1,445 Reviews

Published on August 13, 2012 by Gudloki

3.0 out of 5 stars Radio's good; Cable? Works fine with XP
Published on May 3, 2012 by Nils Young

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast shipping, and cable works BUT, August 13, 2012
This review is from: USB Programming Cable for Baofeng UV-5R UV-3R+ Two way Radio With Driver CD (Electronics)
Placed an order and was quickly informed there was a stocking issue and a resolution date, and within a week the product shipped and received on the day they stated. Very pleased I was informed of the problem before I started wondering what happened. After I got the cable I plugged it into the computer and attempted to use the software that came with it but was unable due to file errors on the CD. No problem as there are plenty of other options available for free (legally) that I had intended on using anyway. I ended up using the software called CHIRP, use your favorite search engine and search "CHIRP radio programming" ensure you download the daily builds as the stable doesn't include support for the UV-5R. Last issue is the driver, there are some sources of chips in these cables that need an older revision of the driver to function. I was able to install the driver off the CD. However if you cant for whatever reason then you need to find <Win7Vista_64bit_prolificUSB_V3200(DOT)exe> and use that driver instead of the one that is auto-installed.

Another source of information is the y**oo group baofeng_uv5r

For Linux:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:dansmith/chirp-snapshots
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chirp-daily

make sure you have read/write privileges to the USB port too
chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0

Then run as su
sudo chirpw

If you have the UV-5R, get this cable...your fingers and sanity will thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS CABLE DOES WORK WITH WINDOWS 7 X64, April 19, 2013
This cable works great...(even though its probably a knock off from china) With a little bit of searching Google you will find that this cable uses a chipset that prolific has decided to blacklist along with any updates of there newest drivers. So the driver that you have to use in order for your Windows 7 64 bit OS to recognize it is the Win7Vista_64bit_ProlificUSB_v3200.exe driver, do a quick Google search and you will find it just as easily as I did. Read the rest of this web page for more info on the install [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Radio's good; Cable? Works fine with XP, May 3, 2012
Nils Young (Medway, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I lost my Icom T2H somewhere between the grill & the garage during last summer's storm & wind season. Looked all over and then looked at replacing it. Very expensive loss. Not wanting to spend >$130 on a radio I might lose again, I wandered the web until I found the Baofeng UV-5R. Read a bunch of the snarky reviews, looked at the price and dove. Ordered it on Amazon through Sain. No problem. Less than a week later the radio was in my paws.

The Baofeng UV-5R is a great radio. Weather channels, police channels, 2m & 70m FM & a FM broadcast receiver. At something like $70 it was a good deal. (The manual, for want of a better term, is way below minimal. I had to cruise the Web for that info too.) So, price &c considered, I'm happy with the radio. It'll cover my storm fretting needs & maybe even survive Hamvention.

The software & cable, on the other hand, are a bit of a stretch. First off, according to one source (on the Wouxun.us [importer] website), the cable uses a Chinese fake of a Prolific chip. If you let Windows7 find the driver, it will discover the fake chip & disable the port it's hosed up to.

The CD that came with it appears to have data on it but my computer says it's blank or needs formatted. Nope. That ain't gonna work. (Tried it in another W7 machine & no go. Might work in a XP but mine has no CD hole.) Downloading the software from Wouxun is fine. Got the version for my machine & installed it. But then there's that W7 fake chip checker.

All that being said, and after taking a week off for Dayton Hamvention, I have revised this review as follows:

The cable will work with an XP machine. The software will install on either W7 or XP but the cable, for reasons listed above, will not work on an W7 computer.

The software is a bit clunky. The screen prompts are like the ESL voice prompts on the radio. English? Yes, but you know it ain't like Ma & Pa talk. You have to enter each frequency one at a time. No block copy & paste. There are start up defaults that you can mess with in the Option Features drop-down under the Edit menu. Took me over an hour & some of fiddlin' to get it set up & enter all 98 channels that I am set to use now (which is just about everything from 145.110 to 147.570 MHz). So yeah, it works. I can program the radio. (Be sure to use the radio's RESET ALL before you try to load from your computer.) And I can add PL & CTCSS data to the software's table & all that.

So the radio's still great. I like it plenty. And once I got it goin', the cable/software were good too. I'm happy now. We're cool. But it still bothers me that the cable won't work with W7 (without messin' with the drivers).

Thus the upgrade to three stars. (I'd go for 3.5 'cept there's no half a star increment)

1.0 out of 5 stars would not work no matter what I did, May 21, 2013
I am computer savvy and this thing either has a bad chip in it, or I got a bad one. Others say it works great, but I had zero success communicating with the UV-5R radio. I tried windows XP, windows 7 (64 bit) and Vista (64 bit). I installed the correct drivers! The computer sees the chip and appears to talk to it, but the chip wont talk to the radio. Perhaps its a broken wire or something. I know some of these have fake prolific chips, and I know that you have to trim the plastic off of the edge to make it properly fit all the way into the radio. Been there, done that. Just got a bad one I guess.

I did not bother trying to return it cuz it was cheap. I have had no prob with the seller at all, its not their fault, I just got a bad one and didn't think it worth sending back.

Just fyi, I got a different one with a FTDI genuine chip set and it works on all of my PC's with no fiddling around, first time out of the box.

3.0 out of 5 stars Possible counterfeit chipset, January 12, 2013
N. Lee "Firesaint" (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Edited by Me: This cable just did not work. I have tried multiple drivers and all the tricks listed on various websites. The chipset appears to be the issue. The manufacturer has actually discontinued this chipset due to Chinese counterfeits that flooded the market. They have even gone as far as to have the Windows OS update disable their driver on devices with the counterfeit chipset, forcing users to use an outdated driver- IF they can get it to work. I finally used the tester program from the chip manufacturer and it appears to be a counterfeit controller chip.

That being said, after spending 4 hours yesterday trying to get it to work I went to bed a bit peeved. Today, on a whim, I tried to install this item on another computer running the exact same OS. Now, it works.

It forced me to speed up my timetable to update my laptop to Win8. It now also works on the original computer, but only with a specific driver set for my UV5RA. Apparently, the UV5RA is a bit more finicky than earlier editions. I have the 295 software version. If you run into the same issues do a search for universal radio UV5RA. I gave it a 3 rating because it is still a pain in the rear due to the drivers. The software they send has very bad instructions and are outdated. The newer drivers and installation software work for Software version 291 and higher.

-73's

5.0 out of 5 stars Software is in a state of change This will help you, February 17, 2013
Apparently there is on-going development with the programming software for the Baofeng handheld. It is a superb radio for the price,
and does everything they says it does. However, using the keypad to program your radio gets old fast, and you need to do it on a PC. This cable works
fine, but you may have problems with the software supplied on the disk, as I did. Install the driver that is on the disk and then download the program called CHIRP. I'm assuming it is an acronym for CHINESE-INTERFACE-RADIO-PROGRAM.

It is updated every few days, and you will find it here: [...]

Download this file: chirp-daily-20130216-installer.exe The date string (20130216) may be different because it is newer, but you get the point.

Follow the user interface instructions. You have to make sure you tell it the right com port. Control panel will show which one it is AFTER you plug the cable in. Look on this site for other valuable downloads... like a full well written manual.

JP

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great and safely!, November 1, 2012
Louis (Kissimmee, FL) - See all my reviews
First off, I've had no problems with this cable as other cables are having in reviews on Amazon. This cable does not heat up or pose a fire hazard. It is worth the extra dollar to get a safe product!

Honestly, I did not use the mini-CD that came with the cable. I downloaded the proper driver for this clone from a Yahoo group.

This cable only gets 4 stars, because I had to "trim" some of the housing away with a razor, to properly fit my BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, More Stubborn Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 the Latest Version). Why they don't just make the housing thinner, I have no idea.

But, it connects and works perfectly with my radio. ^_^

1.0 out of 5 stars BAD SOFTWARE!, February 1, 2013
The enclosed software did not work function once loaded in the computer. The disk looks like a boot leg copy from a orginal
disk from Baofeng.
I did not return the item because the cost to return would cost more then the cost I paid for the item it self I can down load a copy that would work better but rathered liked a disk with the cable.

Baofeng should check license sellers to see if they are selling copies or selling originals software.
So I give a big one star due to a non working disk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Driver problems, questionnable chipset, April 26, 2013
There are a lot of aftermarket USB cables for programming radios. Some of them are knock-offs of knock-offs - essentially pirated versions of legitimate aftermarket cables. The chipset used in several legitimate aftermarket cables is made by a company called "Prolific" in Taiwan. BUT, there are counterfeit Prolific chipsets out there, and the official drivers often do not work with them, even though the chip reports that it's made by Prolific.

While I don't know for sure, I had the characteristic symptoms described in online radio forums that this cable is using a counterfeit chipset. The driver installed, recognized the cable, but the driver wouldn't start. (Windows 7). No luck at all on MacOS.

Save yourself hours of headache and online forum reading. Spend $20 on an official cable.

I've also put "Brainy Deal" on my Do Not Buy From list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cable for BaoFeng UV-5R on Linux, June 15, 2012
R. Riggs (Boulder, CO, USA) - See all my reviews
The cable works on Linux (Fedora 15) for programming a BaoFeng UV-5R using CHIRP. No problems at all. Came up for me as a serial device on /dev/ttyUSB0. Once the TTY device was selected, CHIRP (20120614 snapshot version) detected the UV-5R. I was able to read from the unit and write to the unit with no problems. On the Linux, you may need to update permissions on the TTY device to use /dev/ttyUSB0 as a regular user.

Rate and Discover Movies