Probably worth waiting to make sure it's bug-free

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2011 1:25:18 PM PDT
Steve R says:
This would have been a day one purchase for me, but after the experience I had with New Vegas, I'd just assume wait maybe even a few months to make sure there's no game breaking bugs.

And yes, I understand these aren't the same developers, but at the time Bethesda appeared more concerned with DLC releases rather than applying some significant patches to their game.

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 3:18:35 PM PDT
L. Doll says:
I think you'll be wasting valuable moments of your life by not purchasing on day 1. Even the seconds spent pondering the idea of hesitating on this to-be masterpiece is a critical error and the repercussions will be severe when you approach the gate and seek atonement from whichever God you pray to. I'll save you some time - as this game will have bugs - you will surely enjoy it anyways. Let me know when you've come to grips with the thought that your pre-order or first-day purchase is more than necessary.

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 8:14:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2011 10:57:50 AM PDT
Any massively-open-world game like Skyrim, Fallout, etc., is going to have orders of magnitude more bugs than any enclosed shooter or sports game -- the more activities and content they add in brings a greater and greater likelihood of more bugs. That's simply the way it is.

Glitch-hunting is far easier in corridor games than in open-world ones, where a near-infinite number of personal gameplay styles create an exponentially tiny chance of ever identifying every single last potential bug-spawn source. The bigger the game, the greater the glitch-complexity gets.

For that matter, there hasn't been an Elder Scrolls game created yet that wasn't massively buggy by these standards -- Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind all boast some major glitches, but again, nobody really cares in the end, due to the other successful gameplay and design factors.

It's a matter of relativity...your own New Vegas game might have sported several bugs, but for each one that manifests itself, you're still forgetting about the dozens and even hundreds that the dev-team actually caught and eliminated. For a closed-world shooter, the QA process is relatively simple and straightforward.

For an enormous Bethesda RPG, however, it isn't -- they have a huge task set in front of them, compared to pretty much all other developers out there, and at the end of the day, some glitches are still liable to slip past as not.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2011 12:29:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2011 12:32:40 AM PDT
Vylsith says:
LOL New Vegas didn't have any more or less bugs than Fallout 3, Oblivion, or Morrowind. They were all buggy. Bethesda games have always been buggy. This game might break the mold, but it probably won't. That being said New Vegas is an amazing game. Even with all the annoying freeze ups, it's still an awesome game. I never for once felt that I would stop playing New Vegas because of the bugs. I'm hoping that Skyrim is better than Oblivion, but if it's just as good as Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I'll be a happy camper. Either way, I'm buying this game day one.

Most of the issues with New Vegas were RAM issues with the consoles. Granted the PC versions still have bugs, but rarely do you encounter the type that freeze up your computer like you will with the PS3 and 360. Bethesda wants console players to have the same experience as they do on the PC, so they don't do as much maintenance on trash items and corpses lying around the world that they should. Hopefully they don't make this mistake in Skyrim. While it's cool to find a corpse of a mob I killed at the same location 3 days later, it's really not worth having to restart my console.

Also, one tip. When you're playing a Bethesda game on a console, don't make more than one saved file. I know you'll want to and sometimes you'll regret not doing it, but you'll have about 1/5 of the freeze up issues by deleting the rest of the saved games. I have no idea why it matters, but it does. Run with one saved game and you'll quickly see how much smoother the game becomes.

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 7:20:38 PM PDT
am i the only person that loved new vegas and only had one real glitch based problem? other than ed-e disappearing in a particular cave, everything worked fine. the only time it got glitchy i cleared the cache of the xbox i was playing on and it was fine. idk, maybe the playstation version was glitchier

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 10:29:01 AM PDT
Steve R says:
On the PS3 it may have been worse I think, aside from the random lockups and missing companions, the final battle was stuttering and constantly locking up. I couldn't go more than 30 mins without a full system freeze that required a reboot. Had I not invested so much time getting to that point, I probably would have taken the game back. Never had a game before (or since) that caused so much havoc, and I've played a lot of games! Fallout 3 was glitchy but not nearly as bad as New Vegas.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 8:28:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2011 8:37:01 AM PDT
Andrew C. says:
I plan to wait for the game-of-the-year edition, which will hopefully bundle expansion(s) and DLC. I'm more patient than I used to be, so I see no need to rush out to spend $60 on Day 1 when I can wait for a GotY edition with much more content for the same or lower price. By then, most of the bugs should be addressed as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 8:09:21 AM PDT
BirukT says:
Guess I have been quite fortunate to never have had a game with game ending glitches. Sure the small glitch here and there, the fun ones, but nothing like freezing or anything drastic.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 12:39:54 PM PDT
S. Roux says:
you mention: While it's cool to find a corpse of a mob I killed at the same location 3 days later, it's really not worth having to restart my console.
I think this is why they are making the NPC's pick up items you drop on the ground. By having them pick up items, the items will not have to be saved anywhere. (unless they are saved with that NPC, which I doubt would happen)

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 2:58:31 PM PDT
Grimes says:
It has a newly designed engine so that might help. Either way, it WILL have bugs. Any game of this size and scope does.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 9:42:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2011 9:42:41 PM PDT
Max Renn says:
I had terrible experiences with New Vegas (PS3). But how the hell can anyone wait several more months? I'm there for midnight release; who cares if I'm tired at work on 11-11-11.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 7:52:27 AM PDT
No way am I waiting...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 2:03:55 PM PDT
C. Jackson says:
"I understand these aren't the same developers, but at the time Bethesda appeared more concerned with DLC releases rather than applying some significant patches to their game."

That sounds ridiculous. If you think an TES game as they are today, made by ANY developer, is going to be bug free at any point? You're deluding yourself; it won't happen. The games are far too open and expansive to be bug less, even narrow dungeon crawlers like Demon Soul's have bugs. Games are complex these days, the developers do the best they can, and they will continue support their game for awhile as bugs are continually reported to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 2:11:40 PM PDT
C. Jackson says:
Dead bodies or equiptment that doesn't disappear was definitely a problem for Morrowind. The result (which potentially causes the freeze) is the more stuff around the world that is saved in a dynamic position, the larger the save file. They can get enormous and it really caused loading problems deep into a Morrowind game if you played on the Xbox.

In Morrowind they used a feature where the player could select to remove an item from the world manually. In Oblivion they incorporated an automated system that was more or less broken (this has been addressed if you have it on PC because someone created a mod to improve it), and I honestly feel like the system was a smart idea, but they should have left the option to be able to do it manually as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 2:16:27 PM PDT
C. Jackson says:
" think this is why they are making the NPC's pick up items you drop on the ground."

Good point, I didn't think about that. Instead of stuff magically disappearing they can address it by saying civilians are cleaning up the streets. It would be cool if some "theiving" civilians could steal from you as well. For instance, if you're Skooma drunk to the point of passing out.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 12:57:48 PM PDT
Steve R says:
C Jackson I understand that , but I was talking about 'game breaking' bugs. That was my problem with New Vegas and that's why I won't buy this game on day one. Let everyone else beta test it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 5:12:17 AM PDT
Pavl says:
Really? After Mass Effect 2 corrupted my save file of the almost done game I've been running most rpgs with a few saves just incase.

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 2:37:55 PM PDT
GreyDay says:
There probably won't be any game breaking bugs so why wait? For the small bugs ignore them until Bethesda or some helpful modder fixes it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Sep 22, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 4, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Greatest Hits) - Playstation 3
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Greatest Hits) - Playstation 3 by Bethesda (PlayStation 3)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (1,154)