Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ProForm 590 T Treadmill
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 18, 2013
ProForm Treadmill: Considerations Before You Buy

About two months ago I purchased a ProForm treadmill. While I have been pleased with the product, I encountered several "surprises" which other prospective customers should know about as they consider a purchase:

* "Space Saver design; folds vertically for storage" (from ProForm's advertisements) -- Really?

** I was disappointed that the treadmill did not fold vertically, as advertised. If it had stored vertically, directly over its base, it would take up about 20% less space than it does. Instead of folding vertically, the deck folds up to an angle of maybe 60 or 70 degrees -- and hangs out from the base into the room. Don't let the size of the small base brackets fool you into thinking that that will be all the space the treadmill will take-up when stored.

** Additionally, the on/off power switch is located on the front edge of the motor shroud -- which means that the front of the treadmill must be located away from the wall so that you can get to the power switch. (If I remember right, the manual says that the treadmill should be placed two feet away from walls and other objects in all directions.)

* You have to unplug the treadmill when it's not in use (from ProForm's user's manual) -- Really?

** The owners manual says that the treadmill needs to be unplugged between uses to prevent the premature failure of the control board. Apparently the on/off power switch on the front edge of the motor shroud is only a soft-off switch -- that is, electricity is still being used to power the control board and perhaps other stuff. (There's no wiring diagram in the owner's manual, so it's hard to know what is still energized when the treadmill is "off".) In any event, you will need an easily accessible outlet to plug and unplug the machine with each use.

Assembly: I didn't have any trouble assembling the treadmill. While not perfect, the instructions are pretty good. If buyers are patient, take time to read the instructions, think about what they are doing, and are not "mechanically impaired" (that is, they don't know which end of a screwdriver to use), they should be able to assemble it without problem. However, it will probably take a few hours (-- I spent about 3 hours, but I was working alone and at a leisurely pace.)

Heart Rate Monitor: The heart rate monitor (built into the handbar) is not reliable. Occasionally it works relatively well (that is, it has accurate and stable readings), while most of the time it fluctuates wildly (for example, with the heart rate being reported as 64, a few seconds later as 176, 154, 97, etc.)

Durability: I've only had the treadmill for a couple of months, so I can't rate durability. I haven't had any problems -- but my expectation is that a treadmill should last at least 10 years (-- my last treadmill was about 15 years old when we moved and left it behind, so I expect I should get a similar lifespan from this or any treadmill).

Ratings are always very subjective. This treadmill meets my needs, but I'm disappointed about the misleading space saving advertising. Additionally I consider the location of "soft-off" switch on the front of the motor shroud as a very poor design (as it could have been placed on the control panel where I would be convenient for users). I am also troubled by the requirement of plugging and unplugging the treadmill between each use; it would have been easy for a "hard-off" power switch to have been mounted in a convenient place on the treadmill. Because of these advertising and design issues, I'm rating this as 3-stars.

Note: ProForm makes many models of treadmills, only a portion of which are advertised on Amazon. The size of the running decks and motors vary from model to model, as well as the electronic console features. The specific model which I purchased (for about $1,000) is not listed on Amazon. However, the engineering design is the same on all of the models. People looking for space-savings and convenience will want to consider the design issues I have identified -- and should watch for similiar issues in treadmills by other manufacturers.
22 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2013
This is my second treadmill I have ever owned. The first one was a Weslo Cadence LX15 and I loved it! I gave it away because the doctor had told me to quit walking due to SI joint issues. Not long after I gave it away it quit working...but I tell you what...I got lots of years use on that thing.

Now this new treadmill. First off, let me say that I did quite a lot of research before I took the plunge and bought this. Once I had it narrowed down to the brand of treadmill I wanted I then had to narrow it down to which one!!! I knew I wanted a Proform by all that I read. I then found a link which shared with me what I ought to look for to meet my needs within the Proform types.

[...]

This helped immensely!

I bought the largest motor size for the price I was willing to pay. This one has the 2.5 sized motor.

I wanted one that had a wider walking tread as some of them can be wayyyy too narrow. This one is 20 inches wide and works great.

I wanted one that had the doo-hickies I could watch to encourage me as I walked...the distance, time, heart rate. This one surpasses my needs in this area and even has a place to plug in my mp3 player as well as ifit.

Putting it together...I would not of been able to do this on my own!!! (For one because this is not my area of expertise :) ) But my dear husband...he can put anything together. I was my husband's assistant and it took us about 2 hours. We put it together in the room where I was going to use it.

This is a nice looking machine and quite sturdy.

One thing I do not like about it...I feel I am "pounding" my feet down hard as I walk...and it makes things shake a bit in the room. (I jokingly imagine I am this huge monster going after someone lol)

I also do not like that it does not have a fan of it's own. I wanted this and looked for this but did not want to head into the higher price range to obtain it.

I can and will try to find a fan that will be suitable for the small room where I have my treadmill.

I am happy I purchased this.

I did not buy it from Amazon though...I bought it at our local Menards for 499.99 PLUS will be receiving an 11% rebate. I see that now they have it for this same price but now there is a $100 rebate...hmmmmm. Still not sorry I bought it when I did.

If you buy this you will need a surge protector. There is a re-set button on this treadmill but it's in a bad place...at the bottom of the front end. The place I put my treadmill...in a right-hand corner...I have to lay across the treadmill to push that re-set button. But as luck would have it, I found a surge protector that has a button you step on to turn on and off and now I am thinking I may want to get this for other places as well!!! Just step and click and your off and running!

I know they say you are supposed to wear shoes for protection when using a treadmill...but I don't and never have. I don't want my tread all marked up since it's all nice and new.

I am excited for having a treadmill once again. I have chosen to ignore my doctor and instead choose to listen to my body concerning exercise. I don't use the incline as notice it causes my SI joint issues to flare up. Also this treadmill is said to have such wonderful shock absorption but I don't find this to be true. Actually the cheaper treadmill I had in the past was better that way.

All in all...I am glad I purchased this treadmill and I would recommend it to you.

I will come back here and re-post once I have had my treadmill for more time and have used it more.

One thing I do know...for you Christians out there who are also prayer warriors...walking on the treadmill I have found to be one of the ways I can have time with the Lord and pray. Father God speaks to me as I walk. I recommend this type of time with Him!!!! God bless you!!!

Happy walking!!! :)
on September 18, 2012
The treadmill does what it is designed for, good workout, we use without the ifit live and still good features to work with. very less noise making, well built at this price, good one for starter treadmill for people under 300 lbs. we like the weight loss progam, gives very good workout in all settings. response time after changing settings is pretty fast. we are already loosing wieght after using it for few weeks.
on November 14, 2013
First unit came in a damaged box. I did not accept and sent it back with the driver. Small parts were falling out of the box. Broken parts. The box is way to light weight for a unit this size and weight. Amazon did a great job sending a replacement. I had it in 3 days! The 2nd unit came in the same kind of box but not damaged. The unit is heavy so you may want to consider someone to help move and assemble it. The instructions were clear and I had all the parts and in good condition. It took me about 2 hours to assemble and I did not rush. I did have my grown son to help with the heavy lifting and my wife did a great job removing the waste as it got in the way. We put it on a mat which I do recommend. The Treadmill runs with low noise which I was very pleased with. My wife and I ran it through the paces, speed, incline etc. and all seems good. I would recommend this for entry/mid level walkers and light joggers. The unit seems solid enough but if you jog on this thing everyday you may stress the motor and belt.

It is a good unit for the price range it s in. I do not have regrets.
on December 3, 2013
This treadmill is awesome!!! It wasn't hard to put together, the amazon shipping options were great, and it didn't break the bank. My wife and I both use this treadmill and we couldn't be happier. It has speakers on it that are great for my ipod! The other good thing is I can watch TV while using this treadmill, this isn't one of those that are so loud you have to turn the tv all the way up to watch it!! If you are looking for a treadmill I do recommend this one. It is solid, the screen is bright, has plenty of speed and incline options etc. GREAT PRODUCT
on December 15, 2013
This works for my husband and I have been finding it hard to find time to work out with work and a 2 year old and 4 year old at home. It's not quite, but it's not loud. I don't have to adjust the volume on the tv at all, and I had it in our living room. It's now going into our master bedroom because the kids have tried to get on while we are on it. The incline is a little slow to get set but it does a good enough job. The belt is a little tight like it could use some lube. It's wide enough to run on and the impact bounce back isn't terrible.
on January 3, 2013
This is a nice, simple treadmill with enough features to keep things interesting. The only issue is I am having a little difficulty keeping the belt centered between my wife and I; the belt wants to shift a little bit between users. Haven't had much time to troubleshoot it so it may be an easy fix.
on March 12, 2013
If you are considering buying a Proform treadmill you should think twice. The lifetime motor warranty is what convinced me to purchase this treadmill. Sounds like a great think in theory but of course there is a catch. After less than 20 hours of use the treadmill started to make a loud noise, the belt wouldn't turn and the house smelled like burnt wire. Took the cover off and discovered the motor was very hot. Felt confident I was covered due to the lifetime warranty on the motor so I called up Proforms customer service. As a sidebar you should prepare yourself to be on hold for at least 20 minutes every time you call Proforms customer service hotline. Back on point I called Proform and was told sure the motor is covered but you have to pay $140 to have their guy come out and confirm that is the problem. I agreed to pay the service fee and waited for the technician to call and setup an appointment. I continued to wait for an entire week. Only after calling Proform customer service again did they have someone call me. He scheduled said appointment for 2 weeks out on a Monday night at 6pm. Technichian was a nice enough fella that confirmed sure enough the motor was bad. He called the information in to Proform while standing in my living room on speaker phone so that I could hear the conversation. Lady on the other end told him someone would contact me about parts for my machine within 48 hours. Again I waited to be contacted only to have to call Proform back 3 days later. After waiting on hold for 25 mins the man on the end of the phone said the technician never filed his field report therefore they couldn't help me. They agreed to email the technician and ask him for the report. Suggested I wait 48 hours for someone to call. Waited 3 more days and again had to call Proform. They said the technician still hadn't filed his report so again there was nothing than can do. It was at this time I realized how they can offer a lifetime warranty on the motor. They throw you in this BS loop wherein the tell you the technician works for someone else whom they have no control over and they can't move forward without his report. It has been 2 months of daily calls and conversations with the manager to no avail. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS.
33 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2013
It is a great machine. It really is sturdy and powerful. I like the size and how it looks. Cons is that it does not close fully its half open and the heart rate fluctuates back and forth and does not work. Other then that I had my dad and friend assemble it and they gave it an hour. These men are both good at this. It took them 1.5 hours and I would never have been able to assemble it at all. Its great for home and for the price.
on December 16, 2012
I have had my Proform T for a little over a month and have lost 10 pounds. I would say the treadmill is doing it's job just fine. I decided to purchase the ifit module shortly after receiving the treadmill. I love having different workouts downloaded every time I use the machine. You will never get bored!!!!!