5.0 out of 5 stars One important feature you won't find anywhere else
Published on December 10, 2011 by MariaSmiles

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid but expensive
I have used Oral-B electric toothbrush for over 10 years. At a first glance, not much has changed. Other than orange pressure and improved battery/charging indicators, it feels and looks largely the same as predecessors.

Published on September 7, 2010 by NutMac

5.0 out of 5 stars One important feature you won't find anywhere else, December 10, 2011
This review is from: Oral-B Professional Healthy Clean + Gum Care Precision 3000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush 1 Count (Health and Beauty)
I have read the research and know, firsthand, the benefits of an electric toothbrush over a manual toothbrush. I prefer the oral-b / braun non-sonic over the sonic models. I am a big fan of this style of toothbrush & have owned them for almost two decades. I have owned 5 different models of oral b electric toothbrushes, in that time, (they are very durable and have lasted me many years) and this one is my favorite. The main reason I like it over all the others (from the $20 model to the wireless $200 model/pack) is that this one has a "brake light" which illuminates when you put too much pressure on your gums. Before using this toothbrush, I was a vigorous brusher, it just felt good to "get all up in there", but often, that is unnecessary and can even be harmful. I buy the "extra sensitive" heads/tips to mediate this, but I still tended to brush harder than needed, especially when I'm not "paying attention". Even though the other models had an "indicator" (different vibration or noise or icon), it wasn't really enough to get my attention so I didn't reduce the pressure.

When I first got this model, I was annoyed by the light - it's *really* bright, especially in a darker bathroom or shower stall. (I have a cool LED color-change light in my bathroom). But, the "brake light" was able to get my attention when i brushed too hard and after a week or so, I was brushing with a more healthy pressure and the light now only goes on every once in a while.

They say gum recession cannot be reversed and my hygienist told me that it is often caused by hard brushing. This toothbrush with its "brake light" feature, can be a great tool to help you save your gums & your teeth, and in turn, your health & well-being!

PS: if you like good oral care, clean teeth, & healthy gums, check out the oral breeze (here on amazon). I use the shower breeze model and have had consistently better reports from my hygienist since using this model of toothbrush and the shower breeze.

I rely on reviews to inform me of great products and help me make informed buying decisions, I hope this review helped you in the same manner :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective Mid-range Electric Toothbrush, August 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I also own an Oral-B Pulsonic and a Philips Sonicare HealthyWhite so I am familiar with and used to using an electric toothbrush. Newcomers will probably have an adjustment period but the transitions isn't that hard. The Oral-B 3000 is a definite step up from a manual toothbrush and falls between my other two brushes. It is more like a dentist's cleaning brush than the other two and it employs a purely a physical cleaning methodology while the other two brushes rely on sonic technology. The 3000 is a bit more effective than the Pulsonic but the latter is more of a travel toothbrush. Comparatively, the Pulsonic is weaker and the user is instructed to brush as well as let the sonic action take place. The Philips Sonicare HealthyWhite is more powerful than either and the user is just supposed to move it over the surface of the teeth rather than exert force when brushing. I find it to be the most effective.

The Oral-B 3000 is a good brush and it gets my teeth "squeaky clean". It has good power and a lot of movement of the bristles on the head. If you prefer a longer bristled head as opposed to a round one, then this brush is not for you. But it is very effective in any case. You have to apply more pressure and move the brush more than with a pure sonic brush, but it works. There are 3 cleaning mode and I find the first to be the best. The second is a "gentle" cycle and the third oscillates between slow and fast. Every 30 seconds you get a remind to clean a different tooth area and at two minutes you get a 3 pulse reminder that you've done enough brushing. Battery life is good and the brush comes with an initial charge to let you brush once before having to re-charge. The base is rather large with a section for 4 brush heads so it takes up a bit of space on your countertop. The overall brush design is decent but middle of the road quality-wise. It feels more plasticy than my other two electric toothbrushes. The contrasty blue and white colors seem more suited to a kid's brush, as does the red light that flashes when you press too hard. A neat feature I suppose, if a bit gimmicky.

I like the Oral-B 3000 but at its current price point think there may be better options. You could do worse, but you could also do better.

Update: 09/03/2010 - This has become my go-to brush for a good clean. I like my sonic ones, but this one is more "fun", though that is hard to quantify. And it does a good job of cleaning. The charge lasts a while too. Some other things I've noticed is that it takes more work to clean than my other power brushes. Not terrible, but a bit more time. Also, it is loud. I don't find it annoying, but if you don't want to wake someone in the next room while doing your teeth, you probably will want to close the bathroom door.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, September 20, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been an Oral-B electric toothbrush user for the last 15 years. I have written Amazon reviews for Oral-B products dating back to 2002. I have had very few dental issues in this time although, in fairness, I must also report that I began daily flossing during this time as well, and that may be just as important.

This new model is a definite step up from the ancient "Plak Control Plus" model that I had been using. It's full name is "Professional Care 3000" and it definitely feels and sounds like a professional dental instrument. The head oscillates at a much higher rate than my old one. Please note that this is not an ultrasonic toothbrush. Cleaning is accomplished here purely by mechanical brushing action. The small, rotating brush head and slender handle allow you to get at and clean each surface of each tooth very quickly.

The 3000 offers three modes of operation which are available by successive presses of the on/off button. The first is "Daily Clean" which is what you are most likely to use on a regular basis. The second is "Sensitive" which reduces the head speed for sensitive areas or for those with sensitive teeth. The third is "Whitening" which is an odd repetitive increase/decrease of speed for "Exceptional whitening for occasional or everyday use."

The instructions that come with the 3000 recommend that you brush for 2 minutes - no less and no more. To assist you with this, once you turn the brush on it will pulse twice every 30 seconds. If you use each interval to clean one quadrant of your mouth, you'll be done in the recommended 2 minutes at which time the brush will pulse 4 times. To turn the brush off from any mode, just press and hold the on/off button.

Built into the 3000 is a "Hard Brushing Alert" which is an LED on the handle that lights up if you are pressing too hard. Brushing is most effective when the brush is pressed lightly against the teeth. Pressing too hard not only is less effective but will cause your brush heads to break down too quickly. The instructions say that the LED is, "Helping protect your teeth and gums from hard brushing," so apparently there's a dental health issue here as well. The brush is very powerful, so it's not difficult to see how too much pressure would be destructive to the surfaces of your teeth.

The brush comes with a charging stand and covered storage tray that can accommodate 4 brush heads. The storage tray is dishwasher-safe, the charging stand is not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oral-B 3000 vs 5000, April 13, 2013
I have the 5000 series Oral-B and bought the 3000 series for my wife after comparing the two models. If you are trying to figure out which of the Oral-Bs provides the best value I would recommend the 3000 series. The main difference between the two models that was important to us was the 30 second indicator that lets you know to move to the next "quadrant" of teeth to clean as described by Oral-B. With the 5000 series you're looking at a separate LCD monitor to know when to move. With the 3000 series the toothbrush itself shakes after 30 seconds to let you know to move on. Considering the massive price difference we went with the 3000 series and are glad we did. The 3000 series stalk is also thinner and smaller so it is easier to handle. When my 5000 series dies I will replace it with a 3000 series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid but expensive, September 7, 2010
NutMac "NutMac" (Mountain View, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

This new 3000 series packaging replaces older Oral-B Professional Care Deluxe Electric Toothbrush - with improved charging base design, which lies flat, easier to clean, and sturdier to boot. This newly designed base may slow down yucky mildew developing on the bottom of the base, but I suspect mildews will still develop around the brush mount.

My wife has Oral-B Professional Care SmartSeries 5000 Rechargeable Toothbrush, which oddly enough, costs about the same.

My findings after using it for 2 weeks:

- The battery needed charging after 10 days. Pretty impressive. Unfortunately, it seems to take forever to charge. Green charging indicator light is still blinking after overnight charging. I solely miss 5000's battery life indicator.
- Oral-B claims it will naturally whitens teeth in 3 weeks. I drink coffee daily and I have a week to go, and my teeth aren't any whiter.
- My teeth feels great and clean though.
- Compared to my 3-year old Oral-B, there's significantly more vibration and strength (the company claims 40,000 pulsations and 8,800 oscillation per minute).
- Brushing mode is triggered by a single button. I prefer more distinct toggle switch with 4 positions (off, daily clean, sensitive, and polish).
- 5000 has a "deep clean" mode that is rated to remove up to 99.7% of the plaque (compared to 3000's "daily clean" mode that can remove up to 97%).
- Orange pressure indicator does light up if I put too much pressure against my teeth. But the indicator isn't always obvious. I would prefer audio feedback or 5000's separate wireless indicator unit.
- The build quality seems have degraded over the years. My last Oral-B died after 9 months, needing a battery replacement. Ever since then, it just felt clunkier. This new model remains to be seen, but it doesn't seem any sturdier. Thankfully, included is 2-year warranty.
- 3000 is designed for kids and adults 4 years or older. Just for some kicks, I have tried it briefly on my 21 week son. It's too big and he didn't like it at all.

Included in the package is just 1 precision clean brush, which is fairly effective at brushing hard to reach places. Oral-B sells several other brushes, such as pro white (for better polish) and floss action. The base can hold 4 brushes.

In the end, 3000 is a great brush, as great as its predecessors were. But it is expensive, about the same as 5000 that has additional brush cleaning mode and better indicators (with wireless unit to boot).

5.0 out of 5 stars Why won't this thing turn off? Oh... I'm an idiot., November 1, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First things first. Read the manual. Or at least this review. Otherwise you will think you are crazy.

The obvious comparison here is the Sonicare which I am quite versed in. I owned a Sonicare for years until its inevitable demise two months ago. I went to purchase the same/similar model here on Amazon: Philips Sonicare Essence HX5752 Power Toothbrush . Upon receiving the new model not much had changed, or at least nothing I noticed on first glance. Upon using it, it lacks the power of one I previously owned, is LOUD and rattles, does not brush as well and still suffers from the gross out factor of the Sonicare E series (seriously how hard is it to change the model so it doesn't get all your saliva/toothpaste/tartar stuck inside?). Unfortunately, the quality or quality control of the Sonicare had dropped significantly.

Then came this little beauty, the Oral-b 3000. First, it does not suffer from the gross out cup that the Sonicare E series does. Score one! The toothbrush head is easier to put on than the twist on/twist off Sonicare. Score two! It includes the mandatory (to me) 30 second "stutter" that reminds you to switch to the next quadrant of your mouth. Tie! It is much quieter than the newer Sonicare brush I own. Score three! Is lighter than the Sonicare. Score four! And most importantly, it gets my teeth a bit slicker (cleaner) than the new Sonicare. We have a winner!

However, in my cockiness (or the fact that I felt that I had enough experience with a simple electric toothbrush that I didn't need to read a manual) the Oral-b made me go nuts. The first time I brushed I probably went for a good four minutes before I realized this thing doesn't shut itself off after two minutes like the Sonicare. Instead it does a long "stutter" to let you know two minutes is up. While extremely confused at first, I found I was happier. I started a new routine. After the two minutes is up I now spend a little extra time on my "problem areas." You know, where the hygienist is always scraping away. So, after I learned to shut it off, I kept thinking the stupid button was broken. I would hit the power button and the toothbrush kept going. Hit it again... still going. Third time was a charm. A little glimpse at the (short) manual and I could have saved myself from going nuts for a good couple weeks. All you need to do is hold down the power button for more than a second and it shuts down. A quick tap of the power button and the toothbrush just switches modes (sensitive and whitening are the other modes).

I'll blame my ignorance on the fact that I am not a morning person, and therefore will not read a manual in the morning, and usually brush my teeth before I climb in bed too late and blurry-eyed. Neither of which are the fault of Oral-b.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as Clean as Sonicare But Much Easier on Gums. Too Pricey for What it Does, Though, August 29, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have SLE and sjogren's (another autoimmune disease that has pretty much destroyed my salivary glands). I do not have enough spit in my mouth, which leaves my gums fragile and my teeth prone to cavities - even in the front. My dentist is great and is working with me to save my teeth and gums, but I have to stay on top of things.

I have been using a sonicare for a couple of years. It does a great job cleaning my teeth. The sonic waves sort of pummel out the junk between my teeth and loosen it up even places that the toothbrush cannot physically go. However, that brush brutalizes my gums and the sonic action sprays stuff everywhere - my sink and mirror look like a crime scene after I brush. The Oral-b 3000 cleans physically only - no sonic stuff, so it only gets the stuff the bristles can get to. That amounts to teeth that are slightly less clean in spots than what I get from the other brush. However, my gums barely bleed at all when I use this on the sensitive setting.

If your main concern is gum disease, and you're a good flosser, I would recommend this over the sonicare, because you'll be able to massage your gumline without damaging good tissue. Press the start button twice for the sensitive setting, and you're good to go.

I deducted one star for the price point. I think a brush this expensive ought to include sonic technology. Sonicare has the essence for $40 less than today's price for the oral-b 3000, but if you need a decent brush that will not hurt your gums, this is probably worth the added expense. I give it an 8.5. It cleans better than the lower-priced oral-b products - almost as well as the sonicare. The sensitive setting is a really nice feature for people like me with fragile gums. And replacement heads are affordable - much less expensive than the sonicare.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much functionality, November 20, 2011
J. M. Nelson (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
An electric brush was recommended by my dentist and hygienist to help reduce staining. Clearly they got the source of the stain wrong, and I'm not so sure about the brush.

My research led to the purchase of the Oral-B 3000.

Oral-B and Sonicare seem the brushes of choice, and my research gave Oral-B a slight edge, though I'm reconsidering. Reading reviews also gave the Oral-B floss action brush head a slight edge, and I'm inclined to agree; though it certainly doesn't replace regular flossing, so far it seems to be keeping the staining abated.

The Oral-B 3000 has three modes; from a physicist's perspective, there seems no significant difference, and I doubt that any objective research could find any either. Primarily, the mode switch is a source of frustration, for the brush can not be shut off without going through all three modes. As for their differences, the second mode is slightly, but hardly significantly, slower, and the third mode apparently moves from the first to the second in an unending cycle of speeding up and slowing down. This seems more of a sales gimmick than demonstrably efficacious functionality.

I see no significant difference between the 1000 and the 3000 except that the 3000 is more frustrating to use because of the toggle switch.

In hindsight, would definitely prefer the Oral-B 1000.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oscillating vs Vibrating ~, August 16, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
((Note: this appears to be the same product as: Oral-B Professional Care 3000 Electric Toothbrush, 1 Count which is actually listed with the list price of $96, but available for a lower price currently).

Compared side by side vs Philips Sonicare HX6711/02 HealthyWhite 710 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush.

I would say that both models are exceptionally good. The difference depends in what you are looking for in an electric toothbrush. The main difference would really be personal preference. I will reveal my choice at the end of this review.

---------------------

First difference: the oscillation of Oral B vs the vibration of the Sonicare. Dentists are split on these. Most will recommend whatever they conveniently have on hand to sell at full retail price while they have you captive in the chair. Oscillating heads tend to be better for gums, vibrating heads are all around good. If you have sensitive gums, then the oscillating head will probably be the best choice. Especially if the brush has speed settings. Also it seems that the oscillating heads are better at cleaning teeth while the sonic vibrating seems to polish and lighten better. These are marginal though, just a slight difference.
*Tie

A bonus with the Oral B is the three speed setting. You can put a slower setting on to hit gums with a gentler oscillation. There is also a 'whitening' setting, which polished the tooth more, but is a bit aggressive on gums. Having the ability to select a speed setting is really a plus.
*Advantage: Oral B

The Oral B has one of my favorite features, a sensitivity warning. Granted, this is a light up function, so you need to be brushing in front of a mirror to really get a good view of it. But this is a feature to tell you when you are applying too much pressure, which is oddly enough, a common mistake by most folks. The Sonicare model in this comparison does not have a sensitivity warning feature.
*Advantage: Oral B

The Sonicare has a quadrant 'pause' feature to let you know when you have sufficiently brushed one corner of your mouth. It is a 30 second timer. There is also a two minute timer which shuts off the brush when you should have sufficiently brushed. But if you are like me, you often go over the two minutes, so I would usually turn the brush back on and hit my tongue and a quick once over the gums again. It's not an important feature unless you tend to hurry through your brushing. But it's nice to have something to tell you when you've passed the recommended minimum brushing time.
*Advantage: Sonicare

Replacement brush heads are a pain. Amazon does have the subscribe and save, so you don't have to remember. But both brushes have the blue indicator. I typically go about a month or so between heads. Depending on the model you have, the replacement costs are similar. The Oral B costs $20 for 3 replacement heads (Amazon.com at time of writing). The Sonicare goes for $35 for 2 standard (old models), $25 for 3 compact (newer models) at time of writing. The Sonicare in this comparison has the compact heads. Though cost might fluctuate.
*Advantage: Oral B (slightly)

Cleanliness of actual unit is important. Both of these models are fairly neat. The older Sonicare brushes had a terrible design where mold would form under the brush head area in the cavity where the magnet is. It was a pain to clean and would require a Q-tip most of the time. I would even disassemble and air dry the unit periodically with little result. Luckily both of these units have a more water tight design and don't seem to have this issue.
*Advantage: Tie

Counter space is important, and surprisingly the Oral B wins. It appears to have a bigger base, but you can take the round portion off and just use that on the counter. The Sonicare just has the one stand, which is compact, but without the ability to expand to a larger whole brushing area if you want. The bigger base of the Oral B is for holding spare brush heads. The Sonicare has a separate container for those.
*Advantage: Oral B (slightly)

Battery life is great for both units. I only plug them in once every other week or so. Both have an indicator to tell you when battery is getting low. They both also light up when actively charging, and dim when charging is complete.
*Advantage: Tie

Price is really the only difference. Since these units are built to last for many years (my previous Sonicare lasted 4+ years). I am not sure of the longevity of the new models, but I trust both brands in that respect. But the Oral B is currently $20 higher. But if you look at some of the extra features, such as the three speed setting and the sensitivity warning, then the price might be justifiable.
*Advantage: Tie (higher price Oral B with more features, great value for Sonicare).

---------------------

In the end I stuck with the Oral B. I really do like the speed settings and the oscillation feels like it is really cleaning around my teeth and getting in the grooves nicely. My gums have seemed healthier since switching as well. If you look at the cost over time, a rechargeable toothbrush makes a lot of sense. They are far superior to manual brushes in every regard. The only drawback is price. Even replacement heads are more than most manual toothbrushes. But dentists seem to all say that an electric toothbrush is far better than manual brushing.

If you are investing in a model for the long haul, I think the Oral B might have the edge, though slightly. I would really say these are both 5 star models in the end. Personal preference will determine in the end.

Oral-B Professional Healthy Clean + Sensitive Gum Care Precision 3000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
$96
Pros:
Oscillating round head
Speed settings
Pressure warning
Inexpensive brush replacements
Compact charging stand with optional larger base incl.
Cons:
More expensive

Philips Sonicare HX6711/02 HealthyWhite 710 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
$77
Pros:
Sonic vibrating head
QUadrant timer and 2 minute finish timer
Compact charging stand
Ease of use
Inexpensive brush replacements
Value price vs other high end models
Cons:
No speed selection
No pressure warning

---------------------

UPDATE: (12/30/12)
Still working perfectly. I haven't even changed the brush head yet, it still works great, but I might put the new one on soon.

Cleaning is MUCH easier than the Sonicare. The Sonicare used to get gunk in the open area underneath the head screw on area. With the Oral B design (which I think Sonicare now resembles), the head comes off without taking the bigger base part off, so no more open chamber to fill with water and mildew underneath. Taking the head off is easy and then you can wipe the area where it connects to the base to get old gunk off. I really like the ease of cleaning this. The old Sonicare is recycling now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Oral-B and Periodontal Disease!, March 28, 2012
Mykers (Fullerton, Ca) - See all my reviews
Hello All,

I figured I would finally rate the Oral-B Professional Care 3000 electric toothbrush now. I have been using this unit for three months and feel I can accurately rate my experience with using this product.

First, I have previously used Phillips Sonicare Flex Care R910. This electric toothbrush was great. I have nothing bad to say about Sonicare. My only gripe was the replacements are a bit on the pricy side. Moving on, I decided to replace the Sonicare (gave to my wife) with the Oral-B 3000. My reasoning was the dentist recommended this brush due to my on-going fight with periodontal disease.

I was like most of you, obsessive about reviewing a product before I buy in hopes of making sure I am getting the best product while keeping finances in line. Specifically, the dentist said, he has recommended this toothbrush because of the small head and the functionality of the sensitive setting.

As an owner of both, I find them similar in a sense, that they are both out (the toothbrushes of course) to perform the same job. The Sonicare did its job just fine. However, the Sonicare seemed to be a little harder on my gums (even on the sensitive setting), so hence the switch. Furthermore, Sonicare is a great toothbrush, I think when it comes down to preference, and it's more or less the same with a few personal caveats.

Onto the Oral-B. This brush has performed great. The small head actually makes cleaning my teeth easier (remember my periodontal disease) so I don't bleed as much. The sensitive setting works just the like Sonicare and I really see no difference other than the size of the head. Plus, the replacement brushes are much less expensive which was an easy sell for me.

The tooth brush is prone to developing gunk on the inside of the brush (if you had/have one you know what I mean). I find this very easy to clean out with a Q-tip. Although, it's tough to get into all the nook and crannies, I seem to make it work. Plus, I always rinse the brush afterwards with hot water.

The battery life appears to be great. I usually charge it every 9-10 days which great compared to my Sonicare of 5-6 days. The vibration and strength is great the company claims (40,000 pulsations and 8,800 oscillations per minute). The actual brushing is triggered by a single button which has 4 settings: daily clean, sensitive, polish, and "off".

The toothbrush also has a pressure indicator that lights up orange when you appear to be pressing too hard while brushing which is a big help for me in my situation. The build quality seems good to me. I have dropped this toothbrush three times over the span of three months and the electric toothbrush survived without any visual damage or cracks.

The charging does take quite some time until it is fully charged. However, if you are like me, I brush three times a day, and usually place the unit on its charge at night. Therefore, the brush has hours of charging before its next use. One minor gripe is as opposed to the Sonicare, the vibrations are REALLY STRONG. This may be a positive to some, but it does tend to vibrate your head at first. Which I must admit, was a slight burden when I first started using this unit. Once you use this toothbrush for quite some time, you get used to the vibrations and now I don't even really notice it.

In closing, I like this toothbrush. I gave it four stars because while I think it's great, there is nothing that says WOW, this is the best product ever I have ever had; let's face it, it's a toothbrush right? Plus, I feel time will tell if this is a five star product (which I intend to review later down the road). Both the Oral-B and the Sonicare, have their difference. But for me what it comes down to is what my dentist recommends based on my prognosis of periodontal disease. I do recommend this product, and I hope that most enjoy it as much as I do.

And remember, I do NOT feel Phillips Sonicare is a bad toothbrush. I feel they are both on par with each other. You can't go wrong either way.