine with the crack front hood until the new one arrived so I put the treadmill together and had been using it on schedule until the new one arrived .

Great simple treadmill, console responds as it should for speed, incline smoothly. I don't use the included running programs at this time, but they look like they would be fun to try them in the future. I'm 5"9" 130 lbs easy adjustment for me to learn to run on the treadmill, the running space is comfortable and more then needed. Can't beat the price , works wells, support from the seller and from customer service..
on April 27, 2013
I bought this treadmill 3 months and 8 days ago (those 8 days become important). Except for one screw that absolutely refused to go into the poorly drilled hole, I was happy with the treadmill. I used it 4-5 times a week to walk and jog for 40-60 minutes. One day I turned it on and the bottom half of the console wouldn't work. The important start and speed buttons were dead. I called ProForm customer service (IconService.com) but gave up after waiting on hold for several minutes. Instead I emailed ProForm's warranty and repair service (also Icon Service) through their website. They replied the next day by telling me to check for loose wires, but there weren't any, and I provided photos to aid in the troubleshooting process. The technician replied and told me I need a new console. He gave me another number to call to order a replacement part. I then waited on hold several minutes, and eventually the new representative informed me that the console has a separate warranty from the deck warranty, and the console warranty only covers 90 days. Thus the replacement part will cost me $250, since my warranty ran out exactly 8 days ago. Since I was now talking to a part supplier, not ProForm, I didn't even get a chance to express my frustration with their product. I only paid $399 for my treadmill, so a $250 repair 3 months later is ridiculous. I ordered the part but can't help but wonder if I will find myself doing this again in 3 months.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2013
I read ALL the previous reviews. I usually start with the 1 star reviews and go from there. Okay so here goes. It was shipped and received timely no problem there. When it was delivered I inquired if they would put it in my family room which is downstairs, there reply was no that the order was for threshold delivery. Oh! I didn't know there was an option for further help wish I had been told as I'm 66 years old and my husband has a really bad heart; but we opened box and transported all downstairs piece by piece. The main part, the treadmill part is of course in one piece and as heavy as can be... I was able to put it together myself and took me about 3 hours as there are a couple of instances that two people would work better, follow the directions they are complete, step by step. As to the performance, it works wonderfully. I started with 20 minutes and am up to an hour a day now. Have been using now a month and can tell I feel much better (I'm a little over weight but not morbidly so), have gotten so much more energy I'm amazed. I hesitated spending the money but am so glad now that I did. My doctor is going to be very happy as I suffer from high blood pressure and that is now down to normal and arthritis is improving.
on January 2, 2013
great treadmill if you are a walker. not to bad to put together with two people. all the features we wanted at a great price. me and my wife have had it for over a month and love it. we also like it because it is a smaller treadmill then most and thats important to us space is limited
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 7, 2013
I decided to stop and write a review for this because I purchased this treadmill largely on the reviews from other buyers. I have been very pleased with this treadmill and use it five days a week. I log 50+ miles per month and this treadmill has proven to be very reliable. It has a large walking surface which was important to me since I am 5'11 and have a long stride. It fits nicely in a snug place in my bedroom even though it is a large machine. I haven't used the fold up feature as I use it so often and once it is folded up, it really doesn't save that much space. Previous reviews state issues with read-out and electronics and I have not experienced any issues with that at all. As far as assembly, my husband and I had it up and running within an hour. All the parts are labeled and instructions are very clear and easy to follow.
on February 4, 2014
Folks this is a great treadmill. First its heavy about 150 lbs. Worked right out of the box. About 2 hours to assembly. No parts missing. Preset speed 0-10 and you can also adjust speed in 1/2 mph increments. Incline preset 0-10 and can also be set in increments of 1/2 degrees. The only thing i would say that is not that precise is the pulse monitor. Speakers are pretty good for my walkman. Just plug it in. Pilot shipping was great there was no damage to the box. Amazon well what can you say they are the best.