Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 1, 2015
def helped me move forward with my job
on January 1, 2011
Will this book help you learn Groovy? Absolutely. However, it's not in the same class as great programming books like Bloch's Effective Java or Goetz's Java Concurrency in Practice.

I didn't appreciate the extra space taken up by the author's conversational style. I prefer a denser, more straight-to-the-point style.

The content of the book wasn't very well organized. Language features were used in examples before they were explained. Sometimes this is unavoidable, but Odersky's Scala book did a much better job on stepping you through the language in an incremental fashion.

Some of the Java examples used to motivate Groovy language features were somewhat disingenuous. Badly written Java is not a valid reason to use another language.

The book is also pretty short. That's not a bad thing necessarily, but I wasn't terribly impressed by the level of detail so it feels a little abbreviated.
on November 20, 2010
This book contains all the major topics covered in other Groovy books, but examples and topic coverage are cursory. I also purchased Groovy in Action, and have found it to be a much more complete and in depth resource.
on September 1, 2010
A colleague of mine that was recently hired in our company was very impressed about this book.
Here is his review:
"I am a junior developer who jumped from the oldest but goldies C++ and some Java, right to this new world of dynamic web programming.

When I first touched this ground I was hungrily searching for a good book to somehow make me feel this new wave.
So I put my hands on "Programming Groovy: Dynamic Productivity for the Java Developer" and I must say that Venkat Subramaniam did a great job with this book. I had no difficulties at all to assimilate Groovy's dynamic concepts, since the book is well written and descriptive enough even for a junior developer like myself.

The first two parts of the book are a good introduction to Groovy, while the third part of the book, the one about MOPing, is very useful for those developers that are interested in writing code testing because it give a fairly image of Groovy injection, method interception and mocking.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn a new, refreshing, dynamic language. Still, you need some previous programming knowledge to understand the concepts presented by Venkat.

PS: I also liked the small jokes that add spice to the book."

Do I need to say something else? If you want to learn Groovy go buy this book, it's very good.

Ionel Condor,
Cluj, ROMANIA.
on July 15, 2010
This book does a solid job of outlining the features of Groovy and how to use them. But I am not sure it adds too much more than is available in the online documentation for Groovy. I was looking for more in depth case studies and advice on how to integrate Groovy in the enterprise and existing projects. Scripted, dynamic Java would be very useful as both a debugging tool "in the wild", and as an on-the-fly configuration tool, but I didn't see enough information around those topics in this book. That said, the chapter on using Groovy for unit-testing Java with mock objects is very helpful.

The main thrust of this book is using Groovy as a standalone lightweight app development tool that is Java-like, but with features that Java doesn't have like closures etc. This is all well and good, but if coding from scratch in a dynamic language why not use Ruby, Python etc? Hell, why not just use JavaScript on Rhino?? :-) If restricted by the JVM, then JRuby etc. Anyway, I digress, but I figured there would be a lot more information on integration of Groovy in to your current Java projects and frameworks, not building projects from scratch in Groovy. It does tell you the basics of integration, but when buying a book to flesh out the online docs, you expect a fairly significant case study or example for each key feature.

In summary, I'm slightly underwhelmed by this book in the light of the pretty good online docs for Groovy. I must admit, however, I have not studied the last section on DSLs yet, which may yet reveal some nuggets of gold.
on July 12, 2010
Groovy is an interesting and valuable addition to the JVM family of languages. Unfortunately, the author of this book, while he may know groovy, knows little about writing. The book wanders between shining generalities about the wonders of groovy, snarky but empty snipes at Java, and way too much of the author trying to prove how clever he is. Any tech book where you read as much about the author as the subject is a bad one. And this definitely qualifies.

In and around all that he does manage to impart some useful knowledge of groovy. However the descriptions and explanations of code are often too brief, telling you what the code does but leaving the reader to puzzle through how it does it. Had the author spent less time telling us about himself and feeding us meaningless propaganda, perhaps he would have had more room to properly teach.
on January 18, 2010
Although the author has sometimes a very strange sense of humour and although he tends sometimes to verbal self-overestimation, the book gives good plain stuff worth to be learned, especially about Groovy's metaprogramming capabilities.
Sometimes, coding examples are again explained verbally without additional worth and sometimes lists of explanations and concepts tend rather to be assiduously collected enumerations missing a bit of easiness in depiction. Graeme Rocher's quality is not reached. Nevertheless, a very usable overview.
on October 18, 2009
I started using Groovy a year and a half ago, for personal projects. I enjoy the language and find it refreshing. The first part of the book is very useful as a "quick reference" for some of the core aspects of the language with the bonus of added explanation, examples and comparisons with Java.

The second part of the book is a little more advanced or perhaps simply a little more specialized in its content, but still contains useful information.

It's a book I will refer to time and time again.
on September 20, 2009
There are no many books that I managed to read through within few weeks. That is a one! I literally eat first 1/2 of the book in no time almost in one shoot. So I must say it is very well structured and written - easy to read for someone who knows Java. If you do not know Java or other very similar language it might be difficult for you - choose something else.

What I found a bit irritating is pour Index. Anytime I wanted to get back to something I just could not find it and spent hours scrolling in the book even when I knew keywords. Also on a negative side, I think there was no need to have so thick and nice quality paper - only 300 pages long book is heavier than it should be making it hard to carry around.
on June 28, 2009
As other's have said, this is a great book. It doesn't beat you down with long case studies. The Chapters are concise, only giving you what you need to know. Groovy makes makes Java programmers "happy" and this book gives the goods on the finer points of the language. I recommend getting this book along with groovy recipes Groovy Recipes: Greasing the Wheels of Java (Pragmatic Programmers) for a combination that will put your productivity into high gear.