Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Progressive International PLIR-3 Set of 2 Ice Sticks Flexible Ice Trays
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on September 26, 2010
We purchased 2 sets of these to replace the smaller silicone ice tube trays sold here at Amazon a couple years ago, they are not listed here anymore. We wanted replacements because the first ones were quite small and wiggly and spilled alot carrying them to the freezer. These Progressive Int'l trays looked to be just the ticket. Our fault was believing that when we typed in the search for silicone ice tube trays we would see only silicone ice tube trays. These came up in the search and looked great, got them, unpacked them, noticed a bad plastic-y rubber-y odor; our original small ones had no odor. I washed them several times but could not eliminate the odor, not just unpleasant odor but it seemed to be getting more and more foul the more I washed them. So I am on Amazon looking for the old smaller type trays and they can not be found, so I decide to write a review for these. I read through the ad again and to my surprise and shame-on-me, these are not silicone! The ad only refers to them as flexible ice tube trays and plastic and rubber are both flexible, but plastic and rubber or latex words are not in the description anywhere either so I do not know the true materials that theses are made from. When the foul taste of the ice cubes came out of the foul smelling trays I pitched them to the trash. The ice cubes themselves tasted bad and once they started melting in our water bottles the water began to taste tainted. Too bad because these tray are bigger and sturdier and make bigger ice tubes that will still fit into Sigg and Klean Kanteen bottles. I can not find any that say 100% silicone ice tube trays to fit in water bottles! Where to look now? Amazon always has everything we are looking for. No luck today though but will keep coning back to check.
11 comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2011
The flexible ice trays offered by Progressive International are not bad at all. What we have here is a set of 2 trays made of flexible silicone/rubber. This set contains both pros and cons about owning, however in the end it is a worth while investment.

They trays you get are made of a very flexible silicone/rubber material. It does not have a chemical smell to it, and produces 8 molds a piece (16 sticks in total).

PROS
- set of 2 for a total of 16 sticks.
- flexible material makes for extremely easy removal of the ice sticks(Can easily remove the sticks individually)
- sticks are thick enough to last a while in a bottle of water
- material is durable, thus will last a long time + will not crack after constant use
- MACHINE WASHABLE (top row)

CONS
- Trays are too flexible you could say. Filling them up and transporting to freezer is a recipe for disaster (**A simple solution to this problem is listed below**)
- First few batches of sticks had a "strange taste" about them... a faint taste of plastic. This was even after washing them before use. *Plastic taste was gone by the 3rd use of the tray and has not returned

OVERALL
For the price you get two high quality flexible ice stick trays. The sticks fit perfectly for a large variety of water bottles, and they last for a decent amount in a drink. The plastic after taste was very faint and quickly went away after a few uses. To be safe I would probably discard the initial batch you make with each tray(Better to be safe than sorry). Other than the initial after taste and above average difficulty in moving the tray(once filled with water), the trays perform as advertised. I would give the product 4 stars.

**NOTE: For an easier time making the ice sticks, rather than fill the tray up at the sink and move it to the freeze, bring the water to the freezer!
- Place Ice tray where you want it in the freezer.
- Get a squeeze bottle(like a condiment bottle for ketchup) or simply a cup of water. Just fill the tray up while it rests in the freezer.

This way you avoid having to carry the tray(s) to the freezer and risk the flexible tray from wobbling all over the place.
on July 24, 2008
Finally an easier way to get ice into your Sigg Bottle!!! We have tried cheaper trays and none of them fit into the Sigg bottle opening and some of them were too flimsy! As a mom of two boys (three if you count my husband :-) it took too long to try to fill all of our Sigg bottles with crushed ice (we had to do crushed since the cubes from the fridge were impossible). The crushed ice would go all over the place! What a mess!!!! This is a wonderful solution for getting ice into all of your Sigg bottles!

Sigg got this right - easy to fill, comes out easily and fits! You will love this product!
on June 24, 2010
The skinny shaped ice keeps your beverage cold all day if you have an isulated cuzie over your canteen. If you put your tray in the freezer and then pour the water in tray with a cup while it's in the freezer, you won't end up with water all over trying to transport water filled tray into the freezer.
on June 28, 2011
The trays are too floppy to put in your freezer alone. I tried them with water and they make pretty cool ice cubes but I had to place them on a cookie sheet and then in the freezer. Even then the water poured out a bit onto the sheet. I will have to clear off an entire shelf so I do not have to try balancing them.

My intended use is to freeze breast milk in them and then place them in a ziplock bag for long term storage. This will eliminate the need for expensive bags and the square design will allow them to take up less space in my freezer and I can place them in a bottle pretty easily. I see the problem with trying to place several in the same bottle... still should be better and less expensive than the alternative.

I will likely purchase at least one more set so I can have a good production line going since the cubes are approximately 3/4"x3/4"x4" and each is probably about 1 oz. It took approximately 1 hour for the cubes to freeze in my freezer.
on September 10, 2010
After ordering a Hydro Flask (which I am very satisfied with), I wanted to get an ice cube tray that would make ice cubes that would fit, Considering my bad experiences with traditional trays (cracking, aftertaste, or both.) I decided that I would give a silicone set a try.

They're going back. They have two glaring issues:

1) They are not thick enough. They could be made slightly thicker (to the point where water won't cause them to buckle and spill water everywhere unless you half fill it) or have some sort of tray to go underneath. This comes with neither.

2) After washing multiple times, a bad taste persisted. I washed other ice cube trays (traditional) and they made ice without taste fine. To confirm I wasn't nuts, I had three friends try the ice and all three noticed the bad taste.

I'd tolerate the first, but the second is unacceptable to me. As such, I'm returning them. I will probably end up ordering the official ice tray directly from Hydro Flask instead.
on August 17, 2012
easy to remove the ice sticks. BUT these are so flexible that the only way to transfer the tray with water from sink to fridge is by carrying it on a plate. ALSO if you fill a section more than half full the stick will most likely not fit thru the top of a standard water bottle.
on August 25, 2013
I ordered these to use as crayon molds. After checking on their website, I knew they weren't silicone, which is fine with me, though as others have noted, they do have a funny smell. The crayons turned out okay, though it was a little hard to turn them out of the mold. They also left a wax residue that adhered to whatever material the trays are made of, which I haven't been able to fully scour off yet. I'll continue to use them as crayon molds, but I don't think I'd ever order a set to use as ice cube trays.
on August 18, 2014
A little difficult to get out of the tray once fully frozen. Extraction involves a lot of wrangling. My biggest issue was that these trays have hardly any rigidity to them, they were very "flop-sy". The walk from the sink to the freezer was filled with much water spillage. They also do not "stack" very well. Often freezing in certain places to one another. Besides those things, YES, they are very well suited to adding to bottled water and I assume they would fit into ANY bottle neck! Even the smaller ones like Nestle Pure Life and the bulk ones from CostCo/Kirkland.
on June 5, 2014
I bought these trays to fill up my water bottle and narrow 'Swell bottle. Once I fill them up, which seems awkward because they are too flexible and flimsy that the water spills out. By the time I reach the freezer most of the water has spilled out! It would be a better product if it was a bit more sturdier. My trick is to use both trays filled, stack them together and carefully put them in the freezer.
Pro: once I manage to make some ice sticks they come out very easily and fit into narrow mouth bottles.