4.0 out of 5 stars It's good value for its price
I needed a food chopper badly, so I'm glad I made this purchase. It does a good job, it's incredibly cheap and the size is indeed very compact. However, I have to say, that even for a one-person household I find it a bit too small.Even an onion has to be chopped in halves, the whole onion would be too much for it. If I was to buy a new one I'd go for a bigger one.
Published on April 30, 2005 by cseszter

3.0 out of 5 stars Breaks easily
Published on August 28, 2007 by J. Sullivan

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good value for its price, April 30, 2005
cseszter (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Proctor Silex 72500RY 1-1/2-Cup Food Chopper (Kitchen)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, and it chops and minces quick and easy!, September 5, 2005
Tim Patterson (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Proctor Silex 72500RY 1-1/2-Cup Food Chopper (Kitchen)
This chopper is great! For most of the stuff I make as a bachelor cooking for 1 person I don't need a monster sized food processor, and this little guy saves a lot of chopping and mincing I used to do with a knife.

You can toss some avacado, red onion, cilantro, salt, and the juice from a lime into it and in like 5 seconds have homemade guacamole to go with some tortilla chips.

Other stuff like pesto or marinara sauce for 1 or 2 people are easy to make with it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I hoped it would be, October 19, 2011
This review is from: Proctor Silex 72500RY 1-1/2-Cup Food Chopper (Kitchen)
After reading reviews on Black and Decker and others I knew this was the only choice. I received it yesterday and it was not a disappointment. I am elderly and have teeth problems that require expensive fixing. Until then I must grind my food. Texans love their barbeque and I'm no exception. My first barbeque joint visit in a year was about five minutes after receiving this little Procter Silex chopper. I put in enough good lean pit barbeque along with sauce for two sandwiches and let 'er rip. In about ten seconds I had barbecue so finely chopped I could spread it on sandwich bread and really enjoy.

It's simple and is easy to disassemble and clean. Everything is just twist and lift off. The instructions warn that the blades are very sharp, and they are. They are sharp as a good chef's knife. I avoid stainless steel knives because most of them are soft metal and will not hold an edge. With experience you can tell cheap stainless from the professional, cold forged stuff that approximates high carbon steel, but doesn't rust. The blades in this little chopper are made from the good stuff and sharpened like the finest professional chef's knife. The blades have that grey tone that sets the good stainless apart from the soft flashy cheap stainless. I'm pretty sure these blades are also tempered.

The unit doesn't have a conventional ON/OFF switch. You just twist the easy-grip lid to the right and hold it there to chop, then release and remove. It's simplicity is one of it's best virtues. I've done a lot of human factors engineering in my time and I couldn't have come up with a better design. A few other reviews indicate that the clear plastic body of the food holder is the weakest link and is prone to crack in time, although some are 10 years old and still going. If this happens I will fix it with glue made for plastics, using a reinforcing patch if I have to. The little chopper is worthy of repair rather than tossing.

Some reviewers have praised its compactness while others wish it had greater capacity. Well, you can't have it both ways. I personally like its compactness and easy storability. One and a half cups are about right for me. According to the instructions, about the only thing you're not supposed chop is raw meat. Cooked is OK. It's great for onions cooked chicken, tuna, and just about everything else you can fit inside.

Shop around for the best price. I found mine for $9.99 with shipping at $4.99, making a total of only $14.98, out of New York. Be careful of a misleadingly low price but coupled with a high shipping charge by unscrupulous sellers.

*** UPDATE ***

It's now April 4, 2012, and this little sucker is still going strong. Nothing cracked or broken. I did re-sharpen the blades once with a small stone. Only a light touch-up was needed. I plan to try it with oatmeal to see if it will make oat flour faster than my big processor. Oat flour is not only good for you, it's great for thickening liquids like unsweetened almond milk to make a banana-pineapple-cinnamon-vanilla smoothie that requires no sugar. Im no vegan or health nut but I returned to non-diabetic (stage-2) status with this stuff, and laying off potatoes and all foods made with processed white flour in just three months. I like this little unit so much I might even fabricate a food holder duplicate out of metal with a transparent acrylic top if the plastic holder ever disintegrates and I can't order a replacement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic chopper!!, January 1, 2003
K. "daisy4given" (Northern Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Proctor Silex 72500RY 1-1/2-Cup Food Chopper (Kitchen)
The only negative part about this little chopper is that is does only chop small quantities, however, it does such a fantastic job, and it's such a great price, that it hardly matters. ANYone who cooks should have this! EASY to use and clean, chops amazingly. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite the little bargain!, February 24, 2007
TravelMod (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Proctor Silex 72500RY 1-1/2-Cup Food Chopper (Kitchen)
For an incredibly low price, this is a handy little chopper to keep on your kitchen counter. It doesn't hold much at one time, but that's exactly why it is so handy to keep within easy reach. Easy to take apart, clean, and put back together. Saves having to haul out or wash the full size food processor when you only want to chop one onion or similar small amounts. Really, don't agonize over this, for the price you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 27, 2006
This review is from: Proctor Silex 72500RY 1-1/2-Cup Food Chopper (Kitchen)
It's fast to use. I can chop half an onion (or more if I wanted), which is exactly what I need for one day. I can mix fruits and yogurt for a dessert for me. I used to use it to pure food for my baby.

It's extremely easy to clean. It's like washing a normal glass.

It's a great purchase for its price.

I'm very happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good deal, November 12, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Proctor Silex 72500RY 1-1/2-Cup Food Chopper (Kitchen)
very good performance for a $10 appliance. Yes, it only chops small quantities, but that's exactly the advantage for a 1-2 person household. It's so small I have left it reside on my 2-foot counter. Also, it is easy to clean and this is a big deal for me because I use it DAILY! the only negative is that the bowl cracked after a few months use, but again, giving $10 every 6 months for such a convenience is worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for baby food...not so for chunky salsa, February 15, 2007
Martha J (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Proctor Silex 72500RY 1-1/2-Cup Food Chopper (Kitchen)
This little chopper has worked great so far for baby food (stage 1-yams, sweet peas, carrots, apples, pears) to freeze and store. Unfortunately, we were hoping to use it to save time in making our favorite chunky salsa recipe but it works a bit too well and the onions and peppers got too mushy really fast. It changed the whole flavor of the salsa so we will likely just take the time to hand-chop next time. Nonetheless, it is easy to rinse off and throw in the dishwasher after using it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Breaks easily, August 28, 2007
This review is from: Proctor Silex 72500RY 1-1/2-Cup Food Chopper (Kitchen)
I have received 2 of these choppers. The first one was broken upon arrival in the top of the container. I returned it, then received a new one very quickly. I've used it a few times, and it was wonderful. It chops things up very small, and very quickly. Unfortunately, it has now craked in the same place as the first one. As of this point it is still usable, but I will not purchase the same one after this one completely breaks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Chopper, June 29, 2007
This review is from: Proctor Silex 72500RY 1-1/2-Cup Food Chopper (Kitchen)
This little chopper does all (and more) that I would expected it to do. The acid test for any mini chopper (for me) is whether it can make ham salad. It passed this test with flying colors, chopping the ham into a perfect consistent size (no crumbs and chunks.) It also does all those little chopping jobs that are impractical for the full size food processors. The best part is that it's inexpensive, small, quiet and very easy to clean. Please pay no mind to AVJONES who railed against this great little chopper (what kind of a cook chops spinach in a mini-chopper?) Ending, I'm a pretty darn good cook and I say this is a handy little gadget for most of the small chopping jobs that you'll ever do. Stop agonizing, just buy one.

Update: My beloved little chopper died on Sept. 10, 2010. R.I.P. Sniff, Sniff. Note: Actually, the plastic bowl just cracked and crumbled and became unserviceable. The motor still worked, but I had to pronounce it dead, anyway and bury it in the landfill.

Proctor Silex 72500RY 1-1/2-Cup Food Chopper