5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Technical Support

Published on May 25, 2012 by Scott F. Lowry

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, But other products are better, May 25, 2012
Scott F. Lowry (Walnut Creek, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Data Rescue PC v3.0 (CD-ROM)
Disclaimer: Hard drive corruption and data deletion issues differ. My review is based on the corrupted disc that I have, as well as various other deleted data scenarios (listed in the full review). I'm relatively technical - but not overly so. I'm not affiliated with any of the products I mention. This review assesses software from R-Studio that was purchased directly from R-Studio ([...] Image Rescue 4 by Lexar Media, as well as Data Rescue PC3.

Bottom Line First:
Emergency Rescue CD: R-Studio worked better than Data Rescue PC3. DRPC3 booted, but didn't recover data
Corrupted Drive plugged into PC: DRPC3 did not recognize the data. R-Studio recognized and recovered data quickly.
Deleted Files on PC: Both DRPC3 and R-Studio can recover deleted files.
Deleted Photos on Memory Card: Lexar Image Rescue 4 is the cheapest. R-Studio and DRPC3 both will allow full image recovery.

Full Review: Members of my family have a habit of running hard drives until they are trashed and not even thinking about backing anything up - because dad will fix it. I am relatively tech savvy, but I was unprepared when my wife's notebook wouldn't boot, wouldn't repair using the Windows7 repair disc and she had a year's worth of data on it. Hmmmm....

First step: pull the drive and try to read it from an external usb housing - no luck. Step 2 was to order this software and choose expedited shipping, then forget about it until the software arrived. Unfortunately, the vendor (Price Pros) didn't ship it for a week and when the weekend came I had no Data Rescue PC3 software. Since I wanted to get this done asap, I ordered and downloaded a product called R-Studio. I hooked the drive up to my working PC and pointed to the drive and told it to "read the disc". Presto! 300,000 entries found. I chose to sort them by extensions and copies all doc, ppt, xls, etc. to my PC and the job was done!

So, why am I writing this review of Data Rescue PC3? Because I couldn't cancel my order. Software orders, even if unopened, are not returnable at Amazon (and certainly not if purchased by Price Pros). The software arrived yesterday and the only thing to do is open it and review the two products (R-Studio and Data Rescue PC) side-by-side. Here goes.

Unwrapped Data Rescue PC3 today. It comes in a box as pictured and with one disc inside (the emergency boot disc). I popped the corrupted hard drive back into my wife's notebook (I had since replaced it) inserted the disc and fired it up. For those who don't know, you have to hold F12 when the computer is booting to launch a screen that will allow you to select "boot from CD". The boot disc worked fine and it launched a slick GUI. It recognized a couple of drive partitions and I asked it to scan the partition that was about 700GB (where the data would be). It gave an estimated scan time of over 5 hours. Yikes! After about 5 minutes, it ran into some errors and told me that if I continued to scan I could further damage the disc. I aborted the scan, turned off the PC and decided to try the same thing with R-Studio, using an emergency repair disc that can be downloaded as part of R-Studio.

R-Studio booted fine with the Emergency Boot Disc and launched their GUI (they also have a text version of the emergency repair disc - not sure why you would use this). With R-Studio, you have to register the boot disk to the PC that you are recovering, so you can't use the boot disc to recover multiple machines. You only get one recovery with the license (a drawback for R-Studio). I chose to launch it in demo mode because I don't really have to recover this machine. The GUI launched fine, the main disc was recognized, and I selected "Recover Files" from the 700GB partition. The scan took about 10 minutes, but it did recover the 300k files. Thus, I would give R-Studio's emergency disc the nod over Data Rescue PC3, but give Data Rescue PC3 the nod if you have to recover multiple machines.

Back to Data Rescue PC3 - Besides having the Emergency Boot Disc, DRPC3 also has a program (on the same disc) that you install on your PC. I took the corrupted disc from my wife's laptop and put it into a usb case and plugged it in and launched Data Rescue PC3. The drive showed up as two drives (drive R and S) in Windows Explorer, but I couldn't view any files or folders. I launched DRPC3 and the drives (R&S) were not readable. DRPC3 was NOT able to read the data from the corrupted disc when plugged into my PC through an external USB drive. This was disappointing and, had my only option for data recovery been Data Rescue PC3, I would not have been able to recover data from this corrupted disc. In comparison, R-Data recovered data from the disc in about 10 minutes.

Final Test - Recovery of photos from a reformatted card. For this test, I already own a product called Image Rescue 4 from Lexar Media, which is cheaper than either R-Studio or DRPC3. However, this software is just for recovery of image files. To test, I took a Compact Flash card from my Nikon DSLR and reformatted it. Windows won't read the files, and Lightroom recognizes the disk as "Nikon D700", but doesn't see any photos on the card. When I launch DRPC3, it sees the 4GB card and after scanning, pulls up 278 NEF files and 40 jpgs. This was pretty fast and painless. Next I launched R-Studio. I was surprised that the interface for recovering images was not intuitive. Selecting "Open Drive Files" didn't reveal any of the deleted photos. I did a full scan of the card and it produced 175 nefs and the same 40 jpgs (not sure why there were 103 less nefs). Finally, Image Rescue 4 has the easiest interface of any of the programs, just select the drive and choose "scan". IR4 found 318 total images - the same as DRPC3. Given that Image Rescue 4 is about 1/2 the cost, I'd give the nod to Lexar Image Rescue 4.

In conclusion - if you have tough data corruption issues, R-data is the software that you want. If you are recovering deleted files, you could go with R-data or Data Rescue PC3. If you just want to recover deleted images from a memory card of from a remote drive, Lexar Image Rescue will do the job for less money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Technical Support, May 18, 2011
This review is from: Data Rescue PC v3.0 (CD-ROM)
After I was rejected by someone from the "Geek Squad," whom by the way, seemed as though he'd rather be doing something else! He didn't even bother to look at my PC. He just simply said "there's nothing that can be done!" Completely devastated, my eyes were welling up with tears because in that moment, I was thinking "I'll NEVER be able to get back the pictures of my deceased brother again!!"

Not wanting to lose hope, I began searching the internet for something, anything that could help me. It was then, when I came across the Data Rescue PC3 software. I called the company straight away and the operator was a bundle of information. Even before I'd purchased the product, I called the technical support line and was beyond excited to learn that there was hope in a box!!

I purchased the product and although I believe it should come with a manual(manual is online), I contacted technical support and was blown away by the care in which Mike and Russ had shown me during our very lengthy conversations! I called SEVERAL times and each time they were extremely patient and went above and beyond my expectations! I'm happy to report that I was able to retrieve everything!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Other companies should learn from you on how to treat a customer! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny!!, December 2, 2010
This review is from: Data Rescue PC v3.0 (CD-ROM)
Connected damaged drive via external USB enclosure.

Created Prosoft Data Rescue boot disk

Booted...
Scanned for devices...
Selected Source Drive (bad disk)
Selected Destination disk (another USB drive I attached to the computer)
Index is built
Selected files to restore (48GB worth)
Started restore...
All files recovered, and filenames intact.

I tried two other recovery programs with no luck... drive wouldn't even show up in the scanning of devices regardless of external/internal connection, various jumper settings, etc...

This software works, and will be part of my PC toolkit from now on.

1.0 out of 5 stars no joy, January 8, 2013
This review is from: Data Rescue PC v3.0 (CD-ROM)
My wife's hard drive died with over 160 gb of pictures and work files. These are all of our pictures since our first daughter was born. She ignored my requests to back it up so they were gone. Tried this product trying to avoid the minimum 350 dollar offsite retrieval. Ran the scan using demo from the manufactures site took five and a half hours and it showed all the files we wanted. Bought the software the next morning. But the hard drive had gotten worse with the scan. The full version was unable to recover a single file. It gave me read errors then would stop the scan on its own after scanning only .023 gb of the 500gb hdd. I tried doing the scan two different ways 1. in a hdd enclosure connected to another computer 2. with the hdd in the original computer. Called customer support they told me if their product couldn't run then I had two options throw drive and info away or send offsite and spend close to 1000 to have them tear it apart in a cleanroom. So I got R-studio data recovery software. Recovered 154.8 Gb of files, lost "only" 5.2 gb of data. R-studio is cheaper and in my case worked faster and got my info where data rescue pc3 was unable to pull a single file.

5.0 out of 5 stars Data Rescue PC3 Works, June 16, 2010
This review is from: Data Rescue PC v3.0 (CD-ROM)
I purchased this software because my computer crashed and windows would not open. This software does not require Windows to be running in order to recover your files. The computer tech at two stores wanted to reinstall Vista, meaning I would lose all my files. This software allowed me to recover the files I needed and it worked fine. I needed a little tech support to do it, but they actually answered the phone and even called me back. Great company, great software and great support. Worth the money; recovered over 3,000 music downloads that were about to be erased.

Richard

5.0 out of 5 stars Great software and perfect support!, July 17, 2011
This review is from: Data Rescue PC v3.0 (CD-ROM)
This is one of the best products, i ever used, when i had trouble or technical problems with hard drives.
But the support of prosoft is much better. The guys helped me with all questions i had. They are very friendly
and professional and the speed of the answers is amazing.

The software is running stable and the interface is very comfortable (both: PC and Mac Version).

As IT professional it is a powerful and useful tool for me.

My best commendation for this product an this vendor.

5.0 out of 5 stars An answer to a disaster.........., July 8, 2013
This review is from: Data Rescue PC v3.0 (CD-ROM)
At the end of our daughters graduation, I tried to change the settings but instead reformatted it....... Gone were those photos' and the other 450 + pictures that we thought were backed up but weren't. Come to the rescue, DATA RESCUE PC3..........After scouring the internet for the right software, I found it. It was simple to install and use. The basic recovery was all I needed to recover all of the graduation pictures and all but a few (less than 10) of the other photos'. There are other features I'm still learning how to use. But it did what I was looking for and got more results than I thought were possible........

4.0 out of 5 stars One great piece of Softrware, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Data Rescue PC v3.0 (CD-ROM)
When Windows chkdsk destroyed the MFT on my 1 TB external backup drive I went looking for data recover software that would really recover data. I read the reviews on the PC version of the software and was happly to find that I could download the demo version of the software to see if it could locate my 500 gb of missing data. I called customer support and spoke to Mike. He was very helpfull. The scan, booting from the CD version took 14 hrs, very annoying, but Mike showed me how to re-run the can inside Windows which only took 3 minuets to run. I did purchase the license and am happy to say I was able to recover all but a few corrupted files. I did recover over 99% of my lost files.

Well done Mike, well done Data rescue PC3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Data Rescue PC 3, July 30, 2012
This review is from: Data Rescue PC v3.0 (CD-ROM)
I deleted 400 pictures from my camera by mistake and was told about Data Rescue PC 3 from another photographer and have to say it is the best investment I have ever made for my photo business. I was able to recover most of the picture. GREAT Product Thanks to Michael for his great help with the recovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, July 20, 2012
Sarah Cress (Durham, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Data Rescue PC v3.0 (CD-ROM)
My external backup hard drive crashed without warning. The drive was hot to the touch and exhibited the "clicking noise of death." Even though the product description says it's for Windows XP, I installed it on a Windows 7 machine without problem. The interface was intuitive and easy to use. The software found the broken external drive, scanned it, and recovered all the files.

I'm so grateful to have recovered all the photos from this drive. Great product!

Data Rescue PC v3.0
Data Rescue PC v3.0 by ProSoft Engineering (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$149.00 $99.00