Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2011 5:58:06 PM PDT
This was my first experience reading Wilkinson, and due to the mixed reputation of The Prayer of Jabez, I wasn't sure what to expect. My experience with The God Pocket was also mixed. On one hand, this could be the start of a great movement within individual churches as well as the Church at large, one where Christians reach out to touch the lives of people who may not be obviously needy, but who need to know that God is thinking about them. On the other hand, there are parts of the book that could give Christians unrealistic expectations.
Mind you, I am not doubting God's ability to work through even one Christian who would implement the God pocket principles. Also, in most of the book, Wilkinson tries to make it clear that the return on giving is not always financial-though he does give examples of stories where it was. However, there is one sentence that seems to potentially undo most of that hard work, on page 99, when he is emphasizing that the God pocket should not replace regular tithing, he also states that most God pocket participants become more enthusiastic in giving to their local church and "have more funds to give". While this could be a way of saying that participating in the God pocket makes people realize that everything they have belongs to the Lord, it could also sound to some like the God pocket would lead to a raise in their salary or a decrease in the electric bill. Another concern was the mention of a website where you can order your own "God pocket" which may imply a desire of the authors to make a profit through this movement.
Overall, I think this book could be useful when read discerningly. It could be a great thing to try for a small group or even an entire church-particularly in a season without any obvious outreach program. I would just say to be very cautious in your reading of it.
I received a free copy of this book through Waterbrook Multnomah's Blogging for Books program in exchange for my honest review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 9, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The God Pocket: He owns it. You carry it. Suddenly, everything changes.
The God Pocket: He owns it. You carry it. Suddenly, everything changes. by Bruce Wilkinson (Hardcover - October 11, 2011)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (27)