on January 1, 2011
Verified Purchase
Pros: Excellent poker chips. They look/feel very professional and are well made. Way better then any other chips in the same price range. Cons: Cards are very cheap, but they always are in sets like these. The case could be a little better built but it does its job just fine.
on January 1, 2010
Verified Purchase
Very nice quality chips, was a present and they enjoyed them and thought the pattern was great. Quick shipping. No issues.
on January 23, 2015
Verified Purchase
I'll write this review with as much detail as possible to help others who are considering this item. I'll start by saying:
---all my comments are in perspective of the price point of these, which for me was 55 bucks shipped
---these are MID-RANGE chips - they are better than chips at the retail stores but NOT Professional/Vegas quality
---my friends and I really like these chips
---I bought these to replace non-denomination Cardinal poker chips from Walmart
---I did a lot of research on various chip types and prices

The POKER CHIP details:
---these are composite chips with a metal core
---there is a vinyl sticker in middle with the denomination on it
---the chips are a good weight at 11.5g - they are heavy enough to feel substantial
---the denominations are easy to read at a glance from across the table
---the chips have "good-enough" friction - they are sticky enough to handle easily but not super-sticky
---the chips stack pretty well and do not topple on their own
---the chips feel good in your hand - we play with them a lot while mulling over next moves - clinking, rubbing, etc.
---the chips have a decent sound - there's a subtle 'clink' when dropping them on top of each other
---the 'clink' is due to the metal core but it's less clinky than other composite metal core chips I've heard
---when opening everything up for the first time I spent an hour unwrapping the chips
---when opening everything up for the first time I easily cleaned off the few rough-edged chips with my fingernail
---when opening everything up for the first time a few chips were stuck together but easily separated

The CASE details:
---the case quality is fair overall - mine had small rips in the felt at the top hinge but it's not obvious
---the top foam was attached by static electricity (seriously) so I used a glue stick to mount it there permanently
---there was a small dent on the top front corner but it does not affect functionality and it's not obvious
---the insert that holds the chips is a felt-like material and is decent quality
---the latches are solid and close well
---the locks and keys are sub-par quality and I would not recommend using them
---the handle itself is solid but the part of the case where it's attached to bows slightly when you carry it around
---I use the case for storage and transport but I handle it carefully as it's "just sturdy enough" and not super-sturdy

The OTHER details:
---the decks of cards are very slippery/flimsy, which is typical at this price point - replace them with Bicycle/Bee
---the dice are semi-transparent red with white pips and I'd rate the pip paint quality as decent
---the dice have a worn feel and are not slippery
---the dice are 18mm which is a bit larger than standard dice
---overall the dice quality is decent but you can find much better dice elsewhere on Amazon
---the buttons and cut cards are decent quality - the buttons look slightly worn but it does not affect functionality

Comments on overall quality of the set:
---when you buy this you should get a "good" set - everything works but maybe has a few scuffs/scratches
---after using this for a few weeks I bought a second set, but that set had a malformed foam insert
---I returned the second set immediately and at no cost and ordered a third - the third set came in good shape
---the manufacturer does not have great quality assurance checking before shipping these out
---if you get a "no good" set do not hesitate to return it and order another, as I did
---returning it is free and it's worth it to get a good set at this price point

Final summary:
---we like these chips and use them for replacement currency in board games and they work very well for that
---the set is a bit fiddly out of the box but if you can get through that it's worth it in my opinion
---this is NOT a Professional/Vegas quality set so don't expect that, but it's a great set for amateur/home players
---for more info on various kinds of poker chips Google for 'Board Games with Scott Poker Chips' for a 26 min video

I hope this helps you in your buying decision. Happy poker playing/blackjack playing/board gaming! :)
on August 13, 2011
Verified Purchase
My fiancé ordered 10 of these poker sets as groomsmen gifts. Of the 10, 3 were messed up. Because they were shipped with the chips, decks, dice, and buttons already inside, the insert that holds all the items was severely messed up in two of the three cases. In addition, two of the three cases were messed up on the outside-one was bowed out and the other didn't close. We do not know for sure if this was a result of shipping or if they were faulty before shipment.
********
Should this happen to you, know that Amazon will only refund your money; they won't send a replacement. If you try contacting the manufacturer, you HAVE to do so in 2 days of receipt. We did not know this, and found out we were stuck with them.
********
We were able to find on Amazon the exact same case for sell, so we just bought 3 new cases and transferred the items over. Actually, the case that is sold separately has a much nicer, more durable insert than the one included in this set. However, the included case and insert are good enough to do their job of holding items.

I think all of the guys will really enjoying using this poker set!
on October 23, 2011
Verified Purchase
This item was exactly what I needed to fuel my habit. I love gambling, but I love winning money more when I see how much my chips are worth. This really lets you stick it to your friends who are having trouble eating because they lose so much to you. I wish I could have bought this sooner, there is nothing better than watching your friends desperately try to sell you their baby for just another hand. Boy those babies are DELISH!

On a side note, the chips seem in good condition, and I think that if you replace the decks with nice bicycle decks it would be better, but all the pieces seem just what you need, I'm sure when your friends get drunk they will lose them, but you have a lot, and unless you plan to open a casino it should be fine. I saw a lot of people complain about the case before I bought it, and I think that it's decent for what you are buying. I wouldn't store the codes to a nuke in it, but it works fine for storage. DON'T try to lock it, I almost broke the key off, and although you have two, I doubt people are going to want that bad to get into it. If you are looking to play games with you friends over a buck or two, or just cookies, I think this is a great way to go about it (I do it for who takes shots). It's also cheaper than any other you will find out there with the money printed on it, etc.
on January 31, 2011
Verified Purchase
Good: Quality chips, good denominations. No issues.
Bad: Case insert falling apart upon arrival. Plastic pieces fell out when I first opened it, had to repair by using packaging tape to reinforce the insert.
Overall: Not sure how the case insert could be in such bad shape. I decided to purchase this item due to the rating, but this product has the same case insert defects as posted on other sets.
on October 13, 2014
Verified Purchase
The chips are great. I love the inlaid denomination stickers as well. A lot of other reviews have knocked the case but I think it's fine for the price point. The latches work well, the hinges are sturdy and everything lines up nicely. The big weak point in this set are the cards. They are pretty much the worst playing cards I've ever seen. That being said, I had my own casino cards anyway so no big deal.

Pros:
Chips are fantastic
Case is actually not that bad

Cons:
Playing cards are terrible
Dice are so-so
on October 16, 2013
Verified Purchase
The poker chips seem to be of pretty decent quality. The rest of the items especially the case seem to be very cheap. The case came banged up and doesn't close well. The inside seems to be a cheap plastic about as good as a Solo cup. The inside also came banged up and had tears in the plastic. I would be skeptical to carry the case by the handle with the condition it is in.
Verified Purchase
I bought this set mainly because the dollar amount listed on the chips felt like a novel way to track worth when playing. I didn't have high expectations for $50, but I did at least want the set to not be a joke.

-Scratches on half the chips, which all look heavily aged.
-A few missing chips but not a big deal, but they were all packaged by color despite the obvious age and damage within the chips. Felt very refurbished and I'm being generous with the word "refurbished".
-Suitcase was dented on several angels, with bent Clasps. Once opened, the ENTIRE cushioning of the suitcase immediately fell off. Lining apparently wasn't worth attaching to the case itself, might as well have used old newspapers.
-The chips are the main reason to buy a poker set, but they were heavily discolored and did not feel genuine when being used.
-I rarely use dice but they were also damaged, scratched, and the dots weren't painted on properly. My 6-dotted side dice showed 5 1/2.
-I had zero expectations for the quality of the cards and I at least was satisfied here that the cards are indeed of poor quality.
-Dealer, Big/Small Chips were all heavily damaged and stained.

Overall this purchase felt like a very second-rate product with no satisfying aspects to it whatsoever. I WOULD want to say that this set is cheap, if I didn't make a purchase several years ago when the economy was Great for only $9.99 for 300 11.5g chips of stellar quality at a Retail Store.

I would have paid 3x more for a perfect set if I had known that this purchase would yield such a horrible experience.

The second Star is only present because I was very impressed with the delivery date. From across the US in a single day when given 3 days. Too bad it was for a product that I am extremely unsatisfied with.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2015
Verified Purchase
Pretty happy with these. A few labels were askew but easily fixed. We have used them for a couple of months almost daily with no chipping. I would recommend.

See 1 answered question