Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Programming Clojure (Pragmatic Programmers)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on June 28, 2009
In case you haven't heard of it yet, Clojure is a programming language designed by Rich Hickey, a Lisp dialect, that runs on the Java Virtual Machine and is designed support concurrent programming.

Clojure has excellent documentation and Rich has posted several great videos of talks he has given that cover the rational for Clojure as well as an introduction into the major concepts. I highly recommend that you watch those videos if you haven't already because Rich does a great job explaining why concurrency is hard using the typical Object-Oriented model that we program in today and how the features of Clojure support a better model for concurrency. Whether you are programming in Java, C#, Erlang, Haskell, Python, Ruby, etc., you will probably be able to learn something from these talks, and plus Rich is just an interesting guy to listen to.

So after all that, you might be saying why do we need a book about Clojure? The answer is that although the documentation is good, it can be a little intimidating when first learning Clojure. For programmers with little or no Lisp or functional programming experience, figuring out how to do basic things the idiomatic way in Clojure can be a daunting task. Stuart's book does an excellent job filling this gap.

The book covers all the major feature of Clojure and is very up-to-date. During the beta review period, chapters were often completely re-written to keep up with changes in the language that occurred before it stabilized in a 1.0 release. I think the final product greatly benefited from that work and is an excellent resource for learning Clojure. I encourage you to pick up a copy today.
on January 8, 2010
This book gave the right amount of detail for me, in about the right order, and I expect it to be a useful reference going forward. If you have a passing familiarity Lisp, and have done a modicum of metaprogramming in some language or other, this book will strike a chord: "Yes, that's how a modern programming language should look."

Clojure may not be quite "there" yet, mainly because it is not yet battle-hardened and library supported in the same way as my native C++, but it's promising enough that I'm starting to do real work with it.

This is the only title from this publisher that has not let me down: Data Crunching is a horrid book, in that it is filled with bad advice, and Programming Ruby just lacked information density, i.e. the information could have been covered in a much shorter book. After the good experience with Programming Clojure, I tried one of the PDF books from PragProg (on Google Web Toolkit), and my only complaint so far is that the examples need tweaking to work with the latest version of the software.