Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on August 7, 2011
if this product were sold as a "novice seamstress form," i would not be so harsh in criticizing it. this product photographs very well and in pictures it looks pretty nice, for the price. i was thrown off by the so-called "yamata" brand which appears nowhere on the box it comes in. i figured it was japanese and held up to more rigorous standards than a cheapie american form that you get off the rack in JoAnn Craft Stores (singer brand). as soon as i lifted the box i knew i was in trouble--waaay too light! it wobbles and spins as you attempt to drape. but most disappointing is that there is no cushion between the fabric cover and the plastic body. you cannot insert pins into this form...so how then is anyone supposed to drape on it? you have to insert pins sideways, nearly parallel to the fabric--not professional at all. i would've returned it, but how much would i be out with my shipping it back? let's see: the $20 delivery charge and the $20 to ship it back--40% of the product price!! if you are fine with these flaws, then go ahead and buy this, but at your local store--at least you're supporting local commerce that way and reducing environmental impact having it shipped to you.
review image
44 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2010
This dress form was probably the fastest thing I ever assembled. It was really easy and didn't require any tools. It came with two adjuster keys, so you've got an extra in case you lose one. Adjusting it is very simple and quick. I also like the color of its pin-able surface. Being a soft gray, fabric stands out a lot more than if it was solid white or black because white and black are the colors of material I use the most. Out of 10 I would say its "sturdiness" is about a six or seven, but for the price the quality is much better than I expected and I couldn't possibly give it less than five stars for that reason. Makes sewing a LOT easier. ^_^
on September 12, 2011
I ordered this dress form to help fit clothes for myself. The tool needed to adjust the measurements of the form was missing, and the knob used to adjust the neck snapped right off immediately, straight out of the box. I've written the selling company asking for them to send me the adjustment tool, and have yet to hear back. I would return it, but I live overseas and don't want to waste more money. I've taped the neck back together, and my husband found something in his tool box that could work as a temporary adjustment tool. Also, the stand is VERY wobbly. My advice is to spend the extra $75+ to get a nicer dress form. It looks like this one won't last too long.
on July 24, 2012
I would give this 4 and 1/2 stars (but that isn't an option, so I chose 4). My only critique is that if you have odd measurements this dress form will not work for you. I will try to explain what I mean by this. To adjust for my measurements (37, 26, 39), the dress form would pop out of adjustment at the waist when trying to adjust the hips larger, eg. I have to settle on my dress form measurements to be 37, 28, 39 -or 37, 26, 38 depending on what I am working on. If you are not exactly an hourglass, don't expect the waist to adjust or hips to adjust accordingly. Besides this slight problem, I love this item. It is very light weight and the form swivels on the base making it easy to work on a hem. The material covering is easy enough to pin things to and there is nothing better than a dress form when it comes to "trying" things on...no more poking myself with pins. This is not a super heavy duty dress form, so don't plan to use it with something that weighs a ton; with that being said, it works just fine for everything that I have used it for.
on April 10, 2011
I has not help me really in getting me around the fitting part of my sewing. Yes it adjusts to various measurements but the contours of the body are not right . . . you have to work a lot to have it resemble your body type. If i would of known this, i would not have purchased this item.
on August 2, 2013
I bought this dress form from Joann's, as a Singer brand,but this model. I will be returning it. There is no adjustment for back waist length and I have a longer back waist than most patterns and than this form. Also, because the hip adjustment is so low, the waist adjustment must coordinate with the hip adjustment. So, not allowing for individual measurement adjustments. That would be ok as I will have to add padding to my waist anyway, but still very limiting. Obviously, it needs a stuffed bra to make it more realistic to a woman's body shape. The shoulders are too narrow, no allowance for sleeve fitting. It uses tiny keys to make the adjustments. I can foresee myself losing the keys. It was inconvenient to try and see the small hole the key goes in to turn the dial. Just too much trouble.

On the plus side, the base is sturdier than I expected.

Now, just have to decide if I want to get the Singer model with rotating dials or a Dritz.
on December 12, 2012
i have not worked with many dress forms, so i don't have a whole lot to compare this to, but for what i need, this works well. it is easily adjusted to different sizes and heights. do understand that even though people have the same measurements, they can still be built differently. so, even thought i set this to my measurements, i still have to do a try on to make sure everything hits at the right spots on me. my only complaint is how easily the base comes off. i lift it by the main pole, even without twisting, and the base just falls right off. obviously this only creates a problem when i'm moving it, and putting it back together isn't too hard. just slightly annoying.
on March 22, 2013
Not too long after purchasing it, it broke. The base was not the same as what was shown in the picture and the quality was not what I expected.
on April 22, 2012
The mannequin came in just a couple of days in great condition. I bought this as a gift for my sister and she uses it every day! The company that I bought it from were excellent and made me feel that customer service is their priority. The mannequin works great and it adjustable for height/width measurements. All of the dresses she has created on it since she got it look amazing and well-fitted.
on October 17, 2010
I have been sewing for years and never had one of these dress forms. It makes a huge difference! Love it.

See 1 answered question