Problems with Internet Explorer 8 This computer came with Explorer 7, so I decided to upgrade to 8. After downloading, I was warned that an add-on on the pre-loading Skype could cause IE8 to crash, and I was instructed to update my Skype. After I updated Skype, I decided I didn't want, and uninstalled it. Now my computer lags, or freezes up over the simplest tasks like opening up a gallery.

Does this problem have anything to do with IE8? If so, should I restore my computer to factory settings? Or just uninstall IE8 and download IE7? If I should download IE7 which version am I suppose to download: Windows XP SP2, or Windows XP Pro X64 Edition?
asked by Stephanie Rose on July 19, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 answers
A
vote
My netbook is working perfectly for me now, but I reloaded Windows 4 times befor I was able to figure out that Explorer version 8 was screwing up the netbook (in subtle ways), The netbook was randomly slowing down for certain operations (e.g. right clicking on a folder or file) and on surfing the web. Without Explorer 8, everything works great.
The Fred answered on July 19, 2009

A
votes
The Skype addon for IE8 and Firefox causes major memory leaks and sluggishness. I experienced the issue on both my high end workstation and Asus 1005HA-P. I'd highly advise that not install it during setup or simply uninstall it.

Random complaints:
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=374641
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?s=afb0f41439ae642bf0ed6e8e39af4d87&showtopic=351121

Now go to start > control panel > internet options > advanced tab > reset at the bottom
J. Welch answered on July 19, 2009

A
vote
I just uninstalled IE8, and it was automatically replaced by IE7. Everything is working great again =)
Stephanie Rose answered on July 19, 2009

A
votes
I don't know for sure what might be causing the problem. If I understand correctly, you uninstalled Skype and kept IE8. It sounds like Skype didn't uninstall very well. You might need to re-install IE8. If you want IE7, use the SP2 version. Only download the x64 version if you're using the 64-bit version of the operating system.

Worst case - restore to factory settings - after backing up your files.
Slade Simon answered on July 19, 2009

A
votes
I will re-install IE8 and see what happens.

Can restoring to factory settings harm your hardrive, or anything else, in any way?

A
votes
<<Can restoring to factory settings harm your hardrive, or anything else, in any way? >>

No.

A
votes
> The Fred says:
> My netbook is working perfectly for me now, but I reloaded Windows 4 times befor I
> was able to figure out that Explorer version 8 was screwing up the netbook (in
> subtle ways),

What brand/model Netbook do you have, and are you running XP?

Thanks!
Les
L. F. Hunter answered on July 19, 2009

A
votes
K, I will re-install IE7

A
votes
I have the IE8 installed with no problem but I have to have Skype updated
Movieviewer answered on July 19, 2009

A
votes
Keep in mind that IE8 addresses a lot of vulnerabilities in IE7, so from a security standpoint you should be using the newer browser. I find IE8 to be faster rendering webpages than IE7 on the 1005HA. Better yet install Firefox 3.5.1 and the noscript plugin for even greater protection.
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›