5.0 out of 5 stars Saved everything from crashed drive!
Published on November 24, 2009 by Doug in Austin

3.0 out of 5 stars Needles in a haystack
Published on August 7, 2010 by BertP

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved everything from crashed drive!, November 24, 2009
This review is from: Data Rescue 3 (Software)
My drive that I had thousands of photos and videos on suddenly would not show up on my mac. After trying everything I could think of, I purchased Data Rescue 3. It took about 7 hours for the data to be transferred to the new drive. After it was done I tried to open some of the files, and they would not open! I should have read the instructions first, and recovered a couple of files, then checked them. Well, to make a long story short, I called the customer assistance line, and got a real human being on the phone! Mike had me explain what I had done, and then led me through how to change a setting. He stayed on the phone with me as I recovered 3 files, and checked them. The 3 files were good, so I then did the entire drive. Everything seems to be in good shape, with no data lost. I have to say I'm VERY IMPRESSED with Data Rescue 3, and the customer support they give. Thank you Mike! I highly recommend Data Rescue 3 to anyone who has a hard drive problem. Just remember to USE DATA RESCUE 3 BEFORE TRYING TO FIX YOUR DRIVE.. You are liable to overwrite valuable information and make recovery impossible if you don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't ask for anything more, November 1, 2009
This review is from: Data Rescue 3 (Software)
I accidentally deleted an important financial file with multiple hours of work put into it. Michael, from Data Rescue's customer support, went from, "Alright, let's see if we can get this," all the way through multiple phone calls to help me think through all the possible ways of tracking it down. I called, he answered; we tried another thought process. I called again; he was always there. If you're like me, this is all you really could ask for when needing help finding/recovering something that you lost: someone to do it with you. Although mine was a unique situation, with one file to rescue, he gave me all the support and attention I needed to feel like I gave it my best shot to get the file back before realizing that I had probably overwritten the drive with other data. This was way beyond "standard" support and I believe it was his genuine care for me as a customer that makes this review easy to write.

Thank you again, Michael, and if you want to check out their demo (I'm not getting any payment for this, etc.) the app is well done, thorough, and something that after using to find my file did not leave me wondering if I had done the best. I felt like the combination was the best I could have received.

Data Rescue is the product at the top of my list for future needs! In my experience, I could not have asked for anything more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best $100 I've ever spent, December 29, 2009
This review is from: Data Rescue 3 (Software)
My hard drive crashed a few months ago and the only way to get my computer to work again was to have the hard drive erased, and a new operating system installed. I was warned that I would lose everything, which I did. I went to a few shops that specialize in Macs and told that they "might" be able to retrieve data and the cost would be several hundred dollars up to a thousand dollars just to "see" if any data could be retrieved. Luckily for me I waited.

I saw Data Rescue 3 at the Apple Store and was immediately attracted to the low price (only $100) and I figured I would give it a shot before deciding to spend big bucks at one of the specialized Mac stores. I installed the software and ran the program overnight. When I woke up it had found all the data that I was hoping to retrieve (all my pictures from iPhoto). The software worked beautifully and seemlessly.

Since i'm kind of computer illiterate I ran into a couple snags that were not the fault of Data Rescue. I was able to write a quick email to their support team and through a couple emails with Mike was able to resolve all my issues and I now seven years worth of data back.

I highly recommend this product.

eric

3.0 out of 5 stars Needles in a haystack, August 7, 2010
This review is from: Data Rescue 3 (Software)
Software Data Rescue 3 does an admirable job of recovering erased/re-formatted data, and it identifies many file types (e.g. "PDF," TIFF," "Office Document," etc.). However, it does this without restoring the individual file names: since the names are lost, the user is left with the mind-numbing task of opening and reviewing each file to find the one(s) worth keeping and re-naming. In other words, if you're dealing with a lot of data (Terabytes in my case), you are left with the huge task of manually differentiating every record in order to find your really important documents. I'd give Data Rescue Pro a 5 rating if it retrieved files with names intact. It's a whole lot better than nothing, but not perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick - accurate - selective - and it WORKED!, August 29, 2010
This review is from: Data Rescue 3 (Software)
I have to praise this product. It was simple to get started, and it transformed my disaster into a "rescue". The Quick Scan recovered my hard drive exactly to my specification:

1) I specified the first mode of recovery - Quick Scan;
2) With the reconstructed directory calculated by Data Rescue, I selected only the folders and the files I needed to recover - they were easily found because the reconstructed directory was accurate and "normal" just like I had seen on the failed drive before it failed;
3) I specified the destination drive for the recovered folders and files I selected, and they were deposited there one by one with the same directory structure as on the original drive when that drive was healthy.

Completely intuitive - quick - accurate - selective - and it WORKED!

And a final note - the technical support was terrific, too. Upon registration and a question or two, Prosoft support staff sensed I was a beginner with their product and provided just a bit of hand-holding to insure that I used their product effectively and got the results I needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars It saved my entire movie, and several others., October 6, 2010
This review is from: Data Rescue 3 (Software)
My title says it all...I had two hard drives that were mirror images of each other, a terabyte in size each, which contained several Final Cut Pro projects, including an independent feature-length dramatic movie that I'd been working on for almost 3-1/2 years. I had a program called NTI Shadow that registered changes made between the two drives; when I saved something on one drive, NTI Shadow made that same change onto the second drive to back things up.

Long story-short, I had to delete the second drive because of a space issue...the idea was that I would free up that backup drive, then RE-copy everything from the primary drive over to the second drive. I didn't realize it, but NTI Shadow, which I thought I'd quit, was still running in the background; when I deleted the second drive, NTI Shadow did its job, copying the changes to the first drive...wiping it out entirely as well. Before I realized what had happened, I had emptied my trash bin...and destroyed all my movie projects, including my BABY...only *DAYS* before I was submitting it to the Sundance Film Festival.

After a minor nervous breakdown, I started Googling data recovery software, and discovered two recommendations; the first was called StellarPhoenix, and the second being Data Rescue 3.

I tried StellarPhoenix first, and wasted days with it. It kept freezing and crashing. The interface was confusing. And, most of all, when I tried to get through to their tech support, no matter WHAT time of day (I tried morning, noon, night, and LATE night), I got a recording saying I was 3rd in line, 2nd in line, next in line...then the system would hang up on me...every single time, like clock-work. So I said "screw this" and tried Data Rescue 3.

COMPETE difference. The interface was way more straightforward, and the program worked smoothly. When I tried calling tech support, they picked up right away, and I got tons of help and advice from a gentleman named Michael, who was super knowledgeable and genuinely interested in helping me. He gave me his email and told me to contact him by phone or email with any questions I had, and true to his word, when I left him voice-mails and sent him emails over the course of the next week with various questions, he always called back and emailed back in less than 24 hours, often within *2* hours. And he called and emailed ME several times afterwards a few times, unprompted, to check in, ask about my progress, and to see if I had any further questions. My experience with him was fantastic.

The program itself recovered a large percentage of my project and media files, a TERABYTE worth of stuff...enough that within only a few days after running my data recovery, I was able to completely restore my movie (I had to recapture a little bit of my footage and reconnect the media to replace stuff that wasn't recovered, but largely, most of it was intact). Thankfully, under the circumstances, Sundance gave me an extension on my submission deadline, and I got the movie submitted to them just in time.

I absolutely recommend Data Recovery 3. The program did exactly as advertised, cleanly, effectively. It may not recover everything, but it will recover A LOT, if not everything, intact; for me, it covered about 85-90%, which saved me MONTHS of having to recapture and re-edit my entire movie. And equally important, Michael and the tech support helped me through this upsetting and confusing time, and helped me out the other side.

I know this sounds like a glowing review almost not to be believed, but my experience really was this good.

So...recap: StellarPhoenix sucked and wasted days of my time. Data Rescue 3 rocked, as did their tech support, and I recommend them whole-heartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, February 28, 2010
This review is from: Data Rescue 3 (Software)
When told I would never be able to retrieve photos, which I unintentionally lost in my hard drive..... as well as some accidentally deleted from a flash card, I refused to believe it. "Data Rescue 3" by ProSoft Engineering...... I'm delighted to say..... was the answer. I was able to retrieve ALL my precious photos. I would highly recommend this software to anyone in need of retrieving lost files! It's well worth a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!!!, July 22, 2010
This review is from: Data Rescue 3 (Software)
I bought the Date Rescue 3 for my Mac when I accidentally deleted my entire photo library off of my computer and then on top of that, emptied the "trash" on my Mac. BIG oops. When I bought the download version off of their website, I was able to use my brothers Mac for the 'target disk mode' option and recover all of my lost files directly onto a external hard drive.

Not only did I recover all of my pictures, and them some, all the while I had unbelievable support from a great guy named Mike. The support at ProSoft is amazing. He emailed me step by step instructions since I had no idea what 'target disk mode' was, and he followed up on it, emailing back a few days later to check up on how things went.

Best part of all, now I have this great program and support in case I were to need it ever again (knock on wood).

5.0 out of 5 stars DATA RESCUE 3 IS OUTSTANDING, May 12, 2010
This review is from: Data Rescue 3 (Software)
I thought I lost all my priceless photos from shoots around the world when they were accidentally trashed and then the trash emptied. In desperation, I bought Data Rescue 3.
But when I could not get the software to work on my aging computer, mostly because of my lack of computer savvy, I called the company's technical support. Mike spent
literally hours graciously helping me. Even when I was often impatient and willing to abandon the process, he kept encouraging me to continue. Thank goodness I did since
I retrieved ALL of my photographs. I am so grateful not only for the excellent software, which would have been quite easy to use if I did not have my own issues, but for
the excellent support I received. I highly recommend this product and this company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Customer Support, January 29, 2010
A Aragon (escondido California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Data Rescue 3 (Software)
As a neophyte to complicated technical computer problem resolution, and I am just the type that finds themselves in trouble from time to time, Prosoft Data Rescue 3 Technical Engineering Customer Support representative Michael, made my day. I called at the "crack of dawn" with a list of questions and needed explanations and reassurances. Michael with the utmost patience took his time to carefully and clearly explained what to do, how to do it and then provided me with necessary information to complete my data retrieval on my own. His attention to advanced planning and a ready set of step-by-step instructions made my whole experience go from bad/terrible to Success and phenomenal! I highly recommend this product for data retrieval and know that their customer support representatives will be there for you if you need them. Ask for Michael, you wont be sorry!

Data Rescue 3
Data Rescue 3 by ProSoft Engineering (Mac, Mac OS X)
Used & New from: $73.99