5.0 out of 5 stars Best Baking Book Out There
Published on April 26, 2009 by Mark D Burgh

1.0 out of 5 stars Measurements in grams are incorrect
Required book for my culinary baking & pastry arts program. Unfortunately many of the metric measurements (grams) are incorrect! Since we weigh out most ingredients it caused a huge problem for our class. I would not recommend this book.
Published on May 23, 2011 by longtimeMacuser

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Baking Book Out There, April 26, 2009
This review is from: Professional Baking (Hardcover)
The new edition of Wayne Gisslen's Professional Baking is a make-over, and a good one. Obviously pointed towards the advanced amateur more than previous editions, Gisslen's book gives step-by-step instructions that never fail to produce good product. In older editions, the formulae were professionally scaled, making small batches difficult to produce but not impossible. The new edition starts with small batches, and then provides the large batches in the back. I have to say this new edition is an improvement, with big bright pictures, interesting and complex formulae, and down-to-earth instructions most people can handle. If you buy only one baking book, I think this should be the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The textbook for Le Cordon Bleu-USA pastry chef program..., June 28, 2010
This review is from: Professional Baking (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book. Many of the recipes are from original the Le Cordon Bleu (Paris)archives. I'm a grad of the Le Cordon Bleu-USA Baking and Pastry program, and this was our primary textbook.

A caveat for the home chef: This book is formatted for the professional pastry chef in that the majority of the recipes give the quantities for the ingredients in METRIC weight, as well as in "baker's percentages" - rather than by quantity (as in: cups/teaspoons/tablespoon/ozs.) - so you'll want to have a kitchen scale handy to make good use of this book, especially if you plan to use it at home.

Also: Le Cordon Bleu's version of "baker's percentages" differs from the version used in some of the Culinary Institute of America (a.k.a)the "C.I.A.")textbooks, AND the C.I.A. textbook also gives their weights U.S. "lbs./ozs.", rather than in metric. This was a surprise to me as well, and so I've learned to double-check...

(SHEESH!: Am I the only one old enough to remember back when the U.S. was supposed switch to metric like the whole rest of the world - or is it just me? ;-)

- The good news is that small kitchen scales are now easily available inexpensively online, in restaurant supply stores, and in some retail kitchenware stores. *Make sure you get one that can be set to metric weight (grams) and not only in lbs./ozs., or it'll make it much more difficult to use this excellent book, especially at home.

BTW: The other great thing about this book is that once you learn the basic principles, as well as the basic master recipes in this book, you can bake like a pro, and you too can have the pleasure of laughing your *whatever* off when "Iron"/"Top"/"Pro"/"Impossible", etc. "savory" chefs on TV cooking shows and contests freak out or cry like babies at the prospect of having to bake a cake or make a simple dessert like a pastry chef - or even like your grandma...

So hey you "pro" TV chef-type guys BobbyMikeyAnthony, and that other guy who didn't cook for the Queen of England after all: How about some props and respect to us pastry chefs - AND to your grandma!

4.0 out of 5 stars Baking for dummies, March 20, 2011
This review is from: Professional Baking, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
I was excited to see that this book was cheaper than what they were offering at my school. I looked at the reviews for the book and I can understand the very few negative reviews that was written for this book. First one I read was from the person that lived in K zoo Michigan we are most likely in the same program and I understand frustrations there, baking is not for everybody doesn't mean you have to take it out on the book though. The next review I read was about having to flip back and forth for larger quantity I believe is what the person was trying to complain about key word: trying, how hard is it to turn pages? lazy,lazy, lazy it's a shame when we can only complain about mundane things am I right? The couple of last ones I read was on not receiving the book itself, so I cannot really say anything about those except there is no 24th month or 20th month for that matter, my guess is that was too far away for U.S. shipping standards. This book was very helpful to me in my culinary class and I found many great recipes. It was easy to read and use. The historical significance in the beginning was actually pretty interesting. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the pursuit of a career in baking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Measurements in grams are incorrect, May 23, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended even for hobby bakers, October 29, 2010
This review is from: Professional Baking (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book!
I would recommend this to anyone who likes to bake. Just reading the first few chapters about the techniques, ingredients, the process of baking and so on, really helps you understand what you are doing and why. It helped me get my recipes down to perfection and you will be able to figure out what went wrong if something does.
The software that comes with it needs some updating, it seems like it was made for Windows 3, but the book is excellent!

4.0 out of 5 stars good reference, September 17, 2009
This review is from: Professional Baking (Hardcover)
I am a Culinary student and bought this book for a class. Very informative and I'm sure I'll use it for reference often in the future. Probably not the best for a home cook, unless very advanced. I personally love Sherry Yard's "Secrets of Baking".

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a Must Baking Textbook, September 27, 2010
This review is from: Professional Baking (Hardcover)
This book is awesome if you want to know or learn how to bake or become a professional baker.
It explains everything from history of baking, equipments, ingredients, baking measurement until baking popular baked products.
Sometimes, you may find it a little bit different from the real baking world, it depends on what or where you learn from like recipes or formalas.
The baker's percentage may be a little difficult to understand.
So, this book is overall recommended and a must to start becoming a professional baker.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great treasure, April 8, 2010
This review is from: Professional Baking (Hardcover)
I teach pastry making and this is the one book I turn to first when I need to make a new product. 95% of the times the product will come out pretty much the way it's supposed to. Having this book by my side is like having the entirety of the Le Cordon Bleu knowledge about French pastries at my disposal. What a fantastic resource! I have the study guide on kindle but I really wish this book would be made available on kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best baking books out there., August 12, 2008
Carlos H. Rios (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional Baking (Hardcover)
Although Im not a pastry chef or baker, I purchase this book to help me with doughs on my menu. The recipe layout is a bit awkward and it takes some time to get used to it but the recipes really work. One thing I want to mention is that the recipes are not standarized meaning they are not the classic version of the recipes. They are ment to be used in a formal instruction course but once you master them, they can be modified to make them a bit more classical and if you will, more ethnic. The book was shipped in good condition with no corners bended alhtough the jacket had a sort of grease on it, I usually get rid of the jacket. I think it may be Amazon handling on it but once the jacket is gone, the book looks great.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, May 1, 2011
This review is from: Professional Baking (Hardcover)
This is an outstanding book on baking, for the Professional as well for the home baker, recipe are scale for the home baker and larger batch.

Professional Baking, 5th Edition
Professional Baking, 5th Edition by Wayne Gisslen (Hardcover - May 6, 2008)
Used & New from: $5.95