4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but....
Acne is complicated and varies from person to person.
While this product may not work for some, it worked for me.

Published on March 25, 2012 by Jodie

Published 19 months ago by Hannah Millon-Garvey

1.0 out of 5 stars A MUCH cheaper, almost idential product is out there at Target!, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Proactiv Solution 3 Step System Kit, 2 Month Supply (Health and Beauty)
I'm only giving Proactiv a negative review because it is grossly overpriced. I recently found that Target makes a "compare to Proactiv" product in their "Up and Up" product line. I was delighted to see this and even more delighted to see that the ingredients are just about identical, except for one tiny (most likely insignificant) ingredient that the Target brand has that Proactiv does not. It works identically to Proactiv (same results for me anyway) and the best part? It was ONLY $11.99 for a 4-oz bottle of the cleanser, 4 oz of the toner and 2 oz of the repair treatment! Same amount that is listed here for 4 times the cost! DON'T waste your money. GO TO TARGET and get the Up & Up product!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, but is kind of like flipping a coin between Clear Skin or Not, July 26, 2010
S. Coleman (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Though Proactiv Solution works pretty well for me, I have never seen a product vary so drastically from one user to another. I started getting terrible acne in the 9th grade, and it had a major effect on my confidence. People would stare at my zits--and not into my eyes--whenever we were having a conversation, and my 10th grade history teacher even held me back at the end of class specifically to recommend a skin care product that she had ordered from Avon. If that were not embarrassing enough, my acne reached a peak during my senior year of high school--the primetime of every young woman's life. Every inch of my cheeks was covered in bright red, pus-filled pimples. It was so terrible that some people looked disgusted to even stand near me, and I had to wear a TON of concealer for my senior photos--which only exacerbated the problem as soon as picture day was over. After my high school graduation, I started spending a lot of time out at the pool, and (despite what the experts say), the sun drastically improved my skin. My face turned really red one day when I forgot the sunblock, and the next day, all of the zits were gone. However, when the summer ended and I went to college in the fall, the zits came back. It was then that I decided that I need something stronger than an over-the-counter medicine to deal with my skin. After watching a commercial for Proactiv Solution, I ordered it over the phone on a whim. The first few weeks didn't give me any results, but after a about a month, the product worked to its full potential. I have been using it for almost two years now, and I am very happy with my decision to purchase it. Though it has not provided the magical results that are showcased in every commercial (I still get a couple of pimples every couple of weeks, my face is not the horrible red mask that it once was. Unlike some reviewers reported, the product does not dry my face out at all, and I haven't experienced any redness. The most redeeming product of the entire system is the toner. Though it does not smell very potent, it succeeded in removing from my hands and forearms a botched application of self-tanning lotion that almost a week of constant scrubbing did nothing to help. For me, this is very good stuff. Unfortunately, as I stated, this product varies so widely from customer to customer that it is hard to determine the effectiveness of its use. In my circle of friends, three girls (myself included) are using Proactiv. My skin reacted very nicely to the product, but the other two weren't as lucky. One of the girls had mild acne and experienced no change in her condition. Another girl had moderate acne and experienced such severe burning and redness of the skin that she discontinued usage and even voluntary went through the seven levels of Hell (also known as Proactiv Customer Service) to get a refund.

Overall, here are my basic recommendations for those considering using Proactiv:

1.) Since results vary so widely between each user, buy the smallest amount of the product that is available. That way, if it does not match your particular needs, you are not out an arm and a leg on something totally useless

2.) Beware of the freebies/extras. The basic three step Proactiv system and the Daily Oil Control lotion work wonders (compared to the "before" situation), but the other items in the Proactiv line were actually pretty damaging. As a "free gift", I received a tube of the Refining Mask. I applied it according to the directions, but approximately twenty minutes after I removed it, my face was covered in large red, itchy blotches. I immediately threw the tube in the garbage, and by the time I resumed using my regular system the next day, the spots were gone. So, if you get extras in the mail, proceed with caution.

3.) DO NOT, under any circumstances, tell the representative that you want a free month's supply VitaClear Vitamins with your purchase. First of all, the vitamins are disgusting. VitaClear comes in a box with thirty individually wrapped packets of 5 vitamins. After taking that first packet of five vitamins one morning, I had to make a run to the restroom to vomit. The next day, I had didn't throw up, but I did a second time after using the vitamins a few days later. Though I followed the direction to eat before usage, no matter how much or how little I ate, I would puke at least twice a week. If this is not enough, as soon as you agree to accept a free order, you (unknowingly) sign yourself up to receive auto-shipments of Vitaclear every two months--which means that your credit card will automatically be charged $29.99 every six or weeks. I have no idea how to cancel an account with VitaClear (which is sold by a different company than Proactiv). The only reason I stopped receiving shipments was because I changed addresses and my credit card just happened to expire that same month. So, if you like swallowing five vitamins each day that will make you puke, feel free to sign up for auto shipments of a product that is impossible to cancel.

4.) As I mentioned previously, Customer Service is Hell (according to the people I know who have tried to cancel). If you want to cancel your account, you have to locate the customer service number from the website or from your previous bill. Proactiv does not allow easy online cancellations or (to my knowledge) mail-in requests to cancel. Then, when you call a representative and mention that you want to cancel your account, you are mysteriously put on hold for an indefinite amount of time--though they jump at the chance to talk to you if you are willing to order Proactiv. If you are not put on hold, the reps will talk in circles and try to convince you to order more products. One of my friends who successfully canceled her account recommended setting up a web count on the Proactiv site, going to the help feature, and then emailing a representative with the question "How do I cancel my account?" A rep contacted her by email a few days later, asked for her account number, and subsequently canceled the account. I recommend following this procedure or continue to receive the automatic shipments each month.
Overall, this product worked for me, but it will not work for everyone. It is kind of like spinning the Wheel of Fortune or flipping a coin...only this time, instead of head and tails, the sides are "Clear Skin" and "Not".

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy This ... They Won't Let You Stop Buying It ... Ever, October 25, 2010
First, the product works modestly well, but is no miracle cure for acne, despite what their television ads claim. But that's not the biggest problem.

Be very wary of starting to do business with these people. Stopping is almost impossible. Here's why:

We ordered this for my son, and he used it for almost two years. The results were modest but positive. Then his dermatologist chose a more active and different course of treatment, and told him to stop using Proactive.

Naturally, we called to cancel the automatic shipments. They didn't stop. We called again. They didn't stop. We called again. They didn't stop. We tried to return the product and were told we were passed the "30 day return policy" and the product couldn't be returned (even though it has an almost infinite shelf life).

We stopped being charged only because the credit card expiration date passed. But the shipments continued for another month. Then the threats started.

Proactive (Guthy Renker, the company that sells everything imaginable via infomercials) started sending us collection letters. Since we had called them three times to cancel, and since we had paid for all but the final shipment, I ignored them. The letters stopped.

Then we started getting incredibly aggressive letters and automated, mystery telephone calls at all hours from their collection agency, SKO Brenner American (800 669-5208)insisting that we owed for the final shipment. I explained the situation and they didn't care to listen. Finally, in complete frustration, I paid for the final shipment just to make the calls stop.

This is not a customer-oriented company. Guthy-Renker isn't trustworthy in the least. Interestingly, on their website, they have "ten commandments for management." Not one of those says anything about dealing with customers honestly or fairly. They do talk about dominating their marketplace and trade associations, and they talk about building their brand and their upside at all times. But no where do they mention providing real value for their customers in an honorable fashion. From my experience they are living by their own ten commandments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but...., March 25, 2012
Acne is complicated and varies from person to person.
While this product may not work for some, it worked for me.

I've had acne since I was 16 (I am now 22) and I tried Proactiv when I was 19 on and off. Sometimes, it would work, sometimes my acne is very stubborn and Proactiv wasn't very effective. BUT it worked the majority of the time, so it is worth buying and trying.

The only con is that it makes my skin a little sensitive and doesn't keep acne off.

Recently, I am into more natural products such as Pura d'or Organic Acne Treatment Solution (2 fl. oz.) and I found it to be just as effective without the added sensitivity...and because it is all organic and natural, I can use it everyday safely to keep the acne from coming back. Again it may not work for everyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Customer Service, October 28, 2010
Ali Loewenstein (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
I am 28 and had a few blemishes, so I decided to try proactiv. Now my skin is a mess! It seemed like it would work, so I stuck with it for a month, and then I got another box in the mail of more product. Be wary, it is not obvious that once you buy the initial kit you will automatically be signed up to receive proactive and be charged continuously. Perhaps proactiv works for some, but since it was having reverse effects for me I called to return the additional box of product that they sent me. Though I still had 2 weeks left to return proactiv for a refund, the customer service representative said that they take 4-6 weeks to process returns, and so it would not be enough time to get my return order refund! Not only do I now have to pay for shipping and handling which is estimated to be around $10 but additionally for a certificate of delivery so I can prove I sent the product in on time. How frustrating. My last rant is that once the customer service woman heard I wanted to return the product, she tried to get off the phone very fast, and I had to keep asking her not to hang up, since she was VERY short and not forward about how to go about handling the return (ie. address, filling out the return slip etc). I would normally not write any review even if the product didn't work for me, but the customer service i received put me over the edge.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Product on Earth and Venus., August 1, 2011
Absolutely horrible. I tried the product and used it faithfully for 6 months hoping something would work. Instead of making my acne better, it made it considerably worse. I've been suffering from acne since i was 12, i'm 28 now and i believed the sales pitch seen in the infomercials. what a fool i was. to make it worse, i ordered from proactiv themselves.

when i cancelled their service, it was june of 09. in august i was sent a new shipment and promptly sent it back unopened. since then (and it's august 11) i have been harassed by foriegn collector agencies who will call me day and night just for a sum of $44. i even had my bank block any transactions they tried to pull because they tried to bill me months after i spoke to customer care.

don't buy this product, use acne free severe

1.0 out of 5 stars they are thieves, October 20, 2010
they made my subscription continuous, made me go overdraft, my bank charged me $35, they made me pay $115, total of $150. tooooootal rip-off+thieves. i do not recommend, even if they work for some of you...i think honesty is more important than anything else..

1.0 out of 5 stars beware!, September 10, 2009
G (CT and FL) - See all my reviews
POroActiv will NOT refund your money and puts you on auto-shipments once you order ANYTHING from them. My second auto shipment was 2 boxes of stuff for over $100! I sent it back in July and was promised a refund...NOTHING! Don't give them your credit card # or else use a preloaded credit card # so they can't keep charging you. Their customer service reps will just lie and say you are getting your money back but you never will!! Too bad they don't let you just buy the product ONCE to TRY IT but you NOOoooo you can't--no matter what, if you buy a kit you are enrolled AUTOMATICALLY in their "skin care club" which translated means: we will send you boxes of stuff you didn't order and charge your credit card forever!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Scam warning!, March 11, 2009
I purchased this from Proactiv's site, and let me warn you-they will try to scam you!
I received my product, and was disappointed first of all by the tiny bottles. Second, the product didn't work for me at all, and my skin is not too awful to begin with. And last-here's the kicker, when I chose my "free gift" of vitamins, they neglected to tell me they were signing me up for auto shipments of vitamins from a totally separate company! I received a supply of vitamins that I didn't order, and didn't know I was being charged for! I had to send them back, and call several times asking for my refund. And they only gave me a partial refund at that!
I had to call back two more times because they said they canceled my order but they didn't.
My warning to you-be cautious if you order this from their site!!

1.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't impressed, February 5, 2009
I had pretty bad acne in high school, so I was really excited to try the new Proactive skin solution with only 5% of people not getting results. Well, I guess I made it to that 5%. I found it did not help me AT ALL. My skin didn't clear up, and I made sure to follow the directions exactly. In fact, my dermatologist doesn't recommend it at all. I became much better off using prescripton-strength creams that my doctor recommended.

Oh, and when I called Proactive to request a refund, they gave me a good 15-minute speech (including putting me on the phone with her supervisor for further influencing) on why to keep with it. A complete pain and a bit awkward to turn them down after all that. That is probably why they're disapproval rate is only 5% - they harass you in order to deter you from the refund!

Proactiv Solution 3 Step System Kit, 2 Month Supply