5.0 out of 5 stars Mandoline Slicer
Published on May 31, 2009 by L. Pierce

Published on October 22, 2011 by Angus Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandoline Slicer, May 31, 2009
This review is from: Progressive International HGT-11 Folding Mandoline Slicer (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Kitchen)
Heard about this mandoline from a guy who makes salad frequently. This is ideal. Exceptionally easy to clean, quick to handwash, or pop it in the dishwasher. Offers a good variety of slice thicknesses, plus juliennes; changeout is quick and easy. Storage box is a definite plus. Excellent value for the price. The best part? The blade is really sharp. The worst part? Yeah, the blade is really, really sharp. I find the holder is too awkward to use and actually sliced myself once in the first week because it went so much faster than I expected. Best way to get a stir fry or fajitas done and on the table in top speed, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a great deal, September 15, 2009
I have a full sized mandoline but it does not cut with the ease of the Progressive Mandoline. The first time I cut potatoes for french fries I thought it wasn't cutting because there was no effort to move the potato over the cutting blades. It offers several choices of types of cutting and all are fantastically easy to use. Also the clean up is exceptionally easy. I love the plastic storage box that comes with the slicer. I bought this to put on our motor home, the size, ease of use and clean up, plus the storage container make it a real winner for me. I haven't had a problem, but I've read in other reviews about the need to be careful around the blades as they are very, very sharp. As easy as things are sliced with this slicer, you should take that warning seriously.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fatal Design Flaw Makes this Virtually Useless; Can't Handle Items Over About 5 Inches Long, October 22, 2011
This item has one limitation that is so bad that it renders the thing useless. The sliding plane is not open at the back end as with most mandolines. It has a bumper. The entire space from the bumper to the blade is only abut 5 inches, so you can't slice anything longer than 5 inches long. Want to slice an 8 inch zucchini into long planks? Not with this thing. Cut it in half. You can't see the bumper I'm talking about in most of the images, but this image shows what I'm talking about:[Amazon edited out the link to their own image...it is the third image of this item at the top of this page] None of the other highly rated mandolines feature that type of obstruction at the back end. The OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer, the Norpro Mandoline Slicer Grater with Guard, the Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline 6 Piece Set--none of them have this limitation. If you want to make LONG slices of anything, such as squash for a Primal Lasagna, this item will not do the job.

Also, the "extra thin" (the narrowest setting) is not really very thin. I would expect it to be almost shaved, but it was only slightly under 1/8 inch thick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I ever live without one of these?, February 6, 2009
En Sabah Nur (Gulf Shores, AL USA) - See all my reviews
Haven't had this slicer for very long, so I can't comment on blade life but has yet to disappoint. So far have sliced tomatoes, apples and even onions with ease. Can't believe I stuck with using a knife for so long. Changing depth guides is a snap, literally, and I have put in the dishwasher for cleanup with no ill effects. There does seem to be a learning curve with the gripper handle so I rarely use it but be careful as the blade is very sharp obviously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise !, October 30, 2009
Potatoes gratin in minutes. Whipped through a pile of spuds in no time and without heavy pushing. The blades/spacers pop in and out. You have a good variety of thickness options but bot infinite dialed adjustments. I hope the sharpness lasts. The storage box it comes in is handy and makes stage of the pieces convenient and safe. I sliced onions for onion soup (and you KNOW how big a pile that takes). This slicer makes this daunting poject much, much less frightening. So fast, you almost have no time to cry.

Update November 2011. I still love this thing. Extra thin slices of onion or potato or leeks or cucumbers or ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well!, November 14, 2009
I got this after looking around at a few different options. I was skeptical because of the price, but the reviews were good so I gave it a try. Absolutely no problems here! It slices incredibly easy, the different sized inserts are easy to remove and the whole unit is easy to clean. I've sliced cucumbers, potatoes, onions, and carrots so far. I'm glad I got this slicer rather than spending 2 to 10 times as much on another slicer. Buy it, you won't regret it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mandoline Slicer, August 23, 2009
This is a really easy slicer to use. My only concern has been that we have used it primarily for slicing lemons for lemonade and the blade has become dull after only 3 weeks. There is no mention anywhere in the instructions on how to sharpen the blade.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice slicer but gets dull kind of quick, April 12, 2010
The slicer seems a little harder to use then others that I have owned. I bought this because it looked and sounded good based on the product description. Only two stars though because it got dull kind of fast and then it made it a hazard to use because you had to apply a lot of extra force when slicing and your hand could slip and get cut. I think if there was a way to get extra blades that were removable then I would have rated it higher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good kitchen helper, August 6, 2009
It's been 9 months since i'v bought this slicer. It has never disappointed me when i need fast slicing of onions, carrots or any vegetable for that matter. It has reduced my cooking time and i'm very happy with the blade still sharp. I don't use the safe guard that much because it is not that comfortable(for me). You can even cube vegetables if you get the hang of it. Good product overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, April 30, 2009
This is a wonderful mandoline. Very versatile, and it comes with a storage box which makes it very easy to keep together and organized.