Customer Discussions > Fifty Shades Darker forum

Product placement

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 25, 2012 6:08:13 PM PDT
I read the first book - it was readable. However, second book he buys her a iPad ... she then talks about it over and over and over. Anyone else think the author got paid for product placement?

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 2:05:34 PM PDT
not really....with all the delicious things going on in the story, I find it rather amusing that this is what jumped out at you! I don't mean this in a bad way, but just as an observation.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 8:51:45 AM PDT
Moryndia says:
It doesn't bother me really, after all everyone seems to have one. 1/4 of the people who read these books most likely read it on one. It is a whole lot easier to write iPad than tablet PC over and over and over again. Besides, in the first book he gives her a Mac computer. Those who are Mac fans always want to make sure the whole world knows they are and why. Yes, I am making generalizations and there are always exceptions to the Mac braggers.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 12:17:45 PM PDT
i thought the same thing with all the Audi's the guy owned and gave Ana as a gift!

Posted on May 25, 2012 4:10:16 AM PDT
ChibiNeko says:
I don't think it was product placement as much as it was just wish fulfillment and James trying to fit things in that she assumes people use constantly. The Fifty Shades trilogy is pretty obviously fantasywank, so throwing in items that you want to match the sex you wish you could have IRL (even though you know it doesn't work that way) is pretty standard.

Posted on May 29, 2012 12:59:53 PM PDT
Well the Audi references can very well be left over from when "Christian" was "Edward," as "Twilight"s sparkly male lead has a strong affinity for the brand. As far as the constant Apple product references, I'd have to chock it up to E.L. James' interpretation of the toys that rich people have. Apple is more of a luxury brand when it comes to electronics than say...Dell.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:32:06 AM PDT
Angela Dunn says:
What stood out to me, besides the Audi (the ipad didn't bug me as much) was CONVERSE. Was it necessary to specify everytime that each of them were wearing Converse?

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 9:49:15 AM PDT
denoak says:
So true about the converse! I know this thread isn't about taking on 50 shades, but they more I'm away from the book, the more it annoys me.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 12:33:02 PM PST
Shirley S says:
I did note a lot of product placement. Audi, with the statement that they do make the safest in their class, and she wore Louboutins, she mentioned that. It did annoy me a bit, but I guess she thought it added to the fantasy element--buy my love with a Saab, an Ipad, a Blackberry and some Louboutin stilettos.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fifty Shades Darker forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Mar 25, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fifty Shades Darker
Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James (Paperback - April 17, 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (11,401)