Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 24, 2013
Used an electric kettle in Ireland and really loved it. It boiled the water so fast. Wasn't sure how this would work in the USA because we have 110 volt power, and Ireland has 220 volt power.

I read the reviews on this one and decided to give it a try ($20 including taxes and shipping). It fully meets my expectations. It boils the water quickly, much faster than stove top or microwave (probably not as fast as the one in Ireland though).

Some reviews commented that there was a plastic or chemical smell. The one we received has no smell whatsoever.

Some other reviews commented that it didn't pour well, and was difficult to fill with water. We have found that this pours well (no drips) and is easy to fill (the lid opens about 90 degrees and stays in place while filling).

I would recommend this one to everyone.
on December 27, 2012
I have had this item for a couple of years and absolutely love it. It boils water much quicker than my gas stove and I can leave it plugged in all day and reheat later. My mom had a stroke last spring and since then has burned several pots after putting them on the stove with water to boil for her tea. And then forgetting about them. I just bought her this pot. She loves being able to fill it in the evening as her hands are stiff and wih less control in the mornings. In the morning she pushes the button down and it quickly boils. If she forgets, it turns itself off. When she remembers again, she just pushes the button on the handle down and it heats up again. Perfect! No more worries about burning the house down.
One tip: If you have hard water be sure to drain the pot and leave it with the top open to dry out periodically. Otherwise the metal coils inside will become caked with calcium and other sediments. If this happens just soak in vinegar and it comes right off. Wash it out and it is clean as new.
on June 3, 2012
I fell in love with electric kettles on trips to Europe. I really never ran across them at stores in the US back when I learned about them. This kettle works well. It gets water boiling hot quickly. It does not feel hot when you pick it up to pour. It pours well. I've been using this one for several weeks and really like it. I highly recommend it.
on February 23, 2013
The good: Quck to boil. No metallic aftertaste. Good for several cups. Stays clean. Looks good. Safe.
The not so good: Really only complaint is need to remember to push the top down securely to activate automatic shut off switch when water boils.
Would I buy it again: Yes. Great device.
on March 25, 2013
Arrive unbroken and used since the first day, recommend that you fill and boil 4-5 times to rid plastic odor. Takes about 8 minutes to boil a full kettle. I got this as a cheap replacement for my stainless steel one which stopped working after 8 months. I like the base on this one in that it uses a three point contact for the heating element. It has a lighted ON rocker switch which shuts off when the water comes to a boil. The attached lid opens far enough to fill with water. I notice some reviews stating that the lid was easily broken I haven't noticed that yet. I use this unit 2-3 times a day for coffee, tea and hot coca. I'm satisfied with my purchase.
on May 31, 2013
It seems like most of the other reviewers were annoyed that they had a smell or a taste from their kettle. Before my first use I rinsed out the inside, then boiled a full kettle and I was good to go. No strange taste or odor.

I use this at least twice a day. Every night I brew some Kava tea and almost all mornings I'll make some oatmeal. The water is boiled and ready for my oatmeal long before my scrambled eggs are done.

The pouring is good. It is a decent stream so I'm not getting a lot of splashing back or overflow.
on December 28, 2011
k4987y kettle was all I expected it to be. Fast . Convenient. Easy to use and very reasonably priced. Would purchase another. Pructor-silex Electric Kettle
on August 18, 2014
Hi. This worked well for a while until the chrome on the heating element peeled off. Now it's bare steel. To the uninspired chaps out there reading this, that means when it gets wet it rusts. Well this device is intended to be used with water I'm pretty sure, so we now have a discord between intended use and end results. See, the rust flakes off and ends up in my tea, and then in my stomach, where it will probably stay until the universe implodes. I guess this is good because I no longer need to take an iron supplement, and my tea tastes like the barrel of a BMG .50 cal, and that's pretty cool. BTW, I called the jokers over there at Proctor Silex but their complaint department was closed due to the awe-inspiring number of calls coming in. Two stars for this because it does indeed turn regular water into boiling water.
on January 14, 2013
So far my wife and I love the electric kettle. This was a replacement for an electric kettle that finally died on us after years of use. I followed the direction of heating the kettle a few times prior to use (emptying out the water and replacing it). After this was done, no "smell" of plastic existed.
on February 25, 2014
This kettle was terrific and we used it every day. It boils incredibly fast, and shuts right off when done. But the switch broke after 9mo of use, and now it won't shut off. mfr said they'd send us a new one....for $14.99 S/H. Disappointing.