5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy read, full of education
While I had heard of Julie Lerman and her book Programming Entity Framework, after the release of code first I was on the fence on just how much I would get out of the existing book. With the release of Programming Entity Framework: Code First I knew I'd learn something, so I picked up an electronic copy (PDF) and started digging in.

First, I should mention...
Published on January 5, 2012 by James Skemp

3.0 out of 5 stars Had hoped for more examples
The book is very good if you know ADO.NET and wan't to learn about code first. But it does not stand alone...
Published 20 months ago by Rene Nejsum

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy read, full of education, January 5, 2012
This review is from: Programming Entity Framework: Code First (Paperback)

First, I should mention that I initially started working with Entity Framework via existing databases. I tried the pre-4 version, but ultimately tried to stay away until EF4 was released. I liked the Visual Studio interface to work with a database via EF, and created one site, still in production, that uses it, but I like being closer to the metal.

With the release of EF Code First I started digging in immediately, using it to create functionality on one site already in production, and most recently started working on another site, for eventual release into production. However, on this latter site I was working with more advanced models and kept running into weird EF issues.

After a few chapters in Programming Entity Framework: Code First I had determined what my issue was, and how to fix it, which alone is worth the price. In addition, while I understood data annotations, I now have a pretty firm grasp on what I can do via the Fluent API, and how I can better control what EF does when it creates the database to store my model.

The size of the book may initially throw you off, but I honestly believe that this book contains as much material as a book almost twice the size. In addition, while I came into the book having already worked with Entity Framework, and code first, I believe this book can easily be picked up by someone new to both technologies. Also, while the 'first' book is referred to within this book, having read it is not necessary.

Julia Lerman will be releasing another book, Programming Entity Framework: DbContext, and I will honestly be picking that book up as well. At this point, however, I'm still on the fence on whether I'll be picking up the 'primary' book, Programming Entity Framework, but I'm sure at some point I will, as I believe it will still be beneficial.

This book will definitely have select chapters read again, and will serve as a good reference, so I give this book 5 of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star read - but no index, March 28, 2012
This review is from: Programming Entity Framework: Code First (Paperback)
Just a quick note to point out this book has no index. It is however comparatively short and very well structured and hence its within reason to read it end-to-end. Until you have made it to the end however, the lack of an index makes it hard to just get on and code.
5 Stars none-the-less - its by Julia Lerman so would expect no less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tutorial/reference on modern EF development using Code First, May 24, 2012
This review is from: Programming Entity Framework: Code First (Paperback)
I was initially quite skeptical about the content quality of this book, due to poor experience with programming EF 2ed;
However, this one is surprisingly well organized & well written, with extremely lucid explannations of key concepts using good examples. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written, June 11, 2013
This review is from: Programming Entity Framework: Code First (Paperback)
I had previously tried to learn code first by using online examples and code that I had managed to collect. I did ok, but I had several questions. This book reminded me of why I should not learn from the web. It gives you the correct way to design your database using both Fluent API and and Annotations. From the start I was able to create each example as the book detailed. The only place that I had any trouble was with one to one relationships, and the book even stated that there would be some hangups with this. All these relationships took were a little bit of practice and I was well on my way to creating my own database using Code First. I have struggled with Code First for a while and it only took me a few weeks to get through this book and I feel like I am at the top of my game now. I would recommend this to anyone using C# development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, plenty of sample code, November 30, 2011
This review is from: Programming Entity Framework: Code First (Paperback)
This book and the 2nd Edition of Programming Entity Framework by this author gave me all the foundation I needed to begin using EF in a very smart and efficient manner in real production projects. Code First taught me how to keep my POCO classes completely free of data annotations and use the powerful fluent API to configure all the mappings and attributes needed to match my classes to the database table by using configuration classes in code. This is the central reason I chose to use Code First.

The foundation provided in the previous book made learning Code First easy. I learned what choice to make from the possibilities and what the benefit and compromise of that choice were.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 24, 2013
Again, if you want to know about EF this is a must read. Simple, but useful practice examples, all about a very exciting technology from M S

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right book for CF, February 5, 2013
Very didactic and well explained. A good point is that the author does not forget about VB, giving good examples in both languages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great side view of the Code First approach, October 17, 2012
Great overview for Code First, but to get whole picture of Entity framework you need to get to the main book "Programming Entity Framework: Building Data Centric Apps with the ADO.NET Entity Framework". Actually would be 5 stars if included unit-testing approaches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, EF you can understand. But..., February 17, 2014
Douglas A. Drake (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programming Entity Framework: Code First (Paperback)
This is the 3rd EF book I purchased - the first two were worthless. Julia Lerman does a great job of explaining things in an understandable way. I will end up buying Programming Entity Framework, 2nd Edition also. Don't waste your time on other books.

That said, there are a few things that would have made this GOOD book a GREAT book.

1) Include VB.Net code as well as C#. I wouldn't have bought this book because of the lack of VB code except that it seems to be the only EF book worth anything. If someone comes along and writes another decent EF book that includes VB it'll give this one a run for it's money.

2) Let us know when and what code we need to enter into the sample project. A lot of times the author says things like "if you were to add the following code..." Does that mean I should enter it or just read it over to understand it?

3) The project is quite complex and the code changes continually. A lot of authors show you the entire current code with new or changed code highlighted or in bold. This is very helpful, without it it's easy to get lost in all the changes. I really wish Ms. Lerman had done this. As it is, I have some code right now that doesn't work and it's very difficult to figure out were the problem is because there is no listing of what the code should look like other than the little snippet that was added.

A good book that could have been a great book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, Concise and Immediately Useful, February 29, 2012
This review is from: Programming Entity Framework: Code First (Paperback)
This book is clearly written and well organized. The code samples work and cover most scenarios you will typically encounter. Since the book will lead you to experiment on your own right away, I recommend taking your time and reading this book deliberately and working with the examples. You will learn small details that will save you trial and error when you are ready to use the technology on your own.

Julia and Rowan have done a wonderful job here, and you will be tempted to "run with it". Resist. The exposition is very concise and the examples are thoughtfully extended from start to finish.

Being a little patient and letting the authors walk you through will save you time in the long run. Working through the book in order models the iterative process we go through as developers. The authors demonstrate how code first gracefully adapts as requirements change.

Jullia and Rowan are consumate teachers in this book.

*** Quick edit ***

I have both the print and Kindle edition of this book. I am very happy with the Kindle version. The images and code samples are easy to read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Programming Entity Framework: Code First
Programming Entity Framework: Code First by Julia Lerman (Paperback - December 4, 2011)
$24.99 $22.53