2,147
Size Name: 1 PACKChange
Price:$5.98 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 14, 2012
Size Name: 1 PACKVerified Purchase
Placed an order and was quickly informed there was a stocking issue and a resolution date, and within a week the product shipped and received on the day they stated. Very pleased I was informed of the problem before I started wondering what happened. After I got the cable I plugged it into the computer and attempted to use the software that came with it but was unable due to file errors on the CD. No problem as there are plenty of other options available for free (legally) that I had intended on using anyway. I ended up using the software called CHIRP, use your favorite search engine and search "CHIRP radio programming" ensure you download the daily builds as the stable doesn't include support for the UV-5R. Last issue is the driver, there are some sources of chips in these cables that need an older revision of the driver to function. I was able to install the driver off the CD. However if you cant for whatever reason then you need to find <Win7Vista_64bit_prolificUSB_V3200(DOT)exe> and use that driver instead of the one that is auto-installed.

Another source of information is the y**oo group baofeng_uv5r

For Linux:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:dansmith/chirp-snapshots
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chirp-daily

make sure you have read/write privileges to the USB port too
chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0

Then run as su
sudo chirpw

If you have the UV-5R, get this cable...your fingers and sanity will thank you!

1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
FIX & FIGURED OUT!

First let me say that before I correctly installed the proper driver first, plugging the Cable into the Radio & the PC would put the Baofeng UV-5R into Transmit mode, and cause my PC to shut down. Here is how you fix that!

Important: DO NOT plug in the cable to the radio until you get the driver installed. This may cause an excessive power demand from your PC's USB port and cause shut down or damage.

Here is the quick & easy way to install a working driver that is already inside of Windows.

Plug in the USB Radio Cable to your PC only.
Wait for Windows to recognize the new device. (If Windows does not recognize device, go to Device Manager to configure USB Cable driver.)
When asked for a driver/location select Install Driver Manually.
Select HAVE DISC button.
For the TYPE of device scroll down & select PORTS
For the driver manufacturer scroll down & select PROLIFIC
(The USB Serial GPS should be selected on right half of window.)

Windows will give you a warning about the driver, just ignore and continue.
Make sure you look to remember which Port it used. (Ex. COM7)
If you forget which Port is used, you can bring up Device Manager to find the device & port.

If you install Chirp software, you will need to configure it for the Baofeng UV-5R. Make sure you select the correct Port# or it will not find your radio. It will also give you a warning about Baofeng compatibility, just ignore that and continue to "clone" the information from your radio into Chirp software.

When the radio is SENDING information to the software app, the light on the radio will blink RED.
When the radio is RECEIVING information from the software app, the light will blink GREEN.

Below is an alternate method for installing the software that came on the mini CD-ROM disc.

Okay folks...I had the similar problems of not being able to install the driver, nor the WIN7 OS being able to assign a correct one so here is what I did to make it work - EASY!

1. Insert the small drivers disc into your CD-ROM/DVD-ROM.
2. Navigate to the root directory and you will see the Folder "M_K"
3. Go inside the "M_K" folder and you will see a folder named "USB"
4. Go inside the USB folder and you will see another folder named "新版驱动"
Example: F:\M_K\USB\新版驱动 (where "F:" is your CD/DVD drive.)
5. Inside the folder named "新版驱动" you will see a file named:
"PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.7.0.exe"
6. Copy that file to a temporary folder somewhere on your hard drive (C:)
7. You can now run the file without it crashing!
8. The installation should go without any issues and report that the USB driver has been installed correctly.

For some reason, the file is not able to run from the root directory on the mini CD-ROM, and needs to be copied to your computer to run.
You may also want to right-click ("I said, RIGHT-CLICK!") and select "Run as Administrator" if there are problems. I didn't have any, but I am logged on as Administrator of my machine and only have one logon account for this machine.

Please gimme a thumbs up by clicking the "this helped me out" button below!
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 19, 2013
Verified Purchase
This cable works great...(even though its probably a knock off from china) With a little bit of searching Google you will find that this cable uses a chipset that prolific has decided to blacklist along with any updates of there newest drivers. So the driver that you have to use in order for your Windows 7 64 bit OS to recognize it is the Win7Vista_64bit_ProlificUSB_v3200.exe driver, do a quick Google search and you will find it just as easily as I did. Read the rest of this web page for more info on the install [...]
on May 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
I lost my Icom T2H somewhere between the grill & the garage during last summer's storm & wind season. Looked all over and then looked at replacing it. Very expensive loss. Not wanting to spend >$130 on a radio I might lose again, I wandered the web until I found the Baofeng UV-5R. Read a bunch of the snarky reviews, looked at the price and dove. Ordered it on Amazon through Sain. No problem. Less than a week later the radio was in my paws.

The Baofeng UV-5R is a great radio. Weather channels, police channels, 2m & 70m FM & a FM broadcast receiver. At something like $70 it was a good deal. (The manual, for want of a better term, is way below minimal. I had to cruise the Web for that info too.) So, price &c considered, I'm happy with the radio. It'll cover my storm fretting needs & maybe even survive Hamvention.

The software & cable, on the other hand, are a bit of a stretch. First off, according to one source (on the Wouxun.us [importer] website), the cable uses a Chinese fake of a Prolific chip. If you let Windows7 find the driver, it will discover the fake chip & disable the port it's hosed up to.

The CD that came with it appears to have data on it but my computer says it's blank or needs formatted. Nope. That ain't gonna work. (Tried it in another W7 machine & no go. Might work in a XP but mine has no CD hole.) Downloading the software from Wouxun is fine. Got the version for my machine & installed it. But then there's that W7 fake chip checker.

All that being said, and after taking a week off for Dayton Hamvention, I have revised this review as follows:

The cable will work with an XP machine. The software will install on either W7 or XP but the cable, for reasons listed above, will not work on an W7 computer.

The software is a bit clunky. The screen prompts are like the ESL voice prompts on the radio. English? Yes, but you know it ain't like Ma & Pa talk. You have to enter each frequency one at a time. No block copy & paste. There are start up defaults that you can mess with in the Option Features drop-down under the Edit menu. Took me over an hour & some of fiddlin' to get it set up & enter all 98 channels that I am set to use now (which is just about everything from 145.110 to 147.570 MHz). So yeah, it works. I can program the radio. (Be sure to use the radio's RESET ALL before you try to load from your computer.) And I can add PL & CTCSS data to the software's table & all that.

So the radio's still great. I like it plenty. And once I got it goin', the cable/software were good too. I'm happy now. We're cool. But it still bothers me that the cable won't work with W7 (without messin' with the drivers).

Thus the upgrade to three stars. (I'd go for 3.5 'cept there's no half a star increment)
on May 21, 2013
Size Name: 1 PACKVerified Purchase
I am computer savvy and this thing either has a bad chip in it, or I got a bad one. Others say it works great, but I had zero success communicating with the UV-5R radio. I tried windows XP, windows 7 (64 bit) and Vista (64 bit). I installed the correct drivers! The computer sees the chip and appears to talk to it, but the chip wont talk to the radio. Perhaps its a broken wire or something. I know some of these have fake prolific chips, and I know that you have to trim the plastic off of the edge to make it properly fit all the way into the radio. Been there, done that. Just got a bad one I guess.

I did not bother trying to return it cuz it was cheap. I have had no prob with the seller at all, its not their fault, I just got a bad one and didn't think it worth sending back.

Just fyi, I got a different one with a FTDI genuine chip set and it works on all of my PC's with no fiddling around, first time out of the box.
on January 13, 2013
Size Name: 1 PACKVerified Purchase
Edited by Me: This cable just did not work. I have tried multiple drivers and all the tricks listed on various websites. The chipset appears to be the issue. The manufacturer has actually discontinued this chipset due to Chinese counterfeits that flooded the market. They have even gone as far as to have the Windows OS update disable their driver on devices with the counterfeit chipset, forcing users to use an outdated driver- IF they can get it to work. I finally used the tester program from the chip manufacturer and it appears to be a counterfeit controller chip.

That being said, after spending 4 hours yesterday trying to get it to work I went to bed a bit peeved. Today, on a whim, I tried to install this item on another computer running the exact same OS. Now, it works.

It forced me to speed up my timetable to update my laptop to Win8. It now also works on the original computer, but only with a specific driver set for my UV5RA. Apparently, the UV5RA is a bit more finicky than earlier editions. I have the 295 software version. If you run into the same issues do a search for universal radio UV5RA. I gave it a 3 rating because it is still a pain in the rear due to the drivers. The software they send has very bad instructions and are outdated. The newer drivers and installation software work for Software version 291 and higher.

-73's
on April 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
There are a lot of aftermarket USB cables for programming radios. Some of them are knock-offs of knock-offs - essentially pirated versions of legitimate aftermarket cables. The chipset used in several legitimate aftermarket cables is made by a company called "Prolific" in Taiwan. BUT, there are counterfeit Prolific chipsets out there, and the official drivers often do not work with them, even though the chip reports that it's made by Prolific.

While I don't know for sure, I had the characteristic symptoms described in online radio forums that this cable is using a counterfeit chipset. The driver installed, recognized the cable, but the driver wouldn't start. (Windows 7). No luck at all on MacOS.

Save yourself hours of headache and online forum reading. Spend $20 on an official cable.

I've also put "Brainy Deal" on my Do Not Buy From list.
on June 13, 2013
Size Name: 1 PACKVerified Purchase
33% of the reviews for this cable are 2 stars or less. That kinda tells you something is not going right.

Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this cable.

I didn't read the reviews when I bought this cable and that cost me a lot of work and wasted hours. A very SIMPLE device like this cable should have a LOT of high rated reviews, but it doesn't and that's the first warning. How many cables have you had fail in the past . . . none??? I've never had a bad cable, but I can't say that now.

I'm a Mac owner . . .

and my computer NEVER recognized my Baofeng radio using the CHIRP software with this cable. I kept getting an error message from the CHIRP software ("Radio did not respond"). After trying numerous things such as different drivers, trimming the cable connector, etc, I realized that the computer wasn't recognizing the chip in this cheap crummy USB cable.

One buyer that left a 1 star feedback said, "after going to my local ham radio store . . . the guy told me that the chip in the cable is probably out of date" (a knockoff is far more likely - says Bob). "I asked him how could I tell if that is so. He said that I won't be able to download anything to the radio and that is exactly what happened. Do yourself a favor, go to the local ham store and buy their cable."

And that's exactly what I did, went to my local ham radio store and told him I wanted to buy a PL2303 USB cable with a GENUINE Prolific chip.

Went home, held my breath, plugged in the new cable, started up the CHIRP software and tried to "Download From Radio" and boom . . . it worked first time with no problems. Wow!!!

In my successful attempt to download the radio settings to the CHIRP software, I was presented with 4 choices under Port selection. Previously I only had 2 selections available, both were Bluetooth ports. The 2 new ones were PL2303 and USB serial. I selected PL2303 as the Prolific chip is PL2303. I haven't tried the USB serial selection, but it might work also.

Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this cable.

Now this might have been a problem that was peculiar to a Mac and not a Windows computer. 50% of the reviewers give this cable 4 stars of higher and they obviously had something go right (???). But I'm positive that the chip in my cable was a cheap knockoff of the Prolific chip and that's why my computer never could recognize the cable. Maybe Windows computers have a different tolerance to cheap chips or somebody is writing bad feedback. I don't know but this was all a bad experience that I wished I had avoided.
on June 15, 2012
Verified Purchase
The cable works on Linux (Fedora 15) for programming a BaoFeng UV-5R using CHIRP. No problems at all. Came up for me as a serial device on /dev/ttyUSB0. Once the TTY device was selected, CHIRP (20120614 snapshot version) detected the UV-5R. I was able to read from the unit and write to the unit with no problems. On the Linux, you may need to update permissions on the TTY device to use /dev/ttyUSB0 as a regular user.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 18, 2013
Size Name: 1 PACKVerified Purchase
Cannot get this to work. I believe the cable has a knock-off chip chip in the USB plug. I wish I knew where to get a genuine one. The Program disk was a copy and the files out of date for the UV-5RA.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations