5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for those learning Arduino, Processing, or oF
What I great book! I was surprised to see how thick this book was.

I am learning the Arduino and have found this book such an in-depth and invaluable reference. It's a well written book that presents each language from the ground up so that even the complete beginner isn't lost. This book is for all, no matter what stage of learning.

If you're just...
Published on August 31, 2009 by K Seder

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 different languages mixed
I got this book to learn openframeworks. A very good and complete guide, but a little difficult to read and understand because the author mixes three different languages: arduino, processing and openframeworks. I would have found more interesting a simple openframeworks book, a lot of information about the other two is already published.
I have also found some...
Published on February 12, 2010 by R. MARCO PADILLA

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for those learning Arduino, Processing, or oF, August 31, 2009
This review is from: Programming Interactivity: A Designer's Guide to Processing, Arduino, and Openframeworks (Paperback)
What I great book! I was surprised to see how thick this book was.

If you're just started with the Arduino, or already have some experience with the Arduino and want to learn more you will NOT be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, concise, very useful. Top notch Arduino info!, November 30, 2009
Being new to programming I have purchased a dozen texts as of this last purchase "Interactivity". This is the only one of the twelve that got me coding straight away. Within twenty minutes I had something a little more interesting than blinking lights to look at. My home brew robot had an obstacle avoidance routine written and working. I have been adding to that program ever since, not laboring over seemingly hopeless examples of projects that just don't interest me.

If you just bought an Arduino, or have any other reason to understand and use a computer language this should be your first purchased. More than any of that (and that would be enough) this text is readable, enjoyable. I would reread this book just because I enjoyed the author's style of writing.

This book also offers you a bonus, this might scare off some that read other reviews or the book description: you will learn three languages simultaneously. This would seem like an impossible task for most folks intimidated by learning just one language, but the author demonstrates quickly how natural it is to learn all three side by side. What a boon to your knowledge base!

It is very rare a text book of such wide scope and usefulness is authored.

4.0 out of 5 stars Give this book a chance to meet your needs., December 12, 2009
When I began reading (studying?) this book, I was a bit disappointed because of its emphasis on Processing and OpenFrameWorks which are two programming languages closely related to the Arduino programming language. I had purchased the book specifically to gain knowledge about the Arduino language and its nuances, and here I was being "force fed" more languages!
After reading the first Chapter or two, I laid it aside for a couple of weeks, hoping to sell it on e-bay or something. I picked it up again, thumbed to some random location in the middle of the book and found that I was "hooked". I downloaded the Processing language Development Environment as suggested in the book, found it was virtually identical to the Arduino language (from which it was derived), and was delighted that the book delved very nicely into the "nuances" that I had been looking for.
I have little interest in OpenFrameWorks language, but this book gives me everything I hoped for related to Arduino and Processing. It is thorough, simple when it needs to be simple, and more in-depth when appropriate. I recommend this book to anyone who has a desire to become proficient in the programming environment used by Arduino. (BTW...if you don't know what an Arduino is, you probably should NOT by this book!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tour De Force of Interaction Design and Physical Computing, August 6, 2009
This massive volume provides the artist, designer, or non-technical hobbyist with all the skills they need to create awesome demonstrations, interactive systems and exhibits which exploit the best of what has been developed in Physical Computing and Interaction Design. Contained within this handbook are the tools for the non-technical individual to explore and exploit the capabilities of the Arduino Microcontroller environment, three different and powerful programming environments (Arduino, Processing and openFrameworks), basic Analog and Digital Electronics, Machine Vision and Sound Processing, as well as interviews with leading practitioners of Interaction Design and Physical Computing.

Its all in here in a well explained and comprehensive fashion--everything the artist, designer, or hobbyist needs to exploit programming, microcontrollers, physical computing, sensors and actuators, and interaction design. My only slight nit, on this excellent instructional handbook is that--given there is much too much information to be digested in a few sittings, the navigation and exploration of this important guide to Interactivity, will be somewhat anecdotal and will require tabbing of important spots for subsequent reference.

But this is the best and most up-to-date and comprehensive review of Physical Computing and Interaction Programming available anywhere.

-_Ira Laefsky
Information Technology Consultant and HCI Researcher

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who want to explore a greatly creative field, October 18, 2009
This is a very good treatise about interaction among computers, microcontrollers, human beings and the outside world. In particular it explores Processing, Openframeworks and Arduino.
Absolutly clear on how to make things work, both hardware and software. Those who are not too familiar with electronics or programming will find the practical examples in this book easy to reproduce. Some problems may be encountered with "Openframeworks" though, having it up and running at the beginning. There are some links and forums where any unskilled individual can find help anyway.
This is a "must read" for the creative artist, designer, architect, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive amount of content, March 5, 2011
This book is a great resource for those new to Arduino, Processing, or Openframeworks. The amount of (quality) information that the author managed to get into the book is impressive to say the least. Some of the interesting topics I'd like to mention include:

-> Interfacing the Arduino with practically any kind of device you can imagine: motion sensors, accelerometers, stepper motors, appliances... the list goes on and on.
-> Using the Arduino to talk to Processing applications (easier than you think, it's just Serial communication!)
-> Image processing with Openframeworks
-> Networking in Processing and Arduino

Seriously, it really is in-depth. Take a look at the index if you don't believe me.

I bought this book along with the Arduino Uno. My one caution to those that want to do the same is this: The setup information for Arduino doesn't exactly cover the Uno. The Uno (and the new Mega) came out after this book was released. BUT, the process hasn't really changed at all. You shouldn't have any problems.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to get involved with any of the three technologies the book covers.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 different languages mixed, February 12, 2010
I have also found some mistakes in code which have made me become crazy.
I recommend this book because i think it's the only openframeworks book option by now (FEB/2010).
I really liked the way that theory is explained, but codelines in this book aren't as good as i had expected.

3.0 out of 5 stars nice but too shallow, lacks focus, October 3, 2011
Let me start by saying that this is a great effort and, clocking in over 700 pages, a volume filled to the brim with interesting stuff. The book has a slightly cryptic title but it deals with how to programming interactive installations, artworks, or games. A fascinating topic that was in need of a good introduction.

This book tries to be that introduction and to a certain extend, it succeeds. However, I wish their was more focus to this book. The author or editor should have decided to either leave the introductions to programming out (there are plenty of books on that), or to delete advanced topics like shader programming. Now, too many topics are introduced, briefly explained with very short demo programs, and then left again with the repeated mantra "this book cannot begin to fully deal with this very complex topic". Additional niggle: Instead of writing that mantra, give me some good references to other books and sites and explain what these sources do well. Also, instead of only explaining how shaders work, tell me what I may need them for.

I like the thematic approach of this book. It first introduces the three main topics: Processing (java), arduino (a micro controller), and openFrameworks (a C++ environment). After that, it deals with topics like sound, touch, positioning, etc. Each topic comes back twice, because Processing and OpenFrameworks are both discussed. This leads to a lot of overlap and made me wonder whether this should not have been two books instead of one. It also makes the introductions to programming more awkward: If this book is really also aimed at people without any prior knowledge of programming, why teach them two languages at the same time?

A more important drawback is that the book is too busy introducing things to show how things work together: A simple example of how we can tie face perception to the generation of sound, or how we can make gestures and an Arduino reading RFIDs work together would have been great. A larger project like that would have also given room for discussions on how to maintain code, use subversion, coordinate large code blocks, etc.

In all, a nice book that is not without flaws. I enjoy it but it is certainly one of the least polished O'Reilly books I own. I hope there will soon be a second edition which can fix all this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, but exactly what I need, September 4, 2010
Christopher T. Dahle (Del Norte, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
I'm working my way through this. Half the time I don't know what Mr. Noble is talking about, but the text does eventually succumb to hard work and study and I would not be learning my way around this field at anywhere near the pace if it were an "easier" book. It's a great book about a new, complex, rapidly growing field in which I am a complete neophyte. I am enjoying the challenge immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cream of the Crop, October 12, 2009
I've purchased a variety of books on physical computing, arduino, and processing but this one is probably the best of the best. Lots of info with lots of code, probably not for absolute beginners but a great read at any level.

Used & New from: $10.84