Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Procrastination: Why You Do It, What to Do About It Now
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 19, 2012
As a "I was born late, been late ever since" kind of gal I know a thing or two about procrastination. But I never really knew why I procrastinated.

I have read tons of productivity books such as Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity (my favorite of all of them), The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, etc. And although most are great at helping you set up a system, they don't really help you get and STAY motivated. Of course, I always get a boost after reading a wonderful get up and go book, I just find myself after a month or even a week losing my way.

That is until I read this book.

I have been so, so, so much more productive the last few months. I was trying to figure out why and it donned on me it was this book! For the first time in my life, I find myself stopping to see why I'm procrastinating on something. It may not sound like a big thing but that one act of figuring out what it is that is preventing me from doing what I need/want to do enables me to actually do it!

Even the fact that I'm actually filling out a review just shows you that I'm not procrastinating any more (I always say I'm going to leave a review for any product I buy on Amazon since its the reviews that help me in purchasing products - you know - give back).

I didn't follow the 2 step program in the back of the book so I can't attest to the efficacy of that program. But considering how impactful just reading the book is, I'm sure its great.
on January 27, 2009
This book explains the complex psychological mechanics behind what we simply call 'procrastination'. It does it so well that we can see procrastination is just an outward symptom of much more complex subconscious processes that go on in our brains.

Highly recommended to anyone who felt, at any time in their life, that they are not living their life to their potential. If not anything else, this will reduce your guilt (by making you understand why you do what you do)
VINE VOICEon September 6, 2012
I am a chronic procrastinator. Procrastination: Why You Do It, What to Do About It Now, is a manual that helps people like me understand why we always put things off till the last minute, and how we can overcome the stress and worry that accompanies such behavior.

Key notes from my reading included:

Your brain is always changing, so you can change procrastination.
Procrastinator are often high achievers who appear to be doing fine (to others), but who are internally riddled with self-doubt.
Not everything you do has to be perfect.
Break up activities into manageable chunks of time as soon as you know your deadlines - plan it out.
I'm a maladaptive perfectionist - I have high standards, which I never meet due to self-criticism.
Stop and take time to acknowledge the small steps along the way to a big goal, instead of worrying about the end product. This will help actually get to the end product/state.

There are hundreds of tips that I found useful - the above are only a few. Bottom line is that I am now better equipped to rationally approach time. I have a few new tools for managing my deadlines, both self-imposed and inflicted by others. I'd definitely buy the book again despite the fact that a few chapters were not useful to me - the ones that were contained numerous nuggets of wisdom and a few moments where I thought - oh, so that's why I do that.

Knowing is half the battle. I had a major term paper due while reading this book, and I started it earlier than I would have otherwise because of my new awareness. I finished a few hours early - maybe not exciting to others - however, I have a long history of asking for extensions because I waited till the last minute.

If you are late for everything and have trouble finishing projects, this book is worth ten bucks, and probably a lot more. Don't put off buying it!
Approaching unwelcome tasks with an "I'll do it tomorrow" mindset is not unusual behavior. The problem is, tomorrow quickly becomes today, so the procrastinator sets a new tomorrow goal. This tomorrow goal eventually becomes a next week goal, then a next month goal, then a next year goal - that is, a never goal. Time runs out for everyone, but it does so far more quickly for procrastinators. If you procrastinate, do you know why? Psychologists Jane B. Burka and Lenora M. Yuen outline the reasons and roots of procrastination. More importantly, they show you how to fix your vexing, life-sapping procrastination problem. getAbstract suggests that anyone who procrastinates should buy this book. Now would be fine.
on October 18, 2009
The authors get into the psychology of procrastination, which no other book I have read does. This helps the reader get to the root of his or her problem. Although a few of the psychological explanations are tenuous at best, most of them are very good and will help many people understand their procrastination. The second part of the book gives actual methods to solve procrastination, which was explained psychologically in Part I. These methods are helpful and realistic (you are not expected to change overnight, and not even within weeks or months). The book was definitely worth the price.
on August 13, 2014
This has to be the best book on managing your time I've ever read. It's not just tips and time management, it helps you understand what you're doing and why, getting to the source of the problem so you're more self-aware during the act. As any procrastinator knows, time management is not the real problem, not entirely. It helps you target the ways you procrastinate and different types of procrastinators, from those who are perfectionists to those who passive-aggressively procrastinate to feel like they have more control over their time. I read this as a companion book to The Now Habit by Neil Fiore a few months ago, and in combination I'm finally getting a handle on managing all the things I want to do. I've revisited my notes again and again and am using the strategies that work for me daily.
on September 8, 2013
This book is very clear, even fun and beautiful at times.
It makes you think a lot about your own patterns of procrastination, about the fears you might have. I certainly don't know everything about procrastination, but I really think that this book adresses everything or almost everything that you need to know.

The appendixes are very useful and interesting, and the references the authors used are useful.

It was a rather long read, but it was definitely worth it. I wish I'd read this book 5 years ago.
on June 7, 2011
This book is a good find. It explores procrastination in a little bit deeper sense as to combat causes instead of effects. Instead of focusing only on time-management, the book explores why an individual might be feeling so aversive to a task in the first place. It sums up the book with a quality set of techniques that will actually work (if you do them.)

I've read quite a few other books on the subject, and nothing has quite been as meat-and-potatoes on the subject until this one.

Highly recommended.
on September 27, 2014
An incredible guide that will give you invaluable insight about why you procrastinate and will give you the pathway to start reversing the complex process of procrastinating in a friendly environment full of real life experience, stories, humor and the latest science exposed in simple terms.
on March 2, 2014
If you procrastinate, and you wouldn't be reading this if you didn't, just get the book, already. Now, as in don't procrastinate, get it-- NOW!

The great glory of the book is examples of people's reasons for procrastinating. You are pretty likely to find your "style" here, then the rest of the book shows you what to do about it. I have a small grouping of important books right next to my desk, and this is one of them. I also got the audio version, and I go and back between print and sound. Sometimes my eyes soak up more information, sometimes my ears. Any way you can get this book into your head is worth doing.