Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 16, 2010 9:59:44 PM PDT
V. Pfeffer says:
Recently, my husband and I purchased a Canon PIXMA MX870. It took awhile, but we got it installed and working well with my husband's Mac. However, my PC was a different story. I have a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop with XPsp3. I couldn't print from my laptop. It messed up several programs and caused my computer to freeze. The Canon tech person first said that no one else had complained about these problems. He did say that sometimes other printer drivers can interfere with new printer drives. So, I uninstalled the HP drivers from a previous printer that had worked fine for about five years. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Canon software. Everytime, I got the same response. I ran a full system scan with Kaspersky. No matter what I did, my computer was screwed up by the printer. As soon as I would remove the software, my computer behaved normally. My husband loved this printer. If anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this problem, I would be most appreciative. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2010 7:27:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2010 11:40:04 AM PDT
read4fun says:
I'm having a similar problem -- just bought one, brought it home and it seems to work okay but my PC laptop running Vista Home Premium won't recognize it. I've reinstalled the software. Thanks for mentioning removing prior printer software. I'll give that a try. Would like to know if anyone has had this problem and if they've found any way to get the PC to recognize the printer.

Update: I uninstalled my prior HP software, uninstalled the new Canon software, reinstalled the new stuff several times, even downloaded drivers from Canon's web site and tried them, and still my Toshiba laptop will not recognize the printer, and apparently the drivers are not installing properly. I also turned off my anti-virus software. I'll keep trying, but it doesn't look like this printer is compatible with all operating systems -- ??? If anyone knows how to get it to run on Vista, I'd love to hear about it!

2ND UPDATE: OKAY, I GOT IT TO WORK! I had to go into the Control Panel on the laptop and then to Hardware & Sounds and then Printers and install a new printer myself. I chose "Install a Local Printer" since it wasn't installing itself, and let the wizard pick the port. I just had to browse to the location on the Canon install disk where the folder was containing the drivers -- it's easy enough to find, going through folders and subfolders until the only thing inside was a collection of drivers and no more folders. Anyway, it worked, and the computer began to recognize the printer, and Canon's own software began to recognize it. Once it was working, I ran the install wizards for the downloaded driver updates from Canon's web site and installed those drivers on top of the drivers on the disk. It only took me 6+ hours since I took it out of the box, between last night and this morning, but finally my printer is working and I have tried it out in all its modalities and everything's fine. What a lot of hassle just to get something up and running that should have taken 5 minutes! I'm not sure but I think this is a Vista problem, or maybe it's Canon's own software not interfacing properly with Vista. At least the printer is now working. Good luck to anyone else facing this b******* with a new printer!

Posted on Jul 24, 2010 3:22:51 PM PDT
I am looking at buying this printer, but none of the reviews mention how well it scans printed text or scans it into the computer for e-mailing. If anyone has experience with let me know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 9:30:15 AM PDT
Ziyan Xiong says:
I got it yesterday. I have to say it heavy and bigger than i though. Scans works well. The only problems for this printer is the speed. It is a little bit slow. Beside this, everything else is fine. Quaility is good, wireless is great.

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 4:28:51 PM PDT
Sean Smith says:
The fax prints out in reverse page order. I received a 36 page fax with page 1 on the bottom, page 36 on top. Couldn't find a setting to reverse that out. Called customer service, said they couldn't find a setting to change that either. I'm annoyed. Has anybody found a way to make it print faxes so that they are in the correct order when you pick them up off the machine? Old fax printed out "correctly." Changing "print last page first" setting seems to only apply to printing, not faxing. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 6:04:32 PM PDT
just me says:
I am having big problems with the printer not recognizing 3rd party print cartridges...I have to keep opening up the printer and reinstalling the cartridges to get it to work.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 2:35:21 PM PDT
N. Poonian says:
Does this printer scan to .pdf?

Posted on Oct 3, 2010 11:28:20 AM PDT
RoadiJeff says:
Someone mentioned a problem they were having getting their MX870 to work with Vista 64 Home Premium. I just received my MX870 the other day and had no trouble getting my wife's HP notebook with that same OS to recognize and install the printer. We have it communicating wirelessly, so I don't know if that makes a difference. After I got the MX870 talking to the router I went into the "Printers and Faxes" setup in her notebook and chose the "Add a Printer" option. It quickly found the new printer on the LAN and installed it.

My only problem was initially getting the MX870 and my router talking to each other. I have just about every security and firewall protection option I know of turned on and I guess I was making things harder on myself. I eventually discovered that the wireless LAN has a different MAC address than the wired LAN on the MX870 and I had added the wrong one to my "allowed" list in my advanced wireless router setup. Everything is now humming along smoothly and my wife loves her new ability to use the printer from anywhere in the house (or the back yard, for that matter).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2010 3:32:14 PM PDT
JohnF says:
Canon PIXMA MX870 Wireless Office All-in-One Printer (4206B002)
Using only the button on MX870 front panel, I found it was quite easy to set up the printer and connect it to my wireless network. Actually, the machine recognized that my wireless SSID works on two different channels - a wireless router near one end of the house, and an access point in the center of the house. It asked if I wanted it to choose automatically. Yes. The connection was fast and easy.

After setting up the MX870, I went to add it to my Dell WinXP E6500 laptop, which already had an MX860 (at the office) installed. I guessed both would use the same drivers, so I added a new printer using the MX860 drivers and the MX870 MAC address. It wouldn't work. I wondered if I could easily undo the mistake; previous experience with HP printers told me that uninstalls could be one's worst nightmare. Fortunately, there were no bad effects from adding the MX870 drivers. Both MX860 and MX870 coexist on the same laptop.

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 5:35:41 PM PDT
SOOO big and heavy. Really not at all what I was hoping for...haven't got it running yet....still not sure I want to keep this huge thing!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2010 9:03:37 PM PDT
Muddy says:
I have this same problem with an HP PSC printer. I bought cartridges from Cartridge World. Every time I print, I get an error on the first page. Once I open the door to the cartridges and close it again, it works fine for any document that is already in the print queue. But next time I try to print, same problem. I don't think it is a printer problem per se. It is a problem with these third party and refilled cartridges.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 3:01:32 PM PST
Trendsetta says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 10:05:28 PM PST
I had problems installing the MP Print drivers, it would get to a point and give me a file error. I took "read4fun" advice and just manually installed the printer in Windows (I have Windows 7), and it worked. So if the install software crashes on you while it is installing the MP print driver try to manually install the printer in Windows. I have installed the software on three different computers all running Windows 7 and it only acted up on one computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 2:29:41 PM PST
suzyf921 says:
hi
Not sure if you solved the OCR problem yet but there is a revewi on the Amazon site now (by R Peter Valentine, currently the first one listed, very detailed) in which he describes using the OCR software and also how to use OneNote for this (which I didn't know about either). Good luck! SuzyF

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2010 11:38:31 AM PST
The size and weight of the printer is available before purchase so why not measure beforehand?

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 2:08:11 PM PST
So Happy says:
I bought it today, and am returning it tomorrow. I can't get the print drivers to install - not from the disk, not from Canon's website, not from Windows. I keep getting a generic error about "an error was encountered" and it exits out of the program. I've wasted an entire afternoon screwing around with this piece of junk.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 2:41:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2010 2:45:40 PM PST
In order for it to t do what you want, it would have to receive and store the entire fax and paginate the entire thing internally before printing the pages in reverse order. I don't know how much memory or processor horsepower the printer has, but depending on the complexity of the fax images, and how many pages there are, this could get very large and take a great deal of time. I can't see an economical, home use, printer doing that.

If advanced fax features are that important to you, you might want to consider a stand-alone fax machine.

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 7:33:27 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 30, 2010 7:43:29 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 7:40:33 PM PST
BeamMeUp says:
If I buy 2 of these printers and install them on the same network will the wireless communications get confused or will they each be identifiable (i.e., printer 1 & printer 2)?
My situation is I'd like all users to be able to choose the printer to send their print jobs to, based on which printer is not being used at the time. Don't suggest swapping two printers for one with more speed, etc., I need redundancy in case one printer goes "down".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 9:56:02 AM PST
S. Gibson says:
did you ever figure a solution for this? I'm having the same problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2011 12:39:50 PM PST
Solano says:
Yes

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 2:08:08 PM PST
doonboggle says:
Have one of these on order, but wondering if anyone has established a 2-computer hookup ... with one being wireless ... and other usb connection. If so, any problems to advise of?
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2011 6:16:12 PM PST
RoadiJeff says:
I have my MX870 connected exactly that way. My desktop PC connects to it via USB and a notebook PC elsewhere in the house connects wirelessly. The only problem I had was getting the wireless part configured but I blame that more on myself. I have every security option I know of enabled on my wireless router and I was probably making things harder by having to go around those before the wireless notebook and the printer would 'talk' to each other. Everything runs smoothly now. My wife loves it that she can print something out while sitting on the deck in the back yard if she wants to.

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 9:04:47 AM PST
bluejen says:
I am having an awful time getting this monster hooked up (I have an iMac and a MacBook). So far, I can get it to copy and that's it - forget scanning! I've talked to Canon (not very helpful), but will have to try again today. Thank goodness I got it for a relatively cheap price at the Apple store.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 8:03:27 PM PST
CC Rider says:
Thank you for day 2. I could not get my new MX870 to print, so I took your advice and installed it manually. It worked.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  54
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Jul 16, 2010
Latest post:  12 days ago

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Canon PIXMA MX870 Wireless Office All-in-One Printer (4206B002)
Canon PIXMA MX870 Wireless Office All-in-One Printer (4206B002) by Canon
3.8 out of 5 stars   (823)