1,079 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Considering The Price...
-Guys.
--Girls.
---Everybody.
----[Especially anyone who is upset with their purchase of a ten or fifteen-dollar coffee grinder.]

Lend Me Your Ears.

This thing rocks.

I bought one of these about four years ago when I was just learning how to drink coffee.
I got it for ten bucks at the Longs Drugs down the street...
Published on July 22, 2008 by D. G. McAuley

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after the first month
I was looking for a cheap coffee grinder to grind spices, herbs and seeds. This is not the one, the locking mechanism/grind button is shabbily glued on and fell off after the first month. It still works but I have to jam a screwdriver in the safety latch everytime i need to grind.
Published on July 7, 2011 by C. Stefanescu

5.0 out of 5 stars Considering The Price..., July 22, 2008
This review is from: Proctor Silex E160BY Fresh Grind Coffee Grinder, White (Kitchen)
-Guys.
--Girls.
---Everybody.

Lend Me Your Ears.

This thing rocks.

I got it for ten bucks at the Longs Drugs down the street.

It worked then, when I was making joe with my roommate's hand-me-down Mr. Coffee crap machine.
It works now, with the beautiful Breville espresso maker I (we) just got as a wedding present.

If you're having trouble getting a fine grind, you just hafta shake it. For espresso, I shake it for about thirty seconds and everything kinda turns out alright.
Sure, there are some beans that didn't get totally obliterated, but this is a ten-dollar coffee grinder that has lasted me for four years.

It's no $100 burr grinder, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want one of those, but this thing is like thirteen bucks! If this is your price range (i.e. the 2 large lattes price range) you really can't complain too much.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I'd get this grinder's back if it took me to a party and s--t started to go down.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm buying a 2nd one!, October 10, 2004
I love this coffee grinder. It's compact and the cord winds up inside of it. It makes for very easy storage. It's also very easy to clean. There is no reason to purchase an expensive grinder when this does just as good of a job. I'm buying a 2nd one to grind up spices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Grinder for the Price, November 6, 2006
Jim Watson (New Haven, CT USA) - See all my reviews
I see people complaining about this grinder being too small... uh, it's SUPPOSED to be small! That would be like buying an 18-wheeler tractor trailer and cab and then complaining that the truck was too big!!!

Anyway, for a small grinder, this thing is great. I use it not only for coffee, but for flax seeds and just about anything else I need to grind up in small quantities. If you often find yourself wanting to grind a pound of coffee, then *obviously* this is too small for you though.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star - I use for small quanity, September 28, 2002
BlackRaven 50641 (Iowa ,United States) - See all my reviews
The unit is easy to use, convenient. Cord wrap up is great. Nice size to sit on your cabinet. I use for grinding my Flax Seeds I take daily for health. It's the perfect size for daily usage to grind the flax seeds. Excellent for small quanity .

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this model, April 10, 2008
I've had one of these for about 10-12 years and it has always worked great grinding coffee nice & fine. Perfect for making espresso. After daily use for that long, it finally wore out and I am so glad that they are still making them. The cord winding function is fantastic, it keeps the cord clean, safe & out of the way. It grinds coffee as fine as any grinder out there. (I used to run a small coffee bar so I've ground a lot of coffee.) My advice if you need buckets of ground coffee is to buy a large capacity model but for standard portions of coffee, ground as fine as you'd like, this model is wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars great spice grinder!, November 15, 2005
Avidreader (New York, N.Y.) - See all my reviews
I cook a lot of Indian food and use this to produce fresh, ground spices in seconds. Have had it for 5 years and it finally conked when someone helpfully washed out the element. You've got to be careful not to use any liquid in the grinding (otherwise the cap jams and won't lift off. The blade, too, is effective only when the compartment is dry.) Never wash this grinder, just wipe it dry. Apart from these minor constraints it's a hardy and nifty object. I just bought my second one today. 11 bucks! You can't go wrong...

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect grinder for someone who uses a small french press, November 11, 2009
There are a lot of negative reviews, which tells me that the key thing in getting this grinder is managing your expectations. I gave it 5 stars and I stick by it.

First, Yes... it is small. I use a French press and make enough coffee for two cups. This is perfect and then some. If you want a grinder that is for much larger pots, then this is not the right grinder for you.

ALSO, if you are retarded, then you won't quite understand why the lid is circular with one flat section. That will particularly be the case if you bought this thinking you were going to grind coffee adequate for a 10 cup pot.

So why is this a 5 star coffee grinder?

BECAUSE of the design. If you are using this for small pots of coffee, then you will realize that the flat portion allows for you to set the grounds down. It also makes POURING the grinds easier somehow. I have a grinder with a flat top and the grounds don't quite fall out as nicely as they do out of this rounded top. I think it has to do with how coffee grains fill into corners.

ALSO, the windy cord thing, though a it takes a bit of getting use to, is a wonderful feature for storage.

The last reason I would recommend this has to do with my favorite technique for getting all the grounds out into the lid. I usually turn the grinder upside down and hit the grinder 1 more time so that the grinding/wind moves all the grounds from the grinder into the lid. I tried this with a more typically designed grinder and had far more grounds stay in the grinder.

Highly recommended for coffee or cinnamon sticks. I have had mine for over 5 years and it is still kicking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Price Isn't Everything -- 2011 UPDATE -- RIP Little Grinder, May 31, 2005
Final Update: Our little noisy grinder finally gave up the ghost in late 2010. The motor was still strong, but the shaft that connected to the blades stripped, so the blades no longer spun at the speed of light. All in all, despite the shortcomings I mentioned below, we got our money's worth out of this appliance and we might even buy another some day. Rest in Peace little grinder! We appreciate your 5+ years of faithful service...

March 25, 2009 UPDATE: Out of fairness, I thought I should update my comments to reflect the fact that despite the shortcomings I mentioned in my earlier reviews, this little machine is still kicking. I am a cheap guy by nature, so I continue to hang on to the Proctor Silex grinder and use it when I am going to use just a little coffee. Despite my earlier disappointments, this has turned out to be a nice addition to our kitchen. If the system would allow it, I would add a star or two to my original rating.

January 13, 2007 UPDATE: I've learned to compensate for the limited capacity of this grinder...I must run it through two cycles to grind enough coffee for my 10-Cup coffee-maker. Additionally, if you buy this, I recommend that you do not use the cord winding feature, as something on the inside of the cord's compartment has stripped the plastic insulation off my wire, which left the wire bare and dangerous.

Against my better judgment, I bought one of these, attracted by the low price and the fact that it was the only model available at the time. What a waste. The blade is so high above the base of the jar that you cannot produce a fine grind without shaking the unit while grinding. Also, the bowl is too small to grind enough beans for even my small 4-cup machine. Finally, as if to add insult to injury, Proctor Silex designed the unit to be very difficult to clean. What a mess! You're much better off to spend the $20 or $30 to get a grinder that actually works. Look for all the features that Proctor Silex chose to omit from their grinder and you should make a pretty favorable purchase. I'd like to give my Proctor Silex Coffee Mill to a charity thrift store, but I don't want to offend anybody. I rated this as 1 star simply because a 0 star rating wasn't available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong motor, reliable, September 11, 2005
Good machine. I'd give it 5 stars, but the cap can be a minor pain to pull off at times. Other than that, good design and grinds very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Know your needs, May 4, 2010
M. Hauser (West Chester, PA USA) - See all my reviews
The secret to being satisfied with most any purchase is to know your needs to begin with. If you are looking for a small, compact, intelligently designed, easy to use coffee grinder that isn't too demanding on your wallet this one certainly fits the bill. Just know that it will only grind enough beans for 1-2 cups of coffee at a time. If you are preparing coffee for 1 or 2 that is an advantage because it allows the unit to be small enough to fit comfortably and manageably in one hand and store easily without taking up much room. If you want to brew a larger quantity of coffee, look elsewhere. Another great feature is an easily retractable cord that disappears neatly inside the unit and stays there till the next use. An additional clever design feature is a see-through plastic dome lid that has a small circular flat area so it rests on a surface without rolling around. I think you could look far and not find a better unit with similar features at this price. Call me crazy but I also think my coffee tastes better since I started using this grinder.

Update 06/14/10 - As a precaution I'd suggest that you not hold the white plastic part of the lid (the part that is depressed to grind) while turning the top to rewind the cord. It breaks easily off the lid if it is held while turning the lid. On the matter of coffee tasting better since I began using this grinder, I think it likely due to the fact that the beans are ground more uniformly than with my previous grinder.

Update 11/12/10 - First I want to call attention to the fact that this unit was still operable after the small white plastic part depressed to grind came off. I didn't make that clear previously. I just stored the part in the cupboard and reattached it temporarily each time I used the grinder. It worked fine and I no longer had to worry about the part breaking off since it already had. Today, however, I noticed that the cord was frayed in two small areas close to the grinder and the copper wires exposed, making the unit too dangerous to continue using. I think this was likely to be expected after winding and unwinding the cord into the unit twice daily for 6 1/2 months. I still think the feature a valuable one in terms of convenience, appearance and space-saving. Would I buy this grinder again? I think probably so. Its small size makes it ideal for someone with small or arthritic hands and I really like that it takes up so little space. Consider also that the cost of this item came to only about 7 cents a day and I used it twice on most days, making it less than 4 cents per use. I don't regret purchasing it taking all that into consideration.

Update 11/28/10 - I did end up buying another one of these little grinders. It delivers what I need and want for my purposes and I've enjoyed using it. The 2 problems I had with the first one were likely due in part to my own misuse of the item and I think I've found the solutions to both. To prevent breaking off of the small white plastic part depressed for grinding the answer is to unplug the unit, remove the lid, pour out the ground coffee, then rewind the cord before replacing the lid. Previously I was replacing the lid before rewinding the cord and done in that order there is almost no way to prevent undue stress on the part that breaks easily. The trick to preventing rapid wear of the cord resulting in exposure of bare copper is I think to leave the last 4 or 5 inches of the cord unwound so there is less stress on the part that has been rewound into the base of the grinder. This still allows for easier storage of this unit than one that doesn't allow retraction of the cord. Bottom line here - - - if you are making only one or two cups of coffee and have either small or arthritic hands this grinder will serve you well. Just one more point: some reviewers have complained they can't grind coffee fine enough with this unit. This is a matter of preference I think. I prepare coffee using a simple drip method and it is better to use a slightly coarse grind for this purpose. If you are looking for a very fine grind perhaps another grinder might better suit your purpose.

Proctor Silex E160BY Fresh Grind Coffee Grinder, White