Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 30, 2009
My grandmother's for I don't know how long before, I've been using this spinner for over a decade. I eat salad every day and have found this inexpensive little spinner to be quite dependable. Unlike other reviewers, I appreciate the openings in the top and bottom that allow one to run a modest stream of fresh water through rapidly spinning lettuce; I find the result to be very clean and crisp. You do have to be careful not to use excessive force when spinning (like any other spinner). I've also learned NOT to wedge the spinner against the side (or corner) of the sink - this bends the shape and causes the gears to skip and grind and the lid to pop. Like any other tool or appliance, using this spinner correctly will yield better results and avoid problems. So, if you have one, try pressing down on the lid near the spout while spinning and gradually increase the speed. You should be able to spin at high enough speed to quickly dry without any problems.
I actually laughed out loud when I read what some other reviewers had to say (or shout). And, by the way, it seems quite obvious in the photo that the outer bowl has openings around the bottom.
on August 9, 2011
I bought this little spinner for $8 rather than spring for the next price point which was $25. I wanted it to get the greens drier, period. It does that surprisingly well. I don't wash the lettuce in it although I can see that a final squirt of water into the spinner might be indicated at times. I prewash through at least 2 waters in a colander, then shred the lettuce into the basket before spinning on the drainboard (due to holes in the bottom of the outer bowl). It generates enough centrifugal force for greens to be thrown out around the perimeter. Its medium size (8 1/2" diameter; 5" high) takes up less cupboard space; it spins enough lettuce for about 4 servings. For more, spinning in batches will be necessary. It is not difficult to take apart to wash.
Pluses: 1) 1ow price, 2) dries lettuce adequately, 3) medium size.
Minus: 1) feels a bit flimsy; must be fit together just so for gears to engage, 2) not for lettuce storage due to one water intake hole in the top and numerous small drain holes in the bottom.
on July 25, 2009
I've had one of these for a long time and it's finally time for a new one. I'm getting one exactly the same as before.
I especialy like the washer feature. I put the salad in the spinner, run water into the top opening while spinning, then stop the water and spin it dry.
Works great.
on April 20, 2013
For $10, this is a great buy. The delivery was timely. The spinner is not too big ( good for 4-6 people) but does what it supposed to do. The quality is well made, and it is easy to clean. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a workable salad spinner.
on November 10, 2012
This was a replacement for the same exact item that I bought over 10 years prior. On the one I was replacing, the plastic interior basket was starting to fall apart but the exterior was fine. The new one is made much more cheaply - the gears in the top slip *a lot* and doesn't spin smoothly. Luckily, I kept the old one and just swapped out the lid.
on March 8, 2013
I had this salad spinner before but lost it in a move (as in the house mate kept it!) and this was a repurchase. I still adore it and think it makes a huge difference in the way salads taste. Also, for the folks who'd be buying a salad spinner- check out Fit Fruit & Vegetable Wash- it makes all the more difference! My husband has actually come to use both now as even he notices a difference in clean lettuce :)
on December 19, 2013
Priceless little gadget, works extremely well, have spun gobs of lettuce and other veggies in ours and never had a problem whatsoever, never saw a spec of dirt on the leaves afterwards. And it's dishwasher safe, too, with one caveat. The outer parts are hard, white plastic that can withstand heating element exposure in the dishwasher. However, the inner basket, as well as the connecty-wheely sort of gadget under the top lid are both very obviously very lightweight, delicate plastic that would not. Therefore, when our daughter put the basket in the bottom of the dishwasher, naturally it came out all deformed, ruined.

Thus, the wifey just happened upon one of these at a garage sale and bought it. Alas, that one didn't work well, kept skipping gears every few turns like it just wasn't connecting properly so, went on Amazon and bought new again and, just as awesome as our first one!
on June 20, 2015
Other Reviewers: Please review your review! I have a feeling that this product called "Salad Spinner" is not the exact same product that you bought ten or more years ago. This is probably a cheaper plastic knock-off. There are multiple patents on variations of this device, and the original patents have probably all expired, and apparently even the name "Salad Spinner" isn't a trademark.

That said, this device does the trick. It does have the cheapness, gears slipping and high-speed locking that other reviewers mentioned. But it spins the water out much better than the lettuce basket I used to use, whose spinning mechanism was comprised of my shoulder socket and arm muscles.

But I don't expect years of trouble-free use. It's only 13 bucks, after all. I believe you can safely give a "Not Helpful" click on those reviews that don't claim to have bought this device on Amazon recently.
on March 8, 2014
We have owned this spinner for several years (found it at a big box store for $5!), and had to buy a replacement because we couldn't find our old one after we moved. A sad day, indeed. This is a very simple spinner with a geared wheel to spin the basket, an opening on top for running water onto the basket contents while spinning, and vents on the bottom to drain the water. YES, you have to spin this over the sink! What the bleep is the big deal about that? You get to thoroughly rinse your salad - how awful! And this spinner does dry the lettuce. After you turn off the water, just spin it a bit more and, voila! Maybe other users of this spinner don't spin their salads fast enough? I don't know, and care not to speculate about the potential causes of inadequate salad spinning. That's a whole other debate...
on October 16, 2015
This may be the least expensive but it is an essential tool in my kitchen. It cleans and drys greens as well as fruits. I also use it to wash dry beans as well as canned to remove the starchy liquid and excess salt. Being able to run water through the opening at the top allows for thorough rinsing while the handle allows for spinning in both directions to both wash and then dry. Well worth the money. Have owned one for over three years and purchased this one as a gift. The recipient is 'hooked' on it too.

See 1 answered question