5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Bike
This bike really answered my needs - 5 star for matching my expectations.

I have a 9 mile commute each way. I wanted a bike that will let me get to work and back faster than my car, not too sweaty and not too tired. This bike does it. It also looks like a bike and not a motorcycle and not dorky.

My main reason for not riding to work before was that...
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted it to work...
Published 14 months ago by Michael Lines

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Bike, April 10, 2013
Amazon Customer (Cambridge, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prodeco V3 Phantom X2 8 Speed Folding Electric Bicycle, Matte Black, 26-Inch/One Size (Sports)
This bike really answered my needs - 5 star for matching my expectations.

My main reason for not riding to work before was that you get there sweaty, it takes you extra time to put bike clothes then change to work clothes and you're not looking for the effort on some days. Then, you ride home, the wife hands you the kids while you're still gasping for air. The bike has a pretty strong engine (500W) which is actually enough to avoid paddling altogether if you wish to do so. You can paddle as hard as you want for exercise.

The bike is really fun to ride - an OK shock absorber and fat tires make the ride mostly smooth and the speed allows you to cruise past people which is fun too.

Pros:
* Really good build quality. Things are in the right place and work and look good.
* Rides nice - mountain-style build makes it easy for commuting over road bumps, pot holes and curbs.
* Value to cost - I expect to recover the cost of the bike in under 5 months of riding it.
* Faster than my car - at over 20mph on the bike I can beat my car by going through shorter routes and avoid traffic.
* Engine is super quiet - you can cycle past the riders in full gear and let them think you're on a regular bike
* Engine is not connected to the gear so you can be on any gear when starting from a full stop
* Really fast - Can go 20+ mph consistently on flats and very slight up-hill. On steeper hill drops to 10-12 mph without paddle.
* Can go 25 miles on full throttle on one charge (but barely)

Cons:
* Rear light (on battery) turns on when riding in the rain and takes some time to turn off (until battery dries up)
* Gear switch for back-wheel gear is on the left handle and feels opposite to what you expect. Takes a bit of getting used to
* Cannot install a rack in the back (Prodeco said they're planning on a new rack but haven't seen it yet). This means I'm forced to have a backpack.
* The handlebar is very curved. Any accessories you put on the bar tries to slide to the sides (away from the middle)
* Back break is not easy to align due to the engine placement behind it on the wheel.

Bike comes mostly ready after delivery but I had to tune the breaks as they either shifted in delivery or were not properly aligned.

Overall - while the bike is not perfect - it is perfect for the price. If you're commuting to work and want a car alternative without requiring full gym session each way then this is bike is a perfect solution for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality E-Bike at an affordable price., May 31, 2013
I am very happy with my Phantom X2 and have since sold my expensive road bike and dual-sport motorcycle because this E-Bike is a great combination of both. It still allows for exercise like a traditional bike but makes the ride so much more enjoyable not having to struggle with long steep hills and strong head winds so you can focus on the pure enjoyment of riding on two wheels. No gasoline, no noise and no exhaustion. You can adjust to whatever workout you want because YOU control how much assist you want.

The bike itself is very well built. The only issues I have had so far are a pedal that was sticking and the plastic rear strut spacers were cracked out of the box which seems like a design flaw. They should be made of metal as this is a high stress area. Both items were replaced promptly by Prodeco with no questions asked. I have since replaced the plastic strut spacers with metal ones to avoid failure again and hope Prodeco redesigns this area as well. The only other negative is that the brakes squeal pretty bad until broken in but they do stop very well.

Short battery range/life, dorky looks and ridiculously high prices were the main reasons preventing me from buying an E-Bike until now. This is the first production E-Bike in the US I have found that finally meets the criteria for reasonable price, great range, good looks and decent quality. The biggest surprise is how long a single battery charge lasts. I routinely get 45+ miles on a charge using generous amounts of E-assist in the rolling hills where I live. You can pretty much take range anxiety out of the equation for anyone who is willing to pedal along and that is a BIG deal. Pedal power REALLY extends the range of this bike and that is how an E-Bike should be used. The battery is for assist, not for completely powering the bike for extended distances. It is first and foremost still a bicycle, not a motorbike. It really is a perfect combination when you understand how to use it properly. Hopefully the life expectancy of the LiFePO4 battery comes close to the advertised 2000 cycles. Only time will tell on that.

Prodeco has a great product and I highly recommend the Phantom X2 V3 for anyone looking for an affordable QUALITY E-Bike being produced right here in the USA.

***Update 06-18-2013 - 500+ miles***
The bike still continues to perform beyond expectations. The brakes have quieted down substantially after break-in, the new controller housing/strut spacers have been fine. Still can get 45-50 miles on a charge but normally re-charge the battery at around 25-30 just so I don't run it down too far. 45 PSI seems to be the sweet spot for the tires and I adjusted the forks to be softer. I recommend installing an odometer so you can keep track of mileage for battery management. Just a cheapie off Amazon works fine.

***Update 07-30-2013 - 1000+ miles***
Now that I have had some serious seat time on this bike I can say that this has turned out to be one of the more enjoyable purchases I have ever made. It is truly a freedom machine that blends the best of modern technology with the age-old dream of every kid to be able to conquer the road on a bike without the dread of hills and headwinds. Knees in the breeze, wind in your face, effortlessly gliding through the countryside. My Phantom X2 has been rock solid since the initial out-of-box issues mentioned above. I have ridden on almost every kind of terrain with lots of back roads, hills, highways and trails and nothing has shaken loose, broken, malfunctioned or fallen off yet. The only thing I have done since the last update was true up the wheels as all bikes need from time-to-time.

***Update 09-25-2013 - 1500+ miles***
Still going strong. Battery life hasn't diminished at all. Everything seems to be actually running even smoother as all mechanical parts marry together from use. Shifting has gotten smoother, brakes still have a little "hiss" to them when stopping so I don't think these mechanical discs will ever be completely silent. Rear tire tread is starting to wear down in the middle. I used the folding mechanism more recently and it is a nice feature being able to put this bike in the back of a compact car without much hassle.

***Update 03-19-2014 - 2000 miles***
Just got the bike out from winter storage (and what a long cold winter it has been). I kept the battery charged to about 40% which is what the manual states for long term storage and in a 55 degree basement. Re-charged the battery and right back on the road again. No issues. Ready for another riding season.

I was at first wondering if this bike was too good to be true for the low price point but the miles have proven otherwise and the Phantom X2 delivers on all aspects of what an e-bike is all about and is still the best bang for the buck out there for a factory built e-bike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bike, but definitely heavy, June 16, 2013
This is a really great bike. Since getting it, I've only ended up using my car about once every two weeks or so, and that has started to decline further with the weather clearing up.

I ride this bike routinely on a 20-mile round trip to and from campus 10 miles away (from northern VA into DC). With additional pedaling I made it approximately 35 miles on a single charge. When I limit the pedaling a bit, I ran out around 27 miles. I've gone over 300 miles on it thus far, and have had no real problems. All I've had to do was tighten the bolt for the front wheel, and adjust the brake settings to alleviate some squeeking, otherwise everything has worked perfectly. I haven't even had to inflate the tires. While some may have complained in the past that there is no shock in the rear wheel, I think this was a good design decision. Depending on how rough your roads are, having a shock would allow for a great deal of momentum to go into an up-and-down motion rather than continuing to propel you forward. Yes, it would make the ride smoother, but it would also significantly reduce your battery life/distance. Along these lines, if you live in a hilly area, you will have to pedal some. While this bike has a nice amount of power for the flat lands, it will not send you flying up a steep hill without assistance. It will help significantly, but don't expect to never have to pedal.

I would give this bike 4.5 stars if possible. There are only a couple of reasons to reduce the rating, and depending on what you're doing these reasons may not matter to you at all. First, they say the bike is 57 pounds. I haven't weighed it personally, but this is definitely a heavy bike. I would not recommend it if you will need to carry it up and down a lot of stairs. If you're going up or down two or three stairs at a time, it's not a big deal, but if you have to go down 5+ stairs, you'll really feel the weight when the back tire comes off of the ground. This is not something that folding the bike down is really going to help with. Along those lines, folding the bike down is more difficult than you may think. While it only has a single hinge, it can be quite difficult as fully folding the bike will drop the front wheel about 6" lower than the back wheel. Again, this lifts the back wheel off of the ground, making you feel most of the weight of the bike, and in a very awkward position. My original intent in getting this bike was to be able to fold it in half and store it locked in my car. I own a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire (compact car). This bike will not fit in there. Even folded down, it is too large to fit in the trunk. It might fit in the passenger seat if I fully reclined it, but that isn't practical in the long run. If you have a newer car, this may not be an issue as the trunk openings have become significantly larger in recent years, but it is something to note.

While I may have gone on for a little while about these issues, they really are relatively slight. I live in a small apartment, and have found that with the folding pedals the bike can basically be flush up against a wall, taking little space inside. This means that I can store the bike indoors without issue, and don't have to worry about lugging the battery around separately to charge it. I've found that I never end up folding the bike down either. It may be a nice feature to have in a pinch, but it is definitely not used on a regular basis.

If you think you'll need to carry a lot of goods during your biking trips, there is some good news. Despite having the battery on a rear rack, I have enough room to add an additional rear rack with panniers above the battery. This does involve lifting the seat a little, but I have a 31" inseam and it is in a comfortable riding position while still having enough room without the second rack making contact with the battery. All in, this is a great bike and I would highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good bike, April 22, 2013
The only frawbacks are the weight of the bicycle,the height of the center bar, and battery use. However, the weight makes it a strong frame and that can be good. I am 5'10" and can barely stand over the center bar. This makes it a little difficult to mount/dismount. The power is what was expected but installoing and removing the battery has been somewhat difficult, and that needs to be improved. However, it is great to be able to remove the battery for charging, storing or replacing.
Every thing else is great and intelligently designed. Everyone who has seen it has been impressed by it's features. The bike is very comfortaable to ride once it is in motion. I have ridden other electric bikes, and none have the power or endurance that this one has. I am very glad that I have it, and expect to get a lot of use from it. A final note- the bike came well assembled and it was easy to complete the assembly, especially with all the included tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Regrets, October 18, 2013
I'm not a professional cyclist by any means. I just enjoy riding a bike. My problem is not only am I at least 60 lbs overweight, but I also have a random heart condition (afib, it's not immediately life threatening, but it does reduce my hearts ability to effectively pump blood at times), which makes exercise very frustrating. Because at any moment I can experience this condition (it comes and goes), I really can't go on long rides like I would like to. So I decided to look into e-bikes as a sort of crutch for cycling. The electric motor can not only build me up while I enjoy long rides, but it can also completely take over powering the bike if my atria decides to start fibrillating.

The bike is aggressive looking, it's powerful and fast enough to move all 230lbs of me to 19MPH with no pedaling. It is, however, very heavy- so lifting the bike or pedaling the bike with no motor assist is a chore (but it's doable for short distances). The bike does fold roughly in half and can fit into the back of my Nissan LEAF with the rear seats folded flat.

The package will come shipped LTL (Less Than Truck Load). It's well packed. The box it comes in is huge. The bike is 95% assembled. You'll have to mount the saddle (to your desired height), the handlebars (adjustable by height and tilt), and battery (it comes fully charged from the factory). Assembly takes less time than unboxing (did I mention it's well packed?). Even a clumsy fool like me can figure it out (I initially had the forks pointing in the wrong direction, but fixed it before tightening the handlebar stem).

This isn't just a WallyWorld $199 bike with an electric motor slapped on it. You are getting a quality product here with lots of high quality (name brand) components. With that said, I did find 4 screws were completely loose and needed to be tightened. Also, the rear brake needed adjustment as it was rubbing on the rotors while not engaged. Give the bike a once over first before taking it out.

Because this bike is so much fun, you will want to invest in a helmet and a front light (at least). You may also want to opt for a saddle suspension post, because while the front has OK suspension, the rear has nothing.

I have no buyers remorse. I hope to update this review as I discover more pros and cons of ownership.

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted it to work..., April 27, 2013
Let me start by saying that I researched ebikes for weeks before finally deciding on Prodeco, including having an email exchange with the Prodeco president. I was very excited when I received my ebike yesterday, only 4 days after ordering! While the box was banged up there was no visible damage to the bike and it went together very quickly. No problems with brake rotors as others have reported - only problem I saw was a cracked cable housing on the right hand brake lever however it still seemed to work normally.

Fast forward to today - charged the battery and was anxious to begin my first ride, a 13 mile circuit that I had planned using MapMyRide (another item I had been researching over the past few weeks). Let me state this this was a mix of paved (about 2/3s) and unpaved (about 1/3) roads. NO off-road, NO curbs, NO jumping, potholes or any other hazards. Well, the bottom line is that the battery mount broke at the weld I am guessing about half way through the ride. By the time I noticed the mount had been riding on the tire I guess for awhile and had just about worn through the bottom into the controller. When I pulled over to examine further it ended up shearing off completely.

Needless to say I am very disappointed and the bike is heading back - thank God for Amazon and their great return service. While I was asked about a replacement instead of a refund I'm afraid this experience has left a very bad taste and at this point I would be concerned about another failure far from home when someone was not around to come pick me up.

Why 2 stars? While this was certainly a 1 star experience I was impressed visually with the bike and the general fit and finish before this happened. However until the battery has a more sturdy mounting I just cannot see recommending it to anyone unless they do absolutely nothing but riding on smooth pavement. Based on the positive reviews of others I am chalking this up to a bad weld or bad luck, but I think I will be waiting awhile before I dip my toe back in to the ebike waters.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST AMAZON PURCHASE EVER!, May 14, 2013
Ok, so this bike isn't exactly a rough n' ready mountain bike, it's more along the line of a high-end commuter bike that could do as a mountain bike if need be but it's not designed to handle that kind of pressure. The best function for this bike is to get into shape, but the battery assist is there to help you up those steep hills. So far I have rode this bike twice, once on a 1 1/2 hour ride, and the next on a three hour ride. After being out of shape for a while, I must say I was impressed with the battery assist. It works much like a handlebar throttle on a motorcycle. You simply push the button in, grab the handle and twist your wrist down and away you go! Combining it with pedaling and you can get some SERIOUS SPEED going, especially down hill! And as far as battery life is concerned, with a rider contingent of me being nearly 300lbs, I got to say this was most impressive! I bet I can get at least 25 miles with only light pedaling which means this bike is PERFECT if you're thinking of doing your minor shopping! I'm getting a bike trailer connection with a good ice chest and will be able to do my shopping. Trips to the grocery store in a gas powered car will be a thing of the past and that means eventually this bike PAYS FOR ITSELF!

As far as assembly is concerned, right out of the box the bike is fine tuned and the battery was fully charged. Other than the pain in the butt packing tape and foam, there was some very MINOR assembly. I had to put the handlebars together. Simple. Remove the plastic cover on the top (sit on the bike and look directly at the handlebars) and remove that, get the allen wrench tool and get it tightened down and adjusted. Voila!

One thing bothers me though. You'd think a high end bike like this would come with a better seat. Instead you get one of those cheap hard ones that make you feel like you're sitting on a cactus. I had to go buy a new one for over 60$! A minor nag, I assure you, but bike companies by now should know better and they need to completely do away with these types of seats because people have suffered permanent injury from these hard things!

Other than those few minor gripes I am THRILLED! Getting back on a bike after a few years has been a shot in the arm! Having the wind in my face, the sun on my back, my heart going bananas, sweat pouring down my face is so exhilarating and fun! I'm just wondering where to get a new battery when this one wears out...

4.0 out of 5 stars good bike, August 14, 2013
i use this bike daily. so far ive put over 450 miles on it and have had it about 4 months. i weigh about 155 and am 5'2. down hill with peddling i was able to get it to about 30 mph. nice flat area was able to get it 22 mph. up hills depending on incline i go between 10 mph and 17mph. it helps tremendously uphills if youve been riding a while. for the most part i rarely use the peddles. But sometimes feel froggy and will use them. There is a slight drag from the motor so you can definenly feel the motor when you just peddle without assist from the motor. it was kinda tall for my short stature however i am still able to ride comfortably. if i have to stop i have to lean the bike over in order to touch the ground, not that big a deal. the balance was weird at first. it felt weird sometimes while riding in gravel there was a slight whip at the back end. i think its because of the collapsable center that it does that. i wish it was dual suspension. i try and avoid uneven terrain because of the heavy end it bounces farely hard. i have riden it off road and it does ok. what ive ended up doing is and i do not recomend for the non tinkerer is moving the battery to the bottom center. i did this and it has made for an overall better ride. i secured the front end of the battery with a CAT tourniquet and the used the original neck and bolts to secure to center pole. i lost some turning radius because the battery touches the forks with hard turns. This is ok because i dont make hard turns with it anyhow. i am going to get a seat post that has shock absorbers. they are about 20 to 40 bucks. I have gone about 23 miles straight on it with peddling and the battery read about 2/3 full. i averaged about 17mph. Overall this is a good bike for the price. i have dropped this bike a lot and it is still in good shape. i would highly recomend to anyone that does not like high gas prices and does not mind a little sun and sweat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, May 31, 2013
Why I purchased the bike:
I got this bike because I am 65 years old and weigh 220 pounds. I have arthritis and neuropathy in my legs so walking for exercise became a test of my ability to endure pain. I tried riding a bike, but found I no longer have the strength to ride one. I had hoped that this bike would give me the ability to ride and let me pedal when I could and just ride with the motor when the pain became too great.

How it arrived:
It arrived assembled and adjusted and ready to ride with the exception of the seat and the handle bars. It came with all the tools needed and a well written manual. I was on it and riding in less than 20 minutes.

The Power of the motor:
I was very impressed with the power of the motor. It reminded me of my dad giving me a push when I was first learning to ride a bike. It was more of a push than I was expecting. I only ride for 30 minutes to an hour so I have never come close to running the battery down. I have never gone over 5 or 6 miles at a time.

Hill Climbing
I took the bike to a nearby lake that has hills that are very steep. On three of them I had to walk the bike up the sections that were about 40 degrees. The bike is too heavy for me to walk up a steep hill, (I have heart problems too) but by slightly turning the throttle, I was able to have it pull me up the hill instead of me pushing it.

I love riding this bike:
For the first time in years I am able to get out and enjoy the outside. I can smell the flowers and I have had birds fly along beside me. I added a rear view mirror because with arthritis I can’t turn and look behind me very well and a bag on the handle bar to carry tools and a lock chain.

Some difficulty at first:
It took me a while to figure out the key. The battery must be all the way forward in the mount or the key won’t turn on. You have to push the key in to get it to turn as well. Once it turns from lock to off you have to stop pushing it in to get it to go to on. Once I figured that out it is simple to lock.

Folding the bike:
I have a Chevy Impala and when I went to the lake I folded the bike and put it in the trunk. I found it awkward to lift into the trunk and a little heavy for an old man with a bad back and heart. I did get it in the trunk though and a young person would not have found it that difficult. Once in the trunk I had to loosen the handle bar and turn it parallel to the front wheel because both the wheel and the handle bar were too tall for the trunk to close if they were standing up. Next time I will take my wife’s van.

It fulfilled my expectations:
I am thrilled to be able to go out and enjoy the outdoors without having to endure the pain that comes from walking. Now that I am old I treasure the simple pleasure of riding a bike. As a veteran, I appreciated that it is made in the USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your buck, June 8, 2013
I've known about e-bikes for a couple of years, but never had my interest piqued until I saw Specialized's offering at my local bike shop. The machine, while absolutely incredible, would be hard to justify under almost any circumstance at an MSPR of $5900 (and no dealer "wiggle room" on it). But after talking to the rep for an hour, my interest in the platform grew. I spent the next 2 months researching bikes, reading as much as I could and testing a few along the way. Everything from e-zip to Pedego were considered. The problem was finding a mix of components that I liked on a bike that was stylish and affordable. The motors were either too small (250W), but had great components, or too big (>500W) with sub-standard components. Then I found Prodeco on Amazon.

This bike, for the money, is the best of all the one's I looked at. I bought it based on reviews here and by vetting the company and it's website, but never physically laid eyes on one until delivery. Right off the bat, I was impressed with the packaging and ease of assembly. I was up and running in 20 minutes. One note, the seat post was very difficult to install, but I got it to go with a little wiggling. At 6'3", I was concerned that the frame would be too small. To be honest, it is. But, there are plenty of adjustments you can make to the bike to ride comfortably. The rep at Prodeco told me I'd be at the high end of their size recommendations, so I can't fault them, but it is something to think about if you're my height or taller. Still, raising the handlebars a bit and the seat at a high level made the bike tolerable for its purpose, which is 5 - 10 mile jaunts to the office and back, and a few errands otherwise. For that, it works for me.

I rode the bike about 10 miles today and couldn't believe it. Know that it's not a rocket, by any means. You're not going to twist the throttle from a stop and race through an intersection. That I knew, and you should too. Where it shines is on flat surfaces on full-throttle, no pedal action and while climbing hills with and pedaling. When Prodeco talks about 750W peak, they mean that if you pedal and use the direct-drive motor, you can achieve this. To put this in perspective, Lance Armstrong can put out 495 watts of "power" for 20 continuous minutes. This bike is giving you 500W, with just the motor, and up to 750 with a little help from your legs. The components are nicely done, mid-tier selections, and the fit and finish are fantastic. After my trip today, I still hadn't hit the halfway mark on the battery's built in meter, but YMMV.

All-in-all, I'm extremely impressed with this bike. I absolutely believe Prodeco's claims that the Phantom X2 is comparable to a $2900 bike, and from what I've seen, it MIGHT compete with the Specialized I mentioned earlier. But, it's going to cost you a 5th of the price and perform almost as good. A few complaints: the tires were way bigger than I was expecting (MTB-grade) instead of the non-tread grippers on the Specialized; the one-size-all framing; the brakes are mechanical instead of hydraulic, and they squeal; your storage options are also somewhat limited. I wish they'd incorporated a bike rack into the battery assembly as many of the Zips have; it's HEAVY, but I knew that as well; and finally, I would love for this to be a 48V battery instead of the 36-ish. Then this thing would really fly.

If you're thinking about an e-bike and can spend a few extra hundred over many entry-level bikes, you'll get a much better product on par with a bike twice as expensive. I could not be happier.

Rate and Discover Movies