2,507 Reviews
 (1,532)

5.0 out of 5 stars I leave it on the counter 24/7
Published 14 days ago by John T. Theiss

1.0 out of 5 stars Safety hazard!
Terrible product! I bought this after my other electric kettle went out. The cord is a hassle to take out/ put it (my previous kettle connected to a base). If you fill to close to the fill line it boils over and out of the kettle. VERY DANGEROUS! The worst part is that it doesn't always shut off when done. So it will boil until dry if I do not shut it off.
Published 3 months ago by Griffin Thomas Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Safety hazard!, July 26, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars I leave it on the counter 24/7, October 11, 2014
Paired with a mellita, you cannot beat it for fast coffee in the morning. I love the auto shutoff and the almost spill proof pour. Don't pour too fast as it'll spread to the sides a little. Not dangerously, but it can hit the counter rather than the container you are aiming for. I've learned to leave it open for a few minutes after use to prevent mildew, a problem in my weather environment. Looking at it, I would not cook or steep in it. I may be wrong, but I like the visability through the sides and anticipate that the element will cake up if more than water is put in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, July 16, 2014
Sarah B. (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
I love this kettle and use it daily! I was concerned about the plastic smell a few reviews reported but after maybe a small whiff during the first use (strictly to boil and then pour out the water), I haven't had any issue. Perhaps different year models had issue, but as of 2014, this is a great kettle, especially for the price. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars and easy to clean, July 14, 2014
This was exactly what I needed. It's efficient, quick, and easy to clean. I make tea for myself and my brother. I used the kettle as soon as I got it and followed the directions. Some users complain of a strong plastic taste in the water. This is not present when I use the kettle. Perhaps those users didn't boil water in it first and dump it out for the first use before making anything with it. The kettle is extremely easy to use. The automatic shut-off feature is enough to qualify this a worthwhile purchase. Overall, I would definitely recommend to any tea lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, July 14, 2014
The best!

4.0 out of 5 stars Proctor Silex Electric Kettle, June 17, 2014
I have had this one before, I like it because it's much lighter than the metal ones available, much easier for seniors. The water heats up really fast too.
Unfortunately the mesh insert is already deteriorating which allows sediment come though.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would not buy again., July 27, 2014
I will start with the CONS first as they are important.
1. The most important factor is a safety issue: the kettle will auto shut off and you will think it's off, but 20 minutes or 45 or 3 hours later it will randomly turn itself back on. It does this every time it's used. I thought it must be our socket, so I tried other sockets and when it still did it, I brought it into work and it did it there to. Obviously this is a fluke and may only be my one kettle, but be aware. It does cycle off again, but do not leave it plugged in when you are not close to it.

2. The plug is ridiculously short and hard to unplug, so when you go to unplug it, you have to make sure all the water is out of it because you have to pull hard and the water in the pot will go flying out at your face. Because of CON one, unplugging immediately after using, this means the kettle will still be hot. Be careful here.

3. If you have any kind of water issues, it will crust up on the element and flake off in the water- so you have to descale this by scrubbing with vinegar often- depending on your level of hard water. We have very hard water and if I don't scrub it out every week, I end up with tons of white flaky bits in my tea and coffee.

4. Although it does have the auto shut off, some times it shuts off right before it reaches boiling because it only stays on five minutes at a time and if the pot is full it will shut off before that.

PROS:
1. No whistling. While it does make a rattling sound as it boils, there is no whistle so the baby/sleeping spouse won't wake up
2. Auto shut off.
3. Fairly fast. You can boil enough water for 2 cups of coffee in about 3 minutes. More water takes longer and may never boil (before shutting off)
, BUT this is not necessarily a bad thing if you temp test for your coffee. It's usually about 190 when it shuts off (full pot) which is almost perfect for the french press.

It's inexpensive, it's easy to use and it does the job it's supposed to, so it gets 2 stars.
It has some safety issues that are not present in other kettles, but some of them are simply due to the fact that you are dealing with with boiling hard water, so I deducted 2 stars for that.
I went back and forth debating if this should get 2 stars or 3 and in the end asked myself if I would replace it with the same kettle and the answer should be obvious- Not with these safety issues. I wanted the star count to reflect that. It's not OK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works OK. Not as quick to boil as the ..., July 22, 2014
Works OK. Not as quick to boil as the ones in Europe, but I guess it's because US electric runs 110, not 220.

I use it at least 1-2 times a day and it serves its purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for what you get for the price!, October 3, 2014
Pros:
- Petite :) More so than most electric kettles. In fact, in the past when i have purchased "nicer" electric kettles, i wished i could get one this size, instead of all the huge ones that were available.
- Has thus far held up to 1 year of extremely frequent use
- Cheapest kettle w auto shutoff [at time of purchase, at any rate]
- Works super well and heats water very quickly!

Cons:
- Plastic. This is a con to me, but might not be to everyone. I just distrust heating and reheating things in plastic. That said, i have not gotten a new kettle, and i have not even looked into what type of plastic this is made from (i am just assuming it is one that does not off-gas because i am cheap and dont want to have to buy a new kettle.)
- No easily removable base. You have to plug and unplug this to move it around. That is 100% a function of the cost. I would much rather have a kettle you can easily pick up off a base, but at the time of purchase, kettles like that cost at least twice as much.

Overall, i am glad i bought this and would make the same choice again.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5* Product At A Bargain Price, September 13, 2014
I love visiting the USA. Every year you can find me in either Las Vegas or New York or Orlando, and wherever you go in the USA the hotels are always ten times better than we have in Britain, BUT you can never get a kettle to allow you to make tea in the room. Some chains think you can make tea in a coffee maker - you can't, it tastes awful - and others suggest you use the microwave. (Stupid idea.) So how do us Brits deal with our tea addiction? Simple - you order a Proctor Silex K2070YA 1 liter kettle from Amazon, get it delivered to your hotel in advance of your stay, and because it is so simple to set up, you can have tea prepared before you can say 'Residence Inn in New York is the worst hotel I ever stayed at'. The reason being this is cheap, but does the job very effectively, reliably and is ideal for hotel room stays. At the end of the week, I simply left it behind, (although it is light enough to pack) knowing that I can buy a new one next time and be just as satisfied. A five star product at a bargain price.

Proctor -Silex 1 Liter Electric Kettle