Published 23 months ago by Darek Senkow

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
Good book on learning the basics for objective C. It might bore you outta your mind like me, but it's necessary to code for Xcode.

The basics are solid but the iOS development section is weak.
Published 13 months ago by Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Struggled with other books, but this book starts at 0 which is the best way to learn any language imo., January 16, 2013
This review is from: Programming in Objective-C (5th Edition) (Developer's Library) (Paperback)
I've never really had a hard time learning a new programming language until I bumped into Objective-C. There was something about the code/messaging structure and general approach that was not as intuitive to my nature as other languages. I read several Objective-C/iOS/Cocoa books and struggled with their broad assumptions of previous Objective-C experience. I really needed to find a way to start with a clean slate and learn from the ground up. Luckily for me, Kochan's book does just that by stripping away the complexity of UI (for a while) and Xcode (more or less) in order to first focus on the code itself. I know several other OO languages so it quickly became a matter of syntax after the first few chapters and before I knew it I was off to the races- coding Objective-C to Apple standards and fully understanding nearly every Apple tutorial, YouTube tutorial, and Objective-C code snippet that I could get my hands on- where it was all Greek to me just a few days earlier. I went from weeks of frustation to grokking it in a matter of a few hours. That is when the book delves into Xcode for a bit and teaches the basics of IB outlets, etc. I've recommended this book to many others.

I've also never read a book that stays as current with new developments as this one does. A year ago I bought the 3rd edition, then the 4th. Now we're on the 5th and completely abreast with Xcode. Remarkable. And I was able to protect my investment in those other less effective books- because after this one, I actually knew what they were talking about.

So yeah- I owe a big thanks to this book. Thanks, book!

5.0 out of 5 stars new to programming altogether- awesome book!, January 19, 2013
Pretty new to programming- tried learning C++ a couple of times in the past and never really got the concept of object-oriented programming. This book helped me finally break through and understand a concept I had struggled with several times in the past. And in probably what is a less intuitive programming language to boot. Very pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier, January 10, 2013
I've been working slowly throught the text on my own for the past month and so far I couldn't be happier. The author writes in a clear and concise manner that is easy to follow. Although, I'm not sure how much I like the Objective-C language yet, I have to say this is one of the best programming books that I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to learn Objective-C? Look no further., February 27, 2013
I was a programmer for a long time but have been in a management role for >10 years. On a lark I decided to play around with iPhone app development so wanted a leg-up on Objective-C. This book was perfect. The first chapters I was able to skim, as they cover the basic language constructs - data types, string manipulation, basic OO stuff - all I needed here was a refresher and the syntax, but there's plenty here for someone newer to the programming world. About a third of the way in it transitions to more Objective-C specific topics, introducing the reader to some of the key Foundation library classes (NS...). Protocols and Categories were new concepts to me; i had to go through those chapters a couple times. And the fun at the end of using UIKit for a quick & dirty iPhone app gives a great sense of accomplishment & a desire to keep going.

The examples I found to be very well designed. They are simple, but not trivial, using domains most people should be comfortable with. Through the first part of the book one builds a fraction calculator - all the math is given (thank god!), all one needs do is translate algorithm to code. The second part uses an address book. The exercises are designed to have you write code around the particular topic, and include very little "busy work" - code to write that's not directly related.

There's also a decent amount of information about how to use XCode - not a thorough reference, but enough so that a person unfamiliar with the tool can be productive. As a person whose last IDE was Codewrite with SlickEdit installed alongside, using XCode is breathtakingly wonderful - it provides a level of support for the developer that I never imagined was possible. Using it is like coding in a dream.

Whether you're new to programming, wondering if it's like riding a bike, or just need to learn Objective-C - your investment in this book will pay dividends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good approach with easy to follow explanations, April 29, 2013
Having decided to learn Objective-C with no object oriented programming experience I found the approach, level of detail and clarity of explanation in this book far better than anything I've come across. It was particularly refreshing to see an approach which doesn't start by saying "learn C" but includes the elements of C necessary for an integrated approach while introducing an object oriented approach from the outset.

5.0 out of 5 stars great reference for people that want to begin learnong ios program, March 20, 2013
if you want to learn ios program by o-o design, this book is good for you beginning.this book is the best for ios programing beginner that i found after reading several different books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginner's book for objective-c, January 12, 2013
I bought this book last December 2012 and I have to say that the way that it was written was well thought of. I had no previous knowledge of objective c but after a few chapters, I feel competent enough to understand and write simple but useful programs in xcode. I needed to do some research on a few exercise problems but most of them were thorougly covered by the book. I'd recommend to anyone starting off to learn objective-c.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right balance, January 26, 2013
After reading several other books on objective oriented programming in the last year, this text book strikes the right balance for those of us how are new to this business and are just getting to grips with all the complex concepts of this area of IT. The author gives good clear descriptions for each topic discussed in the chapters and is good enough to instruct the reader to review paragraphs where he strays into the zone of strange computer science theory. The exercises have the right level of head wreck complexity but the student is always enticed enough to rise to the challenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, March 10, 2014
Required for my class. Great book with good samples.
One of the first computer book that I could read from cover to cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Introduction To Objective C, October 19, 2013
This was a very good book. I finished it in a couple weeks after having a sudden urge to make iOS apps. I had no experience with Objecitve-C beforehand and found it to be very informative. The only other thing I would say is that it might be too difficult for someone who has never programmed before. I'm coming from C++, and I could see how some people might be a little lost the further along in the book they get. If you're completely new to programming I'd suggest maybe reading another book that goes over the fundamentals of programming better. And then when you're comfortable with them move on to this book.

Programming in Objective-C (5th Edition) (Developer's Library)
Programming in Objective-C (5th Edition) (Developer's Library) by Stephen G. Kochan (Paperback - December 14, 2012)
Used & New from: $12.46