Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Proctor Silex 72500RY 1-1/2-Cup Food Chopper
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Package Quantity: 1|Change

on September 5, 2005
This chopper is great! For most of the stuff I make as a bachelor cooking for 1 person I don't need a monster sized food processor, and this little guy saves a lot of chopping and mincing I used to do with a knife.

You can toss some avacado, red onion, cilantro, salt, and the juice from a lime into it and in like 5 seconds have homemade guacamole to go with some tortilla chips.

Other stuff like pesto or marinara sauce for 1 or 2 people are easy to make with it too.
review image
22 comments| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2005
I needed a food chopper badly, so I'm glad I made this purchase. It does a good job, it's incredibly cheap and the size is indeed very compact. However, I have to say, that even for a one-person household I find it a bit too small.Even an onion has to be chopped in halves, the whole onion would be too much for it. If I was to buy a new one I'd go for a bigger one.
11 comment| 230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2011
After reading reviews on Black and Decker and others I knew this was the only choice. I received it yesterday and it was not a disappointment. I am elderly and have teeth problems that require expensive fixing. Until then I must grind my food. Texans love their barbeque and I'm no exception. My first barbeque joint visit in a year was about five minutes after receiving this little Procter Silex chopper. I put in enough good lean pit barbeque along with sauce for two sandwiches and let 'er rip. In about ten seconds I had barbecue so finely chopped I could spread it on sandwich bread and really enjoy.

It's simple and is easy to disassemble and clean. Everything is just twist and lift off. The instructions warn that the blades are very sharp, and they are. They are sharp as a good chef's knife. I avoid stainless steel knives because most of them are soft metal and will not hold an edge. With experience you can tell cheap stainless from the professional, cold forged stuff that approximates high carbon steel, but doesn't rust. The blades in this little chopper are made from the good stuff and sharpened like the finest professional chef's knife. The blades have that grey tone that sets the good stainless apart from the soft flashy cheap stainless. I'm pretty sure these blades are also tempered.

The unit doesn't have a conventional ON/OFF switch. You just twist the easy-grip lid to the right and hold it there to chop, then release and remove. It's simplicity is one of it's best virtues. I've done a lot of human factors engineering in my time and I couldn't have come up with a better design. A few other reviews indicate that the clear plastic body of the food holder is the weakest link and is prone to crack in time, although some are 10 years old and still going. If this happens I will fix it with glue made for plastics, using a reinforcing patch if I have to. The little chopper is worthy of repair rather than tossing.

Some reviewers have praised its compactness while others wish it had greater capacity. Well, you can't have it both ways. I personally like its compactness and easy storability. One and a half cups are about right for me. According to the instructions, about the only thing you're not supposed chop is raw meat. Cooked is OK. It's great for onions cooked chicken, tuna, and just about everything else you can fit inside.

Shop around for the best price. I found mine for $9.99 with shipping at $4.99, making a total of only $14.98, out of New York. Be careful of a misleadingly low price but coupled with a high shipping charge by unscrupulous sellers.

*** UPDATE ***

It's now April 4, 2012, and this little sucker is still going strong. Nothing cracked or broken. I did re-sharpen the blades once with a small stone. Only a light touch-up was needed. I plan to try it with oatmeal to see if it will make oat flour faster than my big processor. Oat flour is not only good for you, it's great for thickening liquids like unsweetened almond milk to make a banana-pineapple-cinnamon-vanilla smoothie that requires no sugar. Im no vegan or health nut but I returned to non-diabetic (stage-2) status with this stuff, and laying off potatoes and all foods made with processed white flour in just three months. I like this little unit so much I might even fabricate a food holder duplicate out of metal with a transparent acrylic top if the plastic holder ever disintegrates and I can't order a replacement.

99 comments| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 1, 2003
The only negative part about this little chopper is that is does only chop small quantities, however, it does such a fantastic job, and it's such a great price, that it hardly matters. ANYone who cooks should have this! EASY to use and clean, chops amazingly. I highly recommend it.
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2007
For an incredibly low price, this is a handy little chopper to keep on your kitchen counter. It doesn't hold much at one time, but that's exactly why it is so handy to keep within easy reach. Easy to take apart, clean, and put back together. Saves having to haul out or wash the full size food processor when you only want to chop one onion or similar small amounts. Really, don't agonize over this, for the price you can't go wrong.
on November 12, 2003
very good performance for a $10 appliance. Yes, it only chops small quantities, but that's exactly the advantage for a 1-2 person household. It's so small I have left it reside on my 2-foot counter. Also, it is easy to clean and this is a big deal for me because I use it DAILY! the only negative is that the bowl cracked after a few months use, but again, giving $10 every 6 months for such a convenience is worth it.
on August 28, 2007
I have received 2 of these choppers. The first one was broken upon arrival in the top of the container. I returned it, then received a new one very quickly. I've used it a few times, and it was wonderful. It chops things up very small, and very quickly. Unfortunately, it has now craked in the same place as the first one. As of this point it is still usable, but I will not purchase the same one after this one completely breaks!
on June 27, 2006
It's fast to use. I can chop half an onion (or more if I wanted), which is exactly what I need for one day. I can mix fruits and yogurt for a dessert for me. I used to use it to pure food for my baby.

It's extremely easy to clean. It's like washing a normal glass.

It's a great purchase for its price.

I'm very happy with it.
on October 4, 2011
It works very well, when it's not broken. Unfortunately, in the 2+ months since I bought one, 2 have broken. The bowl on the first one cracked in several places after about 3 uses, the store gave my a new one, then only a little more than a month later, it suddenly died while chopping nuts.
on March 18, 2014
This stupid thing literally just liquifies everything. You don't even have to run it for two seconds and everything is mush. Maybe good for baby food or sauces, but I don't have a baby, and I have a blender for sauces. I just wanted to chop my veggies the lazy way. It doesn't work well for its intended purpose, I don't recommendg wasting your time or money.