5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning for all levels in immunology - from novice to advanced!, October 9, 2008
This review is from: Problem-Based Immunology, 1e (Paperback)
As an allergy/immunology fellow trying to digest all the information in Abbas and Janeway as it pertains to my patients clinically, I needed a source that helped my brain put it all together. I first noticed this book in my university bookstore and, my burgeoning collection of books be damned, decided to give it a look. I very quickly realized this would be an instrumental book in my learning about clinical issues in immunology, particularly the immunodeficiencies. From the big hitters like SCID to the minutia of innate immunity like TLR4 deficiency - it's all there - and presented in a concise, interesting case-based approach, with beautiful multi-color photographs and diagrams. After looking the book over, other fellows in my program have also purchased this book. I use this book regularly when I want to better understand and synthesize the material I am reading in my Abbas textbook.

My complaints with this book are minor. For one, as the previous reviewer said, it's a first-and-only 2006 edition so far. (Not a problem just yet, though.) Second, each case presentation is followed up with "Group Discussion" questions, which are supposed to stimulate thoughts about the case. The problem is, these questions many times give away the etiology of the case, which ruins the suspense! Finally, the pages themselves are slightly thin, so heavy highlighting (guilty as charged) will tend to bleed through the pages a little, but not much. Again, these are all very minor complaints.

Other than that, I highly, highly recommend this book. If you are a med student, resident, fellow, or even attending seeking a great case-based approach to better learning/solidifying your clinical knowledge of immunology, this is your book. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for Clinical Immunology.., August 10, 2008
This review is from: Problem-Based Immunology, 1e (Paperback)
This book is a wonderful tool for Medical Immunology. My second year course at medical school runs only two weeks and there are so many informations and so many concepts to digest. At the beginning I was very skeptical about buying the book because its a very new book( first and only edition, from 2006) and there is no written review as I am the first person to writte this review on Amazon. It first start by discussing every necessary information to understand each concept then it move over to talk about clinical cases related to each concept. It also go to the very bottom of each condition and speculate concisely on the informations necessary we need to understand. For exemple ADA deficiency is a subtype of the wide range of SCIDs and in our notes there are no much infos about ADA and you really need to go back to the biochem notes to clearly understand the mechanism of ADA which will be very hard to do w/in two weeks. And the authors clearly break down the facts about ADA by stating on page 10 w/in a very short paragraph that "..ADA is required for purines metabolism and which is more active in lymphocytes, particularly T lymphocytes. In the absence of this enzyme, toxic metabolites accumulate and inhibit DNA synthesis so proliferation does not occur in response to polyclonal activators". They first save me a trip to last year biochem notes which are accross my table on the living room then, they break down why exactly ADA deficiency inhibit polyclonal activation. Great book I would recommend to any medical student for the Immuno class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best problem based book for immunology, February 6, 2010
This review is from: Problem-Based Immunology, 1e (Paperback)
It basically explains the relavent subject before actually talking about the problem. And the answers to the problems are explained well. Every immunologist should have this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, especially for the boards., December 24, 2013
In my medical school our immunology professor is awful and we had to basically teach to course to ourselves. This book saved me. The clinical scenarios really help you understand each pathology and the multiple choice questions are great for boards or an immunology course.
This book skips the basics of immunology and focuses on disorders and the pathology.
Again, this book saved my ass!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Very well organized, January 11, 2009
This review is from: Problem-Based Immunology, 1e (Paperback)
The book is organized into sections such as autoimmunity and immunization and within those sections there are clinical cases. Each clinical case is dealt with in detail. Clinical cases make the book more medically oriented and help retain the information. There are multiple choice problems at the end of the book for each section.

Problem-Based Immunology, 1e
Problem-Based Immunology, 1e by Reginald M. Gorczynski (Paperback - February 17, 2006)
Used & New from: $60.13