Top positive review
21 people found this helpful
A Fine Pair of Ice Stick Makers...
on July 12, 2011
The flexible ice trays offered by Progressive International are not bad at all. What we have here is a set of 2 trays made of flexible silicone/rubber. This set contains both pros and cons about owning, however in the end it is a worth while investment.
They trays you get are made of a very flexible silicone/rubber material. It does not have a chemical smell to it, and produces 8 molds a piece (16 sticks in total).
- set of 2 for a total of 16 sticks.
- flexible material makes for extremely easy removal of the ice sticks(Can easily remove the sticks individually)
- sticks are thick enough to last a while in a bottle of water
- material is durable, thus will last a long time + will not crack after constant use
- MACHINE WASHABLE (top row)
- Trays are too flexible you could say. Filling them up and transporting to freezer is a recipe for disaster (**A simple solution to this problem is listed below**)
- First few batches of sticks had a "strange taste" about them... a faint taste of plastic. This was even after washing them before use. *Plastic taste was gone by the 3rd use of the tray and has not returned
For the price you get two high quality flexible ice stick trays. The sticks fit perfectly for a large variety of water bottles, and they last for a decent amount in a drink. The plastic after taste was very faint and quickly went away after a few uses. To be safe I would probably discard the initial batch you make with each tray(Better to be safe than sorry). Other than the initial after taste and above average difficulty in moving the tray(once filled with water), the trays perform as advertised. I would give the product 4 stars.
**NOTE: For an easier time making the ice sticks, rather than fill the tray up at the sink and move it to the freeze, bring the water to the freezer!
- Place Ice tray where you want it in the freezer.
- Get a squeeze bottle(like a condiment bottle for ketchup) or simply a cup of water. Just fill the tray up while it rests in the freezer.
This way you avoid having to carry the tray(s) to the freezer and risk the flexible tray from wobbling all over the place.