1,052 Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Cleaning is not that easy
Published on July 15, 2006 by genoa golf

1,397 of 1,408 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Yummy Waffles, September 9, 2001
This review is from: Proctor-Silex 26500Y Durable Belgian Waffle Baker (Kitchen)
Well, we wanted waffles and that's what we got with this waffle maker. It works as advertised. Nothing fancy here. Plug it in, make the batter and by the time you're done mixing the batter, the ready light is off and you pour your first waffle. Takes about 4 minutes per waffle and they come out moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. And they don't stick. I don't use any spray or butter on the non-stick surfaces. So, we are happy with our waffles.

UPDATE 11/8/09: It's been eight years and this waffle maker is still going strong. We use it about once a week and it has never failed to delight us with great waffles. And it's easy to clean too.

UPDATE 8/12/12: Still working great although my doctor says I should cut back on the waffles. I don't think so.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to clean! makes great waffles, January 27, 2004
joc (Berkeley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I've had this waffle maker for several years and it makes THE BEST waffles! They are crispy on the outside and melt in your mouth moist on the inside. It also is great for people who don't have a lot of space in their kitchen. It stands upright for storage. Also, what makes this waffle maker rate above others is the fact that it is VERY easy to clean! Other waffle irons can be hard to clean because the batter will ooze out and into little hard to reach spots and then you have to wait for it to cool and try to wipe it out somehow. I've owned other waffle makers before that did this. There's still dried out, old batter from places that were impossible to clean out! The Proctor Silex one does not have this problem. I practically don't even have to clean it! After I'm done, I'll wipe it gently with a paper towel, and that's about it! This combined with the fact that the Proctor Silex waffle maker also makes better waffles than other brands makes this the best one on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great basic waffle iron, November 15, 2000
This is a great basic waffle iron. It does have an indicator light to tell you when it's ready for the batter. I've seen other irons with timers or lights to indicate when the waffles are done, but I've used this one dozens of times and never burned a waffle yet. The non stick surface is easy to clean and the waffles turn out perfect, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. I actually use this much more than I thought I would...the kids love them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Has really stood the test of time - 10 years!, September 9, 2005
I bought this exact waffle maker more than 10 years ago, and it's still working! We use it about 2-3 times a week, and it has cooked well over 4,000 waffles. This is a big statement to quality, in my opinion, in a world where almost all products are manufactured to break just after their warranty ends. My model doesn't have any fancy bells and whistles -- just a light to indicate when it's heating, no settings other than "on" and "off" via plugged in or not, and crispness level is achieved by how much time you leave the waffle in the maker. But, given how these bells and whistles like to break on other gadgets, simplicity is sometimes better. If you want a good, simple waffle maker, this one is great.

My only complaint in all the time I've used it is the white part (the main body) gets hot when in use. I've actually used the closed waffle iron to melt chocolate wafers in a small glass dish set on top the iron (see how it's abused, poor thing!). It's never been hot enough to cause a burn, though. If I put my hand on it, it's hot, I take my hand off, end of story. I've never considered it to be a safety issue even with children. By virtue of proximity, the blue handle sometimes gets a bit warm as well, though not as warm as the white part. I've not had experience with other waffle makers, but it would make sense to me that the body of the iron gets hot, so I hesitate to even call this a flaw.

The only reason I'm even on Amazon looking for a new iron right now is because this one is just about worn out. There's a small crack in the back (my fault for dropping it, but yes, it has still worked for many years after that accident), and the spring connecting the two halves popped out from its channel in the hinge (again, probably due to dropping it on my part). Plus, after so many years the iron has lost its non-stick properties, and there's gummy residue in places where I can't reach it from so much use. But, all in all, these are minor issues -- for a waffle iron that's been through 10 years of very hard work in our family, it's unbelievable how it's held up. Even after I replace it, I'll keep this one in my cupboard, because I just can't part with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, inexpensive, and just as good as fancy models, October 1, 2006
Added, 4/9/2009- Still working great. Even browned crispy exterior, with a perfectly cooked interior. My only question is the price. I paid [...] in 12/06, and its [...] dollars now! Seems like too big of an increase in price.

Original review- This is a great waffle maker. I also have the previous model, the 26400 (red one). This is different in only 2 ways. The cord is a 3 prong on the 26500 (Blue one), and the griddle area is much deeper now, thus it is now a BELGIAN waffle maker.

As far as durability, I think it is best to say that my older one has hundreds of hours on it and is still as good as the first day I used it. This newer one is exactly the same in design and craftsmanship. I am glad that they did not change a good thing! Sometimes I wish the old one would die because now I have two different thickness' of waffles on the table and most people prefer this newer, deep BELGIAN style waffle.

One other difference is that this newer one is just a bit harder to clean. It is because the channels in the griddle are deeper. I use a cooking spray (butter flavored Crisco works best for me) and have never ever had a waffle stick. I did try to rely on the non-stick coating once, and that is NOT a smart thing to do. That is true of any waffle iron I have used. Use a cooking spray!

This device is 650 watts (about 5.5 amps on a 120V U.S. electric outlet). This is good, because most (check your own first) kitchen circuits can handle 15 or 20 amps. I use both the older on and this one at the same time. If you have the 20-amp circuit, you could use three!

I stated that I use two, because using two of these inexpensive waffle makers is much faster than using a large griddle multi-waffle iron. My friend has one of those, four at a time, waffle makers, but each of the four waffles is a bit small. Some of those big waffle-makers cost 60-100 dollars. Get your self two of these models instead. Trust me. It is faster and cheaper. The other bonus is that the chance of both irons being broke the same day is slim, and even if one breaks (unlikely though) it will mean that you lose only [...] bucks, and that you can still make the kids or yourself waffles with the remaining one! I don't like putting my eggs all in basket so to speak.

I have a fully stainless kitchen, but a waffle maker is usually something I put back in the cabinet, so the white and blue finish doesn't phase me.

Well good luck with yours, and I hope that you save some money and get these instead of the big fancy ones that make good waffles too, but cost more and have stainless steel exteriors.

[HINT: Be careful and you can flip this entire device upside down if you desire that feature in a waffle iron. I do it in a glass pie pan so it can't slip off the counter. It is not designed for that, but nevertheless, some people insist on flipping the iron, and it can do it with no batter leakage or threat to the durability of the unit, just be careful.]

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest to use and clean. Highly recommended. A+++++, February 20, 2005
This waffle maker was purchased to replace a bigger, more expensive model & brand. It costs much less than the "other" model and is by far the better appliance to own & use. It is soooo much easier to clean with no nooks & crannies for batter to get into; the owners manual contains more detailed information for the novice waffle maker and it makes PERFECT waffles each and every time. There's even a well surrounding the waffle iron griddle to catch any over-spillage so the unit remains clean even when over-filled. The only advantage to the more expensive model was that it pre-heated to cooking temperature a little bit faster, but truth be told, there is still dried batter in areas of the expensive model that simply cannot be reached for removal. We used the expensive model twice before buying this replacement and have used it almost daily since it arrived and it's still CLEAN! There are tons of waffle recipes online so breakfast is never boring. Just goes to show that more expensive isn't ALWAYS better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Waffles Ever :), June 19, 2002
This Waffle Iron makes truly delicious waffles. I never really cared for waffles, but after trying them baked with this maker. I absolutely love waffles now. It's so easy to use and make waffles. And as other people have stated, "they're moist on the inside and crisp on the outside". I may never eat Pancakes again. The waffles far outshine pancakes. Everyone needs to have one of these in their kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes good waffles though handle gets hot, May 4, 2005
We recently were searching for a replacement waffle iron since our broke, so I started my search by reading all the on-line reviews. I was tempted by the higher priced waffle makers with all their features, but figured they probably won't make any better waffle when a cheaper one. I liked the reviews on the morning baker belgian waffle maker, so I bought one (found it at a different store for less money though). We have made waffles many times with it, and it really does make good waffles. It is also really easy to clean up. One thing I don't like about it though is that the handle gets really hot while cooking. I have to use a pot holder to lift up the handle every time I make waffles. Besides the handle getting too hot, we are pleased with our purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cleaning is not that easy, July 15, 2006
I have this wafflemaker, and it works great - fast and easy. But when it comes to cleaning up - it is a mess. You cannot remove the irons and wash them, so the only option is wiping all those nooks and crannies with a paper towel - and you will have to wait for a while before the unit cools off. I hate to use this thing because of clean up involved. The batter does not stick to the irons, but anyway after wiping you can see it is not completly clean and dry. I would prefer removable irons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum Yum!, March 15, 2001
"guba67" (Edwardsville, IL) - See all my reviews
We love the Morning Baker Belgian Waffle Baker. Our waffles taste great and are easy to make. It also is easy to clean and store. This product out shines more expensive brands.

Proctor-Silex 26500Y Durable Belgian Waffle Baker