I got my copy of Pro ALM with VS2010 last week and really liked the book. Nice job.

Published on April 11, 2010 by B. Day

3.0 out of 5 stars Merely OK, depends on your Experience
Published on July 10, 2010 by Steve Cimino

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overview of the 2010 features. Quick read. Goes down easy., April 11, 2010
B. Day (Brookline, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional Application Lifecycle Management with Visual Studio 2010 (Paperback)

VS2010/TFS2010 is a huge new release and it was nice to have a comprehensive overview of the product in one place rather than scattered across 20 different blogs. Even though I've been working with the betas of Visual Studio 2010 and Team Foundation Server 2010 for months, there were still things that I'd missed. Plus, for the pieces/features that I already knew about, it was nice to read someone else's take.

It reads easy and it will give you a fast, efficient brain-dump for getting going with 2010.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Job covering a TON of stuff!!!, April 29, 2010
This is a pretty sweet book. There are a ton of features in Visual Studio 2010 and Team Foundation Server 2010. This book does a great job of covering all of them that are related to Application Lifecycle Management.

The book goes into enough detail to give you a good understanding of the feature they are covering. With the number of features covered to go into great detail would have made the book 5 times larger. I did not read any topic that did not have enough detail to give me a good understanding of the feature.

The book is broken down into 5 parts. Architect, Developer, Tester, Team Foundation Server, and Project/Process Management.

The book covers UML, using the Architecture Explorer, using Layer Diagrams, Unit Testing, Code Analysis and Code Metrics, Profi ling and Performance, Database Development/Testing/Deployment, IntelliTrace, Web Performance and Load Testing, Coded User Interface Testing, Lab Management, the Team Foundation Architecture, Version Control and Branching and Merging, Team Foundation Build, Reports, Portals, Dashboards, Workbooks, and Process Template Customizations. That is a ton of stuff!!!!

The authors have a good writing style that makes the book easy to read.

If you want to get to know Visual Studio 2010 and Team Foundation Server 2010, this is a great place to start!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overview of Visual Studio 2010 lifecycle tools, April 28, 2010
I lead a small software development team that has significant experience using Visual Studio. This book has been really helpful for moving to VS 2010 because it covers the complete breadth of the lifecycle tools available in VS 2010, which has been perfect for us to quickly ramp up on the new features, as well as the new (and sometimes subtle) improvements to existing features. While there are high-level explanations of lifecycle concepts (use case diagramming, unit testing, etc), the book focuses much more on practical usage of the features of VS.

I would highly recommend this book to software professionals who plan to use VS 2010 at some point. Even if you're not working in a team--or if your team hasn't standardized on using these features--you'll produce better software and save a lot of time by understanding how to use these tools.

I would not recommend this book to people looking to learn about programming basics or for a deep theoretical discussion about the software lifecycle. This book is squarely focused on practical usage for software professionals.

And if you don't like it, I will send you a check for $40.*

(* - checks will not be honored)

3.0 out of 5 stars Merely OK, depends on your Experience, July 10, 2010
First I want to say this isn't a bad book, and is nicely written with a decent flow. However, I don't believe I'm the audience it should be targeting. I picked this up since I became the "newly" appointed TFS2010 administrator to implement that throughout the development team. While this book does have a few chapters on it, it really wasn't much more than I can get by doing a Google search and reading free articles. That said, I know some people just like reading a book instead of surfing the web.

I have over 10 years experience in development, and have been working with VS since its 2002 release. While this book does hit the highlights, most of this was information that I have already experienced (Unit Testing, DB comparisons, architecture/UML drawings). Additionally, the authors focus on the VS2010 ULTIMATE edition. If yours is anything like my organization suffering a budget crunch, we don't have $10K per license to shell out for that. We're stuck with the more watered down versions of VS2010, so you can skip many of those chapters -- nearly a third of the book.

I would recommend this book to software developers in the .NET realm with 2 - 5 years of experience and to those who prefer reading an already laid out format decided by the authors. If this is your case, go for it. If you're like me then I'd take a pass and hit the Web.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent Book, May 10, 2010
Visual Studio 2010 is a huge release, and when you face more than 700 pages you probably get scared. This book is a nice ride over Microsoft ALM technologies, and even if it doesn't get too deep in some subjects, you still have a fine view about most of the tools in this version.
The book overall is an excellent general reference to Visual Studio 2010 ALM. I highly recommend this book as a general reference for Microsoft ALM technologies (from start to finish).

5.0 out of 5 stars Breadth Coverage is Great, June 14, 2010
S. Cicoria "..." (Denville, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
I have to reflect some of the other reviewers.

This book is great at providing a breadth of coverage of a topic and platform (VS 2010 / TFS 2010) that is quite wide.

While it does dive a bit deeper into some of the topics, it does however provide a great presentation of the many capabilities of what makes up the platform.

Some of the sections go into areas that "I didn't know it could do that" on topics. Great for team leads to get their breadth of understanding of what teams can/should be doing with the tools at hand. And great to breaking the ice on finding areas that you can later concentrate on or dive deeper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Resource for non-programmer types, February 13, 2011
This book was very helpful for me. I had no idea how to use TFS or what it was before my project assignment. The book needed detailed information and instruction on how to use and setup TFS for project management and tracebility (requirements through production implementation). The information in the book along with the MSDN community provided useful information on creating and managing TFS work items to support the project.
This is a good resource if you do not know anything about
TFS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive guide, June 27, 2010
Customers and clients have asked me for years, "Is there a book that covers all this?". To date, my response was, "Not really. Check out these blogs..." Well not anymore. This book offers a tremendous baseline of TFS/VS 2010 information. I buy it for all my clients-at the onset of any 2010 implementation. Sure, you'll need to consult other resources to drill deep on specific areas but this book delivers a well-thought and congruent overview.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Refernce for a Useful MS Tool for Dev Teams, November 6, 2012
MS Team Foundation Server is like many tools from Bills-Sw-Company-from-Seattle, the functionality is great, the interface is a little ugly and Confusing, and the Docs SUCK.
Between the clunky UI and process flows (it's obvious several different programmers wrote different components of TFS - without a holistic design that was fine-tuned) TFS can be hard to figure out - which is Risky and frustrating when your team is going 1,000MPH to crank a major new application out the door. TFS training vendors sometimes help, but many large organizations squander their training budgets on executive perks and bonuses so .... not everyone or every company gets the right training.

SO.... this book helps Alot with undestanding TFS and how it compares to Visual Source Safe, Serena/PVCS, Subversion, etc (altho it does NOT explicitly compare them in detail... which may be nice but not absolutely necessary, assumming the reader is an experienced developer). The key functions (code library management, change requests, requirements (stories or use-cases), test plans, defacts etc.) are described well, using sufficient screen-shot examples. Interfacing with MS-Build Manager was lightly covered, (or just did not "jump out" at me) so thats an area that could be improved. Ditto for MS-Test Manager (their automated test tool).

As so happens with books like this, IMHO there are some "intuitive" areas that are covered Too Long and Too Deeply, and some quirky areas (that are not documented AT ALL or very poorly by the online and printed Vendor docs) which were Not covered in practical, useful detail. Again - the point of 3rd party books is to Eclipse the vagueness and "missing" information so often offered in vendor delivered Online help (which is typically horrible) and printable (PDF) docs (too often just a collection of the crappy help text).

WROX *does much better* than the docs from Mister-Bills-Company, but IMHO in some areas (importing and exporting, management reports, and others) could have gone into More depth and more Practical "as used" details.

Still - this book is almost a necessity if you are using TFS and the training and docs you have received to-date have not met your expectations or requirements for Useful detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Overview of Visual Studio ALM Features & TFS, May 11, 2010
Ed Blankenship (Charleston, SC, USA) - See all my reviews
I seriously enjoyed this book. Here's my high level recommendation and you can read more a more extensive review on my blog.

My Recommendation

Hands down, get this book. I think it's well worth it. I know each of the authors and it really looks like they put a tremendous amount of effort into writing the book. The topics are really presented well and at the right level of detail for someone really wanting a crash course in all of the Visual Studio ALM features. I can't even tell you how many new nuggets of information that I ran across of things that I didn't even realize were in the product.

It certainly gets my stamp of approval! :) Kudos to the authors.

More extensive review available here at my blog: [...]

Very respectfully,

Ed Blankenship
Microsoft MVP of the Year, Visual Studio ALM and Team Foundation Server

Professional Application Lifecycle Management with Visual Studio 2010
Professional Application Lifecycle Management with Visual Studio 2010 by Ajoy Krishnamoorthy (Paperback - April 12, 2010)
$54.99 $41.50