From the Back Cover
Programming the Finite Element Method Third Edition I. M. Smith University of Manchester, UK. D. V. Griffiths Colorado School of Mines, USA. Following the highly successful previous editions, this Third edition contains programs and subroutine libraries fully updated in Fortran 90, which are also available on the Internet via anonymous ftp. A wide variety of new problem solving analyses are presented, including classical structural analysis, elasticity and plasticity, steady state and transient fluid flow, linear and non-linear solid dynamics and construction processes in geomechanics. The authors provide:
* a clear outline of programming philosophy
* programs which illustrate analytic rather than numerical evaluation of element properties
* exercises for students to solve
Unique elements of the text include:
* practical problems in Fortran 90
* instructions to the reader for developing their own computer programs which use the finite element method to solve specific problems
* guidelines towards vectorisable/parallelisable programs
* 'Mesh-free' or 'element-by-element' techniques supplanting traditional 'mesh-dependent' or 'global element assembly' methods in every chapter.
These improvements all contribute to a more comprehensive book with a wide appeal, but which will be of particular interest to students and practitioners in the application of the finite element method, and problems related to its use; undergraduates and postgraduates in civil engineering (applications in fields of Geomechanics), mechanical engineering (stress and fluid flow problems), applied mathematics and physics (solution of partial differential equations), and engineers in the fields as indicated above.
About the Author
Professor Smith is currently the Head of the Geotechnics Division at the Manchester Centre for Civil and Construction Engineering, UMIST.
Professor Griffiths is Professor of Civil Engineering, Division of Engineering at the Colorado School of Mines.
--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.