Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Problem with sound on Sharp Aquos LC42D62U

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2007 8:10:47 AM PDT
James Towner says:
One issue I have been having is with the sound. The normal sound on the TV is pretty good, but I have not found a way to switch between Mono & Stereo sound. The TV seems to be default set at Mono, and while watching some cable shows, I see in the corner where it says what channel you are on, that it is switching between stereo and mono repeatedly which is very annoying and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it. I tried all the settings and nothing worked so I dunno what the deal is. Anyway, if anyone knows a solution to this please let me know!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2007 11:01:38 AM PDT
Tim Jackson says:
I'm having the same problem. Have you found any solutions?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2007 9:56:11 PM PDT
James Towner says:
Michael, the only way I found around it was to switch to using the RCA 3 pronged (red, yellow and white ends) cables. They are like dirt cheap too. I just plugged it directly into the TV and am using one of the inputs for it now. It has eliminated the problem for me. If you have a digital cable box and can use this type of connection, you definitely should look into it. The switching between sounds was driving me crazy before!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2007 4:37:55 AM PST
Mario Kuan says:
I am having exactly the same problem, I called Sharp and they told me that there is nothing wrong with the TV, that it must be a "kinked in the coax", or interference and that they could not do anything about it. I am calling my cable company to have the signal checked. I'll update after the Cable company checks the signal.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2008 11:28:12 PM PDT
celeborn says:
Hi Mario, did you ever figure out the problem?
Was the signal strength the problem?
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2008 3:14:35 PM PDT
Mario Kuan says:
No, the signal strength was not the problem. A Comcast Technician came over the house and checked the signal strenth an it was very good. I called Sharp for a Service Call and they never called me back. So I still have the problem. I hope Sharp would fix the problem as I am sure there are others with same problem. I am sure it can be fix with a software patch/update. Are you having the problem? Let me know.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 12:30:45 PM PDT
Michael says:
I have this problem as well. I don't think it has anything to do with your cable because it occurs when I am watching a DVD.

Posted on May 2, 2009 9:05:22 PM PDT
Hi there,
Has anyone else noticed that the sound quality when watching DVD's is very "Tinny" with a slight echo? The sound seems to be fine when watching normal TV. This sound issue is consistent with all DVD's I have watched so far. I have tried playing with some of the audio options but with no success. Do you I need any special cables to improve the quality or need to modify any of the TV sound options?

Posted on May 16, 2009 6:28:51 PM PDT
Michael says:
havent noticed this with my TV but my mother just bought a 40 inch samsung and it has the "tin can" sound effect. It might have something to do with the size of the room.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2009 11:10:41 PM PDT
Mark J. Koch says:
Yes. I have the same problem on my 4-year old Aquos. I think what is happenning is that the TV is trying to decode the DTS or surround sound improperly. My theory is that they are sending the left and right signals to the left and right outputs but are dropping the center channel. This has the effect of muddy dialog when people are talking but really bright and tinny sound in action scenes (because you have to turn the volume up so far just to hear dialog). My solution is going to be to get a audio receiver with 5.1 speakers when I have the money. I will run the TOSlink out of the TV and into the receiver.

Posted on Feb 20, 2010 6:58:17 AM PST
Michael says:
I don't know if that's the problem. For me it seems to only occur when certain sounds appear. One example is rattling chains or clinking sounds. One good example i can give is Lethal Weapon 4. Right at the beginning when they are in the rain hiding from the guy with the flamethrower the thing switches from mono to stereo repeatedly. As for the connections i have causing it. i'm now using Direct TV with an HD Box and it uses an HDMI chord. It still happens occasionally.

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 7:31:45 AM PST
I have a 46 Sharp Aquos I purchsed 12/2006. Last night 02.27.11 the sound started skipping. Iv'e checked online and this seems to be a known problem with Sharp audio cards. Does anyone know of a way to repair this that costs less than buying a new TV? Has anyone esle replaced the card? How much was it? Could I do it myself if I find an audio card? I've cleaned all HDMI cables, turned the TC and the Cox cable box on and off, tried to reset to factory settings ( as one blog suggested), Linda @ lindajofaol.com

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:23:30 AM PST
I'm having the same problem! The sound is fine when watching regular TV, HD, even premium pay-per-view. But when watching a DVD, hearing the dialog is a strain at best, even with having the sound maxxed out at 60. The weirdest thing is the DVD previews at the beginning have great sound, but when the movie starts, that's when the problem starts. Any ideas out there? Do I have to buy surround sound or extra speakers?

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 4:36:24 PM PDT
cac says:
Hello. I purchased a Sharp Aquos about a year ago and the sound is very tin can like. If the volume on the remote control is over 17, it sounds very tinny and almost like there is a vibration. Someone advised me to turn the sound down on either the remote control or the TV unit itself. It has helped a little but on some channels it is really bad to the point that I can't be bothered watching it. I do not have any external speakers attached to the TV, just the internal speakers are used for the audio. Does anyone know how to fix this problem and improve the sound?

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 8:45:45 PM PDT
I bought a Sony blue-ray player, which added an HDMI cable. The sound improved noticeably.

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 2:02:05 PM PDT
have good sound on all inputs and the digital ant. stations the non digital no sound thinging it is in the set up not sure

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 3:50:22 PM PDT
This happened again just recently..So...I completely shut down the Cox cable box and TV set for an hour....plugged everything back in and it worked just fine. So I think my problem was with the cable company!

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 3:07:05 PM PST
Tom says:
"Murali" makes a BIG mistake in this review/post. He says, under "technically" that LCDs don't have off-axis issues and the plasmas do. This is WRONG, and is the exact opposite of the actual situation. If you have a wide space and will be sitting off axis, plasmas are the better choice, as they are if you like action(much faster refresh rate) and picture quality(better black levels), or panel size(plasma is sigificantly cheaper than LCD for the same panel size). LCDs can be brighter, but all flat panels should be calibrated for color temp, color tracking, contrast, brightness,etc. as they are all set too hot(toward the blue end), with contrast and brightness way too high out of the box- this makes them look bright and colorful under the bright fluorescent lights in the showroom.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2013 5:53:31 AM PDT
karzan says:
Hi Linda

I have the same problem.. any solutions.

Posted on May 6, 2015 5:34:04 PM PDT
Alan Klafeta says:
sharp lc-80uq17u 80-inch aquos q+ 1080p 240hz 3d smart led tv

i purchased this tv from amazon.com and everything works fine except one constant annoying problem. at various times the sound suddendly garbles and does not stop. the manual says this is normal due to temp change. there is nothing normal about this at all. no other tv has this problem and there is no temp change in the room ever. i read others who had this same problem without a solution. the only solution i came up with is temporary and must be performed several times every day. i change the chanel and then back. the sound problem immediately is resolved until another time and another day. i should have just returned this poorly engineered product. i did purchase a warranty and will call soon as this has gone on way to long. i have a new receiver and other components to connect, but don't want to go through the effort until the tv, itself is working the way every tv on the market does. does anyone have the same problem or a solution?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2015 9:23:54 AM PDT
Did you ever find a solution for this - I have the same EXACT problem - and am constantly changing up a channel and back to remedy - it's driving me crazy - thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2015 8:22:47 AM PDT
Same problem. Sharp had no answer.

Posted on Dec 17, 2015 10:31:52 PM PST
Mr Toad says:
I bought a Sharp LC40LE653U last April and have had no sound issues till tonight. I watched a movie with Amazon Prime, started a second movie and there was no sound at all. I tried other movies as well as the one I just watched- no sound. I tried my DVD player and again no sound. I am not attached to cable, I don't use any external speaker setup. Just the TV, a DVD player, and the Amazon Prime box. It seems the problem is the TV as that is the unifying element. I am hoping the customer service will be helpful and expedient when I call in the morning. I am very disappointed in this Sharp purchase- It is not even a year old. I'd prefer not to have to buy a new TV. I'll update this with my experience with the Sharp customer service. Hoping for the best. The more I read on the internet, it seems the TV has sound issues with some frequency.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2015

Search Customer Discussions