5.0 out of 5 stars This book is indispensable for WCF
I've recently written two applications using WCF. One without the benefit of this book and one with. Without this book, I used search engines and Microsoft reference material and blogs. I got a lot of data but precious little knowledge. I finished the project and it works. However, I knew my WCF skills were not yet where they needed to be.
With the second...
Published on March 26, 2011 by Kad

3.0 out of 5 stars When they say mastering, they mean it
The book is quite thorough and detailed, but jumps right in to specific details that assume that you have completely mastered the basics. Don't look here if you are trying to build your first WCF application, but rather if you have one built or working, and want to delve into the finer points of security and other considerations.

I would have liked to have...
Published on December 22, 2010 by Average Guy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars When they say mastering, they mean it, December 22, 2010
This review is from: Programming WCF Services: Mastering WCF and the Azure AppFabric Service Bus (Paperback)

I would have liked to have seen more guidance from the authors on the patterns for using the book. "once your app is working, then look at security in this way..., then look at transport considerations in this way...". That would make the book more of a directive tool and less of a reference-only tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is indispensable for WCF, March 26, 2011
With the second application, I began with this book. My confidence level was much higher by the time I began coding and testing. The application uses DLL injection and both ends are in Windows forms. I surmounted all problems with the rich detail in this book. It's rare to find a book that you prefer over all the data that can be obtained from search engines. My book has many, many highlighted sentences I refer to during development. It is indispensable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, but not for beginners, January 12, 2012
H. Zhang "hz" (MA United States) - See all my reviews
I just want to write a very brief review to echo the views of many other reviewers of all editions of this book.

1.This is a comprehensive book on WCF for people who want to have a thorough understanding of WCF.
2.Beginners should avoid this book because it may make WCF so intimidating that, I am afraid, some may seek alternatives to WCF after a look at this book. Microsoft has done a great job in making WCF so easy to implement that some simple use of web services can be implemented literally in minutes both on the server side and the client side. This book is great for advanced users who want a deep understanding of WCF. One may never need such a book if he only has some light use of web services.

A great strength of WCF is that it allows the consumption of general SOAP based web service to be as easy as consuming WCF services. This is one of significant advantages making .Net stand out as a superior framework. Unfortunately, this book does not elaborate on this. Just one or two pages explaining SOAP, WS1.2, Addressing 1.0, etc. would be very beneficial to readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, September 2, 2011
I bought this book especially to get details about Security in WCF, which is very hard to find. Most of the books just give few lines about Security and then refer you to other books. This book did justice to the topic and provided adequate details for me to now go and get details for specific security features I want to implement.
Liked the format of the book. Starts explanation from a basic level and then gets into more details, but not too much to bore you.
Definitely recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as useful as you'd hope, July 18, 2012
I'm hoping to retract this statement in a few days, but as I read the reviews of this book, I find myself wondering what volume the reviewers have been reading. It's not the volume I've been reading.

I've been surprised and disappointed to find little of practical use in Programming WCF Services.

Every time I have a problem and I turn to this book for guidance, I quite often find that the topic I'm researching isn't even covered. My area in WCF is security, and the security chapter is maddeningly abstract and off the mark. I don't need a lecture on the high-level requirements of various security models, I need to know what to use in WCF to make those models actually work.

There is also a preoccupation with the wonders of his ServiceModelEx that distracts from the task at hand: understanding WCF itself.

I'm hoping I've missed something, and I'm going to try for the third time to dig deep and see what this book has to offer.

However, my first two passes and a variety of task-specific lookups have left me thinking that this book promises a lot more than it delivers.

Seriously, if I suddenly get it on this pass, I'll come back and revise my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars WCF definitive guide, May 4, 2013
Programming WCF Services is the most complete and most practical book about WCF. I've read half dozen of WCF books but Programming WCF Services remains the best one. Why is it that? It's because the book gives you nearly everything you need to know while working with WCF. From service hosting through comprehensive description of service transactions to great coverage of WCF security and messaging services - everything is there, covered in detailed but still readable way. Honestly, no other book goes to such details about transactions, concurrency management or security problems as this one.

But it is not all. Lowy also presents all knowledge in right context, so you don't just learn how to use the technology itself, but you will also understand when to apply it. In fact, there are actually two books in one. One about WCF and one about WCF design patterns accompanied with very helpful author's advices. From design patters, Lowy for instance presents complete implementation of publisher-subscriber pattern or bidirectional MSMQ service. These patterns (and many others) are so well presented, that it helped me to create my own implementation of publisher-subscriber system and many other things.

Even though the book is excellent tool not just for learning but also as a reference, there are few things you must consider before buying it.

1. If you don't have any experience with service programming, you should search for internet tutorials before reading it. The book doesn't contain any Step-by-step examples. It's still possible to understand it, but if you do some tutorials before, you will save some time.

2. The book doesn't contain any working examples. Even downloadable code doesn't contain single runnable service. Lowy everything presents on his own framework, that he developed for his own purposes. It is not bad idea to present samples on framework designed by WCF master, because it can inspire you to create something similar, but if you want to create even the simplest Hello World service, you will have to look for some tutorials. Fortunately WCF service programming is more about configuration than actual programming so it is not hard to create sample services by you.

3. The book doesn't cover WebHttpBinding and non-SOAP services. Also Peer binding or MSMQ integration binding is not covered here.

Lowy's Programming WCF Services is most practical book about WCF. It gives you nearly everything you should know about WCF. If you want to known even more - which is not necessary for most WCF developers, after reading this book look at Justin Smith's Inside WCF, where creation of WCF channels, factories and bindings is covered there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential WCF Knowledge, June 22, 2011
Scooby Down Under (Adelaide, SA Australia) - See all my reviews
Even if you have been using WCF for years, this book has such a good coverage of the subject that blanks in your knowledge will be filled. For us, it also helped us to improve the performance and robustness in our implementations, and is really a MUST HAVE book if using WCF.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very complete book!, June 20, 2011
I use Mr. Lowy's book to teach my WCF classes (in the Netherlands & Belgium). What I like about the book is the incredible amount of details, which makes it an excellent reference book. It took me a little effort to find the accompanying source code files, but once I found them (at [...]), I really liked them as there is a complete sample application to almost every topic mentioned in the book.

There are no exercises or walkthroughs in the book, so I created my own, partly based on the source code files just mentioned.

Visit my site to hire me as a .NET teacher: [...].

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book about core WCF, February 4, 2012
This is the most deffinite book abour core WCF.
But if you are going to find something about REST services implementation on WCF this book not for you.
Author focused mostly on ws* features.

5.0 out of 5 stars WCF on Steroids, December 24, 2010
After having read all of Juval Lowry's MSDN Magazine articles on WCF, I can safely say that he and Michele Bustamante are my definitive sources for my Service Oriented Architectures based on WCF Services.

WCF 4.0 is a monumental improvement over 3.5, and this book finally is for experienced to advanced WCF programmers. He has needed and in-depth coverage of service (especially overloading) and data (including collections) contracts. The advanced topics of concurrency, tranactions, queuing are explicit, and the code examples are excellent. This is also my first foray into Windows Azure AppFabric, and his treatment made me see why this is the future of large-scale SOA. His helper classes (in ServiceModelEx) showed me the quality of his WCF explanations.

Fault management was okay, but I like to include a little more disaster recovery and e-mail notifications of failure in my SOA process architecture where the service needs to be fail safed.

Quite succinctly, this is a great read - over and over again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›