5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent unit Very pleased with my purchase
Published 18 months ago by diglyd

The manufacturer commented on the review below
2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed
First bike had ripped seat and terrible rattle. Amazon was great in sending replacement and getting the old one sent back. New one is better but very noisy. Not up to disassembling and reassembling another time so will live with the noise. Does fold up well but there are no wheels so you still have to lift it
Published 10 months ago by Pat Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent unit Very pleased with my purchase, May 14, 2013
This review is from: ProGear 190 Compact Space Saver Recumbent Bike with Heart Pulse Sensors (Sports)
I purchased this bike a week ago not through Amazon but a local retailer as it was easier for me to pick it up then have it delivered when I was not home. I usually get most of my stuff via amazon but I opted to get it shipped to a store instead. The box btw is compact where it will fit into a small car and is much smaller then for example the Marcy recumbent bike or any bikes that size.

The unit came pretty much pre-assembled. When you open the box it looks like there are a ton of pieces but there are not. It is just how its laid out in the box. It is essentially 5 or 6 large pieces and a few screws laid out very clearly on a cardboard plastic wrapping covered sheet. There is the magnetic wheel part, 2 pedals, the handle bars, 2 pieces of the seat (the back support and seat itself) and the middle adjusting seat frame, LCD unit, the the main frame. It took my brother who is not mechanically inclined and quite slow about 25 minutes to put together. It worked like a charm once it was set up. Very easy to follow instructions. You can't mess this up.

I bought it so that I could play video games with my xbox 360 controller or watch movies and get a little bit of a workout at the same time. I have a bad habit of sitting in front of the computer for long periods of time without moving so I wanted something that would help me get the blood pumping while I was playing a video game. The first time I used the bike for about 30 minutes I got quite a sweat. For reference I weigh about 190 lb. The max weight for this unit is 270lb.

My only issue is that the seat is a little wide so that if you are slim or narrow the seat part might rub against your bottom thighs as its not narrow enough in the front like a bike seat. However that can be fixed with just putting something underneath it or moving your butt forward a bit. The seat is large and relatively comfortable. Keep in mind this is a bike that costs $129 or so and for that price it is well constructed and quality. At this price I at least do not have unrealistic expectations and expecting the same stuff as on a bile that costs $1000. For what it offers it is a good product imho. The LCD is clear and it has the heart rate clamps on the handlebars to measure heart rate which is cool.

I have now used this unit for a few days without any problem. Do not pay attention to the reviews that say there are a ton of pieces and its hard to put together. That is nonsense. The pieces easily fit together. There is one cable that connects all the electronics on each piece where needed and basically you have less then a dozen screws. if you open the manual it shows a ton of pieces but that is a diagram if someone actually opened the pre-assembled components into their respective parts or if they wanted to do a complete teardown.

Also there is plenty of resistance. I left it on whatever the default one was out of the box and I got quite a sweat going only after about 20 minutes. I have a high metabolism and am actually in decent shape so it takes a bit to get me worked up. The unit is very portable and compact. The back seat folds forward and the whole units folds in. It does not sway side to side and is quite well built. I am actually very happy so far. I will make updates to this review if necessary.

So far this is a very quality unit and it looks slick. If you have limited space or you want to get a bike that is quiet and you want to get a workout while you are watching movies or on the computer or have something that is easily portable this is a good purchase. The bike is not heavy and it fits easily through a door. You also do not need to have 2 people or any other tools to put it together besides the hex wrench and the wrench that comes in the box. You also do not need any other tools to make adjustments to the unit. Its easy to move the seat back and forth and to adjust tension.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good product for the money, August 22, 2013
the product was well packaged; I received mine without any damage. I am a klutz and putting things together is very hard for me. When I opened the box, and saw the many parts I was sorely tempted to send it back. However I read the instructions and took every thing out of the box. I could see THEN that it was partly assembled, but I needed to put the seat components together, handle bars, connect the wires and install the computer. I also needed to put on the pedals and the straps. I use this product easily without the straps. I found the straps hard to put on due to ra.

Interestingly the right pedal had to be put in clock wise, AND THE LEFT PEDAL HAD TO BE PUT IN COUNTER CLOCK WISE OR THE screw threads WOULD BE STRIPPED. The screws are all packaged together shrink wrapped and there is a diagram that shows what part each of the screws are for. You will need all the screws so do not lose any.

Listen my fellow klutzes DO NOT DUMP OUT THE SCREWS TOGETHER IN A BUNCH. Although some screws seem similar, THEY CANNOT BE MIXED. You will have all the necessary tools to put it together. Please, please take time to read the instructions carefully, and as many times as it takes to understand them. You will also have good pictures of the screws needed for each part of the assembly. Only remove the needed screws per each stage of assembly of the product-LEAVE THE OTHERS ALONE! Use a small or sharp scissors to cut out the screws you need, leaving the others wrapped and undisturbed.

I know there are many out there who could assemble this thing with their eyes closed, but I am NOT one of them. Little by little with a great deal of patience, the product was put together, and thus far works without a hitch, including the computer.

The covering for the fly wheel seems to me could have been put together more tightly but appears stable. It is space saving and I find it can fold up easily. It has a knob to dial in level of resistance, and it works from easy to hard pedaling. I think you have to be very carful in assembly or you will have a messed up product. The resistance really work, so if you are a senior with weak legs resistance 1-2 will let you happily pedal without undue strain. The higher resistances really do work too,if the bike is assembled properly and the wires connected right.

Now I want to address the seat: it is well padded and the seat has a wide bottom. As one reviewer noted when you pedal the back of your thighs just under the butt lightly brushes against the outer edge of the seat. If this bothers you, it can be helped by sitting more forward. It makes leaning back against the seat while pedaling a little less comfortable. This is the only problem I see with this bike, coming from the design of the seat. A seat with a more T shaped configuration would allow pedaling without the back of the thighs touching anything. I guess nothing is perfect, but I am still glad I purchased the bike. The batteries don't last long, but can be easily changed by pulling out the pin that keeps the computer in place, and tilting it forward to easily reach the battery holder and replace the battery.

The manufacturer noted that THE PRODUCT SHOULD NOT BE USED IN AREAS OF HIGH MOISTURE.

Again my dear fellow klutzes if the screws are not put in properly and firmly screwed in the bike is unsafe to use, you will have a seat that wobbles, and an unstable bike that will shift like crazy when you try to use it. If you are not a klutz like me, you will find it much easier to assemble this bike.

The handle bars contain the sensors to register vital signs to the computer. It will be registered as long as your hands are on the sensors.

This product is such a pleasure. It feels so good not to have to go out to a gym and saves the expense of one. I love quietly exercising in my own home dressed the way I want, and having my own private facilities to freshen up in. I have been using the product a short time and already feel better. Make sure you use shoes with a good sole, because the pedals are very hard and deeply embossed. I pedal with my nike house shoes on without any problem and very comfortably.

I find as I am getting used to pedaling I can gently work my upper body as well while doing so. I do recommend this product which is very sturdy. Now if your knees touch the computer as you pedal, you can pull out its pin and reposition it to the lower level, to avoid this issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Being short may be a problem, but easy fix!, September 10, 2013
Had knee replacement surgery right after my very bulky but expensive recumbent bike died. Figures, huh? Anyway, we bought this one mostly because it was smaller and lighter. There were some reviews that noted it "wasn't made for short people" but I figured we could work around it if it really was a problem. Well, it is a problem -- sort of. I am 5'3" and don't have long legs. At the shortest setting I was about a half inch shy of the pedals on full extension. Grabbed a couch decorator pillow, but it behind my back and it fits like a dream! And it's more comfortable than the seat back. Plenty of room on the bottom part of the seat, not 'hanging off' at all. The bike is comfy, works great and I am thrilled! One thing that is really cool is that you can lower the screen box if you have issues getting on the bike, makes it much easier to get on and off. I really like this bike and would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, December 2, 2012
I needed something to exercise on and small enough to fit in my small home. This was perfect. I sit it up next to my loveseat chaise in the entertainment room and watch tv while I work out. it's big seat makes it easy to exercise for a long time. I love the back to the seat to support my back as I bike. Also it keeps track of how far I go and calories, speed and more. You can reset it or just keep it on there to keep track for how ever long you want. It's easy to get on and off of. The only problem I had was it takes about an hour too put together. But the instructions are very helpful. I have a bad right knee and leg and it doesn't hurt
my leg or knee at all. Thanks so much for a wonderful way for me to get in shape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed to lose weight!, May 10, 2013
This stationary bike fits perfectly in my living room. I was able to put it together within an hour with not too much trouble. I used it last night for the first time and rode it for an hour. It gave me a great cardio work out, got my heart pumping and made me sweat like crazy. Very much worth the money. I always read reviews before purchasing a product especially online. There weren't too many to see regarding this product so it was a hit or miss. I put in my head phones, turned the music up and my boyfriend put the captioning on the tv while I sat and worked out. I am excited to start losing weight again by using this machine. I have about 10 pounds to lose and I think with eating healthy and riding the bike I will be able to accomplish that!

It's been 2 weeks since I wrote that first part and I am stilll activly using the bike. Its a great purchase and I am losing weight. I can literally see the inches going away. I am riding at a pace of 25 MPH for 60 minutes and its busting my A$$!! Love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pro Gear 190...GREAT BIKE!!!!, March 20, 2013
We have owned 5 exercise bikes and this one is by far the BEST! Very light weight! A breeze to assemble! Took me only an hour to put it all together! LOVE that it is so easy to move from room to room!

4.0 out of 5 stars It does as it says., December 4, 2012
I like this exercise bike. It is what I needed to complete my aerobic workout program. I assembled it in a 1/2 hour. I began using it right away, and it performs as advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tall individuals, August 8, 2013
I was very weary about purchasing a bike online. I prefer to do so at the store wanting to sit and size the bike up for myself to make sure all was ok, due to my height 6'0, I have a lot of leg room and the seat can easily be adjusted, since i have a bad back the back board is great for support allowing me to ride without pain, the bike arrived early. It took my husband all night and the next day to put it together but the wait was well worth it, the bike can be adjusted and is suprisingly comfortable, the only issue I have with the bike is the location of the display, I can barely see the mileage or duration of my workout unless I get off the bike. Other than wishing they placed the display higher... the bike is great, takes up little to no space. I highly recommend a redesign of the display though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to promises, March 15, 2013
It's almost silent. It doesn't strain my neck or back. I can read or watch TV or talk while using it. It was easy to construct. It folds easily and quickly. I can pick it up and carry it or I can roll it to the closet when I want to hide it. When I put the backrest down, it can sit behind a living chair and not be noticeable. I can get my exercise when it's raining or snowing, or when I have to be home for the day. Couldn't have asked for more!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, January 3, 2014

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jan 6, 2014 2:28:08 AM PST
ParadigmHW says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Dear customer,
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the problem you are experiencing with the noise from the main frame, which can be resolve by a replacement from us. Please contact us at 1-866-924-1688 or service@paradigmhw.com, service2@paradigmhw.com and service3@paradigmhw.com in order for us to process the replacement part for you and provide further assist.

ProGear 190 Compact Space Saver Recumbent Bike with Heart Pulse Sensors
$199.99 $113.59
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.