4.0 out of 5 stars Very in-depth, but terse and code heavy
This is a well written and illustrated book that guides you through the entire Hibernate O/R mapping landscape. The chapters are short. The text is fairly terse. And the author relies heavily on code to do the talking. It's fine if you like learning that way. For those who want a gentler approach I would recommend Manning's Hibernate in Action.
Published on November 20, 2004 by Jack D. Herrington

1.0 out of 5 stars Unprofessional Hibernate
I'd actually give this book 0 stars if I could.

Published on January 28, 2005 by Daniel Kirkdorffer

1.0 out of 5 stars Unprofessional Hibernate, January 28, 2005
This review is from: Professional Hibernate (Paperback)
I'd actually give this book 0 stars if I could.

I have never purchased such a bad technical book in 16 years of spending my money on these things. This book is full of coding errors, explanation errors, and typographical errors. The authors fail to point out very important information needed to get their examples working. The downloadable examples are organized in folders for the wrong chapters. The examples don't work when applied to configurations described in the text. The litany of problems goes on and on.

The fact the book mentions no technical reviewers should have tipped me off.

The supporting Web page at Wrox has no errata entries, even though the book has hundreds of mistakes. The forum on the book is dead. If you want to post errata you have to register, and then when you do it rejects your login. Perhaps that accounts for no errata.

I'd say the authors have no interest in maintaining such a list themselves, or else have moved on to other hobbies. As a Java developer I'd strongly recommend anyone contemplating this book moves on and buys another book instead. I'd recommend the book by Will Iverson ("Hibernate : A J2EE Developer's Guide") or "Hibernate in Action" by Christian Bauer, Gavin King instead.

The only positive thing I could say for the book is that it will force you do a lot of hunting down of answers to help you get through all the problems that working through their examples will give you. Having to fix a problem is often the best way to understand the details of a tool, API, or issue. But as a way of learning a technology I'd not recommend it. Most developers have enough of such frustrations in their day to day job to deal with already.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible ! Do the authors know JAVA ?, December 13, 2004
This review is from: Professional Hibernate (Paperback)
I fully agree with the other reviewers. Unfortunately, I bought the book before I checked the comments out here.

This is a book which does appear to be good - lots of code examples and all that. But it all comes to naught when the code is fraught with errors. And such terrible errors that I wonder whether the authors know Java at all.

Here is a code snippet they have used to illustarte binary data being saved in Hibernate:

public class Someclass {

this.blob = b;

}

...

}

Now I ask you - is this code ever going to compile ? If binary data setting was so easy, we wouldnt have so many web-sites dealing with how to save Blobs into the database.

There are typos and code errors galore. My advice - stay away from this book !

I hear "Hibernate in Action" is much better and it has been well reviewed by folks at theserverside.com. So I should think that that should be a better option.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mistakes galore and nothing to offer over the docs, November 27, 2004
Andles (Perth, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional Hibernate (Paperback)
There are way too many mistakes in this book - technical and grammatical. When reading this book I was learning nothing more than what I had learned the day before, using the hibernate docs. Tell a lie, I did learn a little about Aspectj, Maven and a whole bunch of other things I had no interest in - about a third of this already skinny book had barely anything to do with Hibernate.

Ask yourself this before buying this book - do you trust the authors, java programmers, that believe a String object is a primitive? That think 'void'declared methods will return an Object? That think you use the syntax 'O' to pass arguments and not (). That believe there is a collection class called 'list' and not List? That think that ......... well, you get my point. Most of the code in this book would NOT compile and has clearly not been tested. Many of the msitakes are not one-off glitches, but are persisted throughout the book - it is really really anoyying!

Do what I did, print out the hibernate docs. Dont do the other thing I did, buy this book. My next try will be 'Hibernate In Action' - not sure yet if its any good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good thing my company paid for this..., January 28, 2005
This review is from: Professional Hibernate (Paperback)
Well plain and simple folks... those who gave more than 1 star were PAID to give this book a rate it didn't deserve.

How bad it is, you would ask. Well let us say reaching page 7 I had to go to Amazon to see what other people say about this book. For a moment I thought I had lost 100% of my programming IQ for drinking too much tea. I cannot continue a page more. That is how bad it is. I think the authors are .net programmers and were just asked to write a book on hibernate.

If you really really hate someone, recommend this book. But if you value your hard earned money, stay away from this one. Don't let the Editorial Reviews misguide you. I think the "editors" never actually read it.

Listen to us; we poor people who actually bought and read Professional Hibernate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Laughably bad, May 10, 2005
This review is from: Professional Hibernate (Paperback)
Full of typos (they could at least have done a search-and-replace of "Hibemate"). Lots of filler (viz. the chapters on things like the DAO pattern).

Definitely not worth it.

The Manning book remains the standard for in-depth coverage, while the O'Reilly programmer's notebook does the trick for the quick-and-dirty introduction. Skip the rest.

1.0 out of 5 stars A really bad book - do not buy, October 19, 2005
Thomas O. Lianza (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional Hibernate (Paperback)
I'm a fan of a lot of Wrox books - I probably own 15-20 of them. This is the wost one I have ever bought.

When learning a new technology with a book, I like to start with an overview, then some simple examples. I read the chapters that cover those start to finish. I then selectively read other parts of the book where I need more detailed knowledge, and save the rest of the book for reference on an as-needed basis. This book was laid out (if you simply look at the Table of Contents) as if I could do that - so I bought it.

The introduction was ok. I've used some object-relational tools before and I wasn't quite sure why Hibernate was special or different. The key thing that it took me WAY too long to figure out was that with Hibernate you're thinking Java-centric and are persisting objects to a database, whereas with other tools you're thinking database-centric and generating a layer of Java objects to access that database. I had to read an awful lot to figure that out.

As others have said, this book is FULL of typos. Among my favorites is the one on page 20 where they introduce the SessionFactory and in the huge diagram they call it "SessionFactor." Glaring and disappointing, but technically it doesn't hinder the learning process (aside from being distracting). On page 28 they give an example where they basically say (paraphrasing) "lets pretend you have a server with an IP address of 192.168.1.55 and a user named 'readwrite'..." they then show the hibernate configuration file right after it and the server's address is 'localhost' and the username is 'sa'. In the following sentence they say to replace localhost with your actual server address, apparently having forgotten all about the 192.168.1.55 address that they started the paragraph with. Awful, and now potentially confusing to people.

Where I really gave up all hope on this book was the first example where they took a program and gave it the ability to persist data with Hibernate. First off, a good demo program should be DEAD simple, so you focus your time reading the code that has to change (Hibernate-related), rather than reading all the code that has to run the demo. Their demo code literally runs from page 33-38, and uses a Swing UI. 5 pages of code for the example, only a small fraction of which the reader should really be focusing on. Now the WORST part. They say that they're going to take this program and step through how to make it persist ("That is the goal of the remainder of this section" they say). The problem is - the example code *already has* all of the hibernate code in it. They go on to step through how to take an example and make it work for hibernate, but never showed you the code BEFORE hibernate was in it.

At this point, after a little more browsing around, I gave up on this book. I should have read the Amazon reviews first. Do yourself a favor and buy a different book based on what the other reviewers have read - that's what I'm going to do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst tech manual on Hibernate to date:, November 8, 2005
This review is from: Professional Hibernate (Paperback)
If I were the publisher I'd have this book yanked. What an embarrassment. This book gives a very basic understanding of Hibernate and leaves all of the important details out.

Perfect example: at the bottom page 205

We'll discuss each of the joins in detail....

Chapter ends on page 206. Hardly any information whatsoever on a topic that is key to using a database.

For the love of God please take this joke off the shelves. I've never felt so cheated on a tech book in my life. I want my money back!

1.0 out of 5 stars ZERO STARS. Did this book have an editor?, February 19, 2006
Aaron Gibson (Silicon Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional Hibernate (Paperback)
Total waste of money. As I started reading it, I started to notice coding mistakes everywhere. I thought I was just misunderstanding the topic but then it became clear that these are really mistakes! It is obvious that the code examples were never compiled and tested! Just incredible. Hibernate isn't an easy topic when first encountered, but even a Struts code example has a glaring error!

Any book with code examples should have zero errors in the code - we have had the technology to compile and test every code example in a text since K&R's C book and the Software Tools books in the late 70s. Typically you'll find maybe one typo or error in the prose per chapter in a decent book. I stopped counting and marking within two hours of reading in this book.

This book should be pulled by the publisher and everyone who bought a copy should be offered a written apology and their money back. My copy went out in the weekly paper recycling - I can't afford the chance that any of my engineers might borrow it from my office. I can't imagine how the authors would have put their names on this, let alone their photographs on the front cover.

I confess that I will probably never buy a book from WROX publishers again.

1.0 out of 5 stars (Un)Professional Hibernate ?!, November 1, 2004
Hello Hibernate community!

Having heard much about the benefits to use Hibernate 2.x (now even being considered to deliver the EJB3 persistence layer), I wanted to learn how to apply this technology for my company's mission critical Java applications. Therefore, the title Professional Hibernate (Programmer to Programmer) sounds appropriate.

But unfortunately, the book is missing the goal to tell you how to use Hibernate to access RDBs in a professional way.

Real programmer's problems are not discussed in a way leading to working Java/Hibernate programs in a professional environment, at least not when using MS SQL Server 2000. Even worse, the demo code associated to the book just leads to many runtime exceptions. (The system architecture around CDTest.java helps you to learn how NOT to design it for multiuser access!)

After a nasty week and weekend, I'd now like to recommend to all Amazon customers to buy the book "Hibernate in Action", instead. This book has lead me to a deep understanding of the issues to develop missing critical applications using the indeed cool RDB wrapper Hibernate - and the code just works!

Dirk V. Schesmer

Stuttgart/Germany

1.0 out of 5 stars don't waste your money for this book..., December 8, 2004
This review is from: Professional Hibernate (Paperback)
this is an easy read book... but with the number of typo and errors in code... you really have to consult the reference manual from time to time...

e.g. in chapter4, page 74, it explains hilo generator that relies on the table hibernate_unique_key with column next_hi but the book says it relies on hibernate-unique-key with column next-value... how inaccurate is this?

this is just another bad example of wrox book... it's unfinished book as far as i'm concerned...

Professional Hibernate
Professional Hibernate by Eric Pugh (Paperback - October 8, 2004)
$39.99 $23.26