Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on September 23, 2011
With the inception of Google+, along with the already-dominant Facebook and Twitter, it is important that developers who are supporting existing applications, look to extend their brand across the social-sphere, and this book, Programming Social Applications , aims to educate the readers on the various options available out there today. The author, Jonathan LeBlanc starts off with the basics, underlying the various containers that make up a Social Application, before looking at the arguments between proprietary and open-source implementations.

There are various aspects to hosting the application, client-side, and it's infrastructure requirements, using Flash as an example, or HTML5, as well as server-side, and a combination of both. What is good about this book, is that the author provides various case-studies, to emphasise good v.s bad design as well as explore privacy issues associated with mapping user profile data to your application.

All in all, the book is quite detailed, it does go through examples, including coding examples, and various design methodologies that make popular widget and apps on Facebook for example, which I must admire. I didn't have any issues with the book, besides perhaps it being too thick, which is why I probably just skip to the appropriate sections. I quite enjoyed it, although I do take bits and pieces of it to use as are appropriate for my projects, but this book fits well as a reference, as well as in-depth page-to-page read. Recommend this completely.
on October 11, 2015
Haven't bought this book yet, but I did check out the TOC on Google Books.

The problem is this area is evolving so fast, and this book is from 2011.

Would definitely buy it if it was revised, especially with regards to OpenID Connect.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2014
Everything I hoped it would be
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse