3,402 Reviews
 (2,107)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little water warmer
This is a nice little electric tea kettle. It requires that you heat at least 1 and 1/2 cups of water because of the submerged coil. I especially like the detachable cord.

Published on December 26, 2005 by J. Molzen

1.0 out of 5 stars Strong, "plastic" taste won't go away
Have used the Bodum electric kettle for travel for years, but decided I'd purchase this Proctor Silex for the office since it was a few bucks cheaper. That was a mistake.

Published on July 14, 2007 by Koa

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little water warmer, December 26, 2005
J. Molzen (New Jersey USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Proctor -Silex 1 Liter Electric Kettle (Kitchen)

My concerns are two fold. First, the sides do get hot. The handle remains cool, but I would not trust small children to be near it. Second, for the automatic shuttoff to work, the lid MUST be snapped closed. It will continue to boil if the lid is not completely closed (the instructions do state this). This is why I only gave it 4 stars.

It took me 7 minutes to boil (to auto-shutoff) a full pot (4 cups). The minimum (1 and 1/2 cups) took 2 min 50 sec.

It is supposed to be a 1000 watt heating element. Measuring it with a "Kill A Watt" meter, I found it actually used only 850-880 watts.

Update January 2013: After more than 7 years, this kettle is still in use boiling a single cup of water at my work approx 4 times per week. That is over 1000 uses. A few times the detachable cord was not in all the way, and when I turned it on, the on light did not turn on. Simply pushing it in fixed It. The heating element does appear to have some wear, as its got a few pitting marks. This is to be expected. Other than that there have been no problems. I would still rate it 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Electric Kettle, January 21, 2005
This review is from: Proctor -Silex 1 Liter Electric Kettle (Kitchen)
This Electric Kettle is quite simple without any frills. For the price, it does what it claims to do. It boils water quickly , the water level is easy to see and has the auto-shut off feature. I have used it reliably to boil water for tea, oatmeal etc. The water is quite hot, so use caution when pouring it out. The lid , can sometimes be hard to close & open.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faster & Hotter than Microwaving, June 15, 2006
This review is from: Proctor -Silex 1 Liter Electric Kettle (Kitchen)
I first became hooked on electric kettles when traveling in the U.K. and have kept putting off getting one. This is perfect for my six (O, heavens did I really say six!) cups of tea a day. Faster than the microwave (only because its actually boiled and hot) and no worrys about...did I leave the stove on as it has a brilliant auto shut-off. It even stays plenty warm enough to top off the first cup of tea. I love it, am only sorry it took this many years to indulge my self with such a simple product!

P.S -- Terrific on snowy days when the kids come in and want hot coco...FAST! (Makes one feel like SuperMom for the rare second or two!!! <g>)

UPDATE: This, my original PS electric kettle died a painful death last year following a power surge after eight great years. I bought another and am happy to report its just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent......, February 27, 2011
I have had this for over a year and it is still going strong! Let the pot stand with the lid open to air before use for about 24hrs to rid plastic smell.

5.0 out of 5 stars durable and fast, May 29, 2011
I have been using this product several times a day for the last two years and it just keeps going. The previous electric kettle I had was worn out after half the time. The product has an automatic shut-off feature, which makes it very convenient to fill the kettle, turn it on, and do something else in another room while the water's getting hot. An audible "click" from the shut-off feature indicates the water's done. My other kettle didn't have this feature and I basically stood next to it until the water was done heating.
I am so pleased with this product that I will buy another one whenever my current one breaks. However, there's no indication that will happen in the near future, which makes this product an even greater buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strong, "plastic" taste won't go away, July 14, 2007
This review is from: Proctor -Silex 1 Liter Electric Kettle (Kitchen)

Despite boiling and dumping out the water a half-dozen times, the water itself STILL tasted like "plastic." Ick. As a tea drinker, the quality of the water is key. Also, I found the general shape difficult to handle, the lid was hard to open, and when gently pouring the water it consistently (and dangerously) sloshed out the sides near the spout.

Anyway, I ended up giving this one away and buying an additional Bodum electric kettle for the office. It's working great, just like the 10-year-old Bodum I take traveling. (I think it's also interesting to note that the classic, no-frills, usable design of the Bodum has remain unchanged in the past 10 years - Hey, if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it.)

5.0 out of 5 stars All Around Great Product, January 15, 2007
This review is from: Proctor -Silex 1 Liter Electric Kettle (Kitchen)
if you've read a few complaints about how the water smells or tastes "plasticky", i found that it truly smell this way for about the first 10 boils of use, but no difference in taste that i can tell. after a while, the smell goes away. other than that, no problems. it boils a full liter or more in about 3-4 minutes with an automatic shut off which is handy. so far, seems like a great product. i've used this for about 6 months now with im sure over 200 cups of tea.

great deal, i recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, August 6, 2005
R. Peters (Wappingers Falls, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Proctor -Silex 1 Liter Electric Kettle (Kitchen)
I bought two of these. One for home and one for the office. Had them for about a month. Items work great. No longer have to worry about the water because it works as advertised and quickly. Just make sure you follow the instructions that came with it and you won't be disappointed. There was plastic smell the first couple of uses but has gone away for the most part. Also note that it has a three prong plug. Very pleased with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is okay if you don't mind your water tasting like plastic, August 22, 2008
This review is from: Proctor -Silex 1 Liter Electric Kettle (Kitchen)
This mini kettle makes your water taste like plastic. I'm not sure how the others have managed to drink from it. I've tried boiling it out a number of times, but the strong plastic scent and taste remain. That can't be good for you. Also, the cord is extremely short so expect you will need an extension unless you put it right next to the plug. Unfortunately, I will be returning this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and functional, but some design flaws, October 18, 2007
Silea (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Proctor -Silex 1 Liter Electric Kettle (Kitchen)
This little kettle boils a liter of water in a few minutes flat. That's great, it's what i paid for. Here are the less-than-critical reasons for which i deducted a star:

1) The cord: barely 2 feet long, this means that until i get an extension cord, i have to keep the kettle on the floor under my desk at work. That's a bit annoying.

2) The lid: while it clicked shut easily before i ever used it, after the first few boilings it now requires firm, direct pressure to shut completely. Less annoying than the cord, but still irksome.

3) The on/off switch: I like that it lights up when it's on, that's fantastic, but the lever-like form is placed exactly where one might expect a lever to open the top. I find myself clicking it trying to open the kettle quite frequently.

4) Steam vents: when pouring, steam sneaks out near the hinge of the lid. You'd have to have a strange pouring method to actually scald yourself by doing this, but the fine condensate along the top can get annoying as well, especially when trying to open the kettle.

So, all in all, fantastic and cheap. Just a few little troubles that Proctor Silex might consider addressing if they ever do a redesign.

Proctor -Silex 1 Liter Electric Kettle