5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, not essential, but it does the job.
At the end of the winter season when most of us use a humidifier, we must face the daunting task of cleaning the humidifier before storing it (until next winter).

Published on February 12, 2010 by Alex C. Cullison

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Work for me...
Published 18 months ago by J. Stotts

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, not essential, but it does the job., February 12, 2010
This review is from: ProTec PC-1 Humidifier Tank Cleaning Cartridge (Pack of 2) (Health and Beauty)

If you have been conscientious about using a water anti-bacterial additive once a week, then the end of the season cleaning job will not be "too" bad. If not, well, this chore will be more demanding and time-consuming.

This is the first year I have used this product. It is a plastic cage that holds chemicals which promise to keep your humidifier clean. You simply put this thing in your humidifier water tank and the miracle happens. The manufacturer recommends replacing it every month or so. I bought two for our 4 month humidifier/winter season. That seems adequate.

This item looks like something we used to put in our dishwasher to keep the water from spotting... although I am sure the chemicals inside this thing are different.

Anyway, you want to know if it works and is it worth the price.

Yes it works. My humidifier IS cleaner than what it would be without it. Is it worth the price? That depends on the value you put on your time and how hard you are willing to work at the end of the humidifier season to the task of cleaning your humidifier before storing it. I think this "ProTec" product will make the job of cleaning your humidifier very fast and easy. Is that worth $10? That is up to you. What makes this a good investment is knowing your humidifier is being KEPT clean during the months you are using it.

Would I buy this "ProTec PC cleaning cartridge" next year? Yes, I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work great!, December 16, 2007
These work great. I find I don't have to change the filter or clean the humidifier as often as I do without using one of these. I feel they are worth it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Work for me..., February 6, 2013
I am an analytical chemist and had high hopes for this product; however it didn't work for me. We have extremely dry weather and run at least three humidifiers throughout the house 24/7, along with a pot of simmering water on the stove which barely keeps the humidity at 50% during the winter (necessary for allergy and asthma issues). I have tried everything to help deal with keeping the humidifiers clean - and have not found anything that makes the upkeep easier (other than frequent descaling and filter changes). That said, if I wasn't operating at such extreme use (with hard water and sheer volume) these might work for some applications, just not mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had known about these sooner, January 23, 2009
I went through a LOT of expensive filters before I found these little gems. I was doubtful at first if they would help, but after I put them in all three of my humidifiers, every single one now goes much longer without me having to replace the filter. Definitely worth the cost.

Works as advertised from my experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, November 29, 2010
My humidifier is a big 3 gallon piece runs 24/7 and is refilled twice a day. so far its more than three weeks, i havent even had to rinse the water tank and the inside surface is literally squeeky clean still from one cartridge. outdid all expectation. if your time is valuable this is the best value youll ever get for your money. manufaturer recommends rinsing daily and washing once a week. with this thing your can do nothing but refil the water continuously for weeks!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work ok., May 24, 2008
James Tee (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
We've been using these for the last two years in my dad's Vicks humidifier (that we connect to a mask that goes around his tracheostomy). Since he has an open tracheostomy, it's important to us that the moisture remains clean. So far so good - no sign of green mold in the humidifier in the years we use it. We do change the clearning cartirdige every 4-6 weeks and we protect the bulk of the humidifier from sunlight so that may be helping to prevent bacterial or fungal growth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Use to love Protec but now it does not work, May 1, 2012
I have used Protec cartridges for the past two years and I have ordered them from Amazon. The last three orders I have received have not worked. I e-mailed Kaz, the distributor, and they were of no help. They basically told me how to use the filter and did not address the quality issue. I am not sure what has changed but it does not work. I have moved on to the Holmes liquid product and it is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars ProTec PC Humidifier Tank Cleaning Cartridge, July 20, 2008
Love this invention. My asthma is better since started using it, i.e. no chemicals in water tanks to be fanned in the air and inhaled. Easy, great price, reuseable. Will buy again, and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for humidifiers!, June 13, 2008
I don't know how they work, exactly but they DO work! I've had them in the tank for 2 winters now and they definitely help the filters stay cleaner and last longer and there is no white bulid-up on the tank EVER!

They are well worth the money--I know they look funny but believe me, they work!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 15, 2013
Alice L Schewene (Westerville, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this product in high hopes it would eliminate my need to clean the humidifer so often before the pink slime and odor occurs. I find this product disappointing because just after 10 days this started with the horrible mildew odor and sure enough the pink slime had started on the bottom. Without this product, it was normally about 14 days before the odor/slime appeared.

ProTec PC-1 Humidifier Tank Cleaning Cartridge (Pack of 2)
$20.74 $9.39
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies