Metal Evolution 1 Season 2012
Amazon Instant Video
1. Pre-Metal Tracing the origins of metal is a phantasmagoric odyssey that traverses cities and countries, oceans and continents. From Memphis' Sun Studio to The Kinks in England.
2. Early Metal Part 1: US Division Darker, heavier music in the sounds of Steppenwolf and Blue Cheer. Followed by the inspired and inspiring sound of Kiss and Aerosmith. Van Halen begins a decade's worth of dominance for the uniquely party hardy metal of America.
3. Early Metal Part 2: UK Division Pouncing on the power of heavy metal, bands such as Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Trapeze and Slade were crafting their own loud sounds in response to the bleak industrial environment of Britain's Midlands.
4. New Wave of British Heavy Metal Heavy metal was now boldly out of the closet, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Saxon, Raven and Def Leppard seethed out of the gates with fast, technical, uncompromising metal music, building a fanatical, energized movement.
5. Glam Purveyors of glam such as Bon Jovi, Cinderella and Quiet Riot will divulge their side of the story, revealing the attitudes, influences and decisions which guided them during those days of rampant excess on L.A.'s sunset strip.
6. Thrash Next in the evolution of Metal comes a virulent strain called thrash, with the likes of Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax wreaking vengeance on hook and melody through a rhythmic discipline executed at breakneck tempos topped by harshly barked vocals.
7. Grunge While grunge was enjoying its meteoric rise, replacing the MTV face of Metal that was glam with its own brand of telegenic, easy to digest "rebellion," diehards within the Metal community struggled to adjust.
8. Nu Metal Sam Dunn chronicles the rise and fall of nu metal; starting with pivotal acts Rage Against The Machine, Faith No More and Tool and continuing to pioneering nu metal artists like Korn and Deftones.
9. Shock Rock Starting with the ringmaster of mayhem himself, Alice Cooper, we visit a world of guillotines and gallows, electrocutions and sorcery. We'll then learn how NYC's Kiss dethroned Cooper by taking spectacle one giant leap forward.
10. Power Metal Sam runs into his old friend Ronnie James Dio, who guides him into the fantastical world of power metal, where masculine tales of heroism and epic battles, dragon-slaying and sorcery, burn into the the imaginations of young men.
11. Progressive Metal A genre that takes root with the likes of Rush in the '70s, Queensryche and Fates Warning in the '80s, and Dream Theater in the '90s. Since then, the genre has exploded with creativity, spawning mind-bending, genre-defying acts.
|Genres||Reality TV, Documentary|
|Starring||David Bottrill, Terry Brown|
|Supporting actors||Bill Bruford, Peter Collings, Brann Dailor, Chris De Garmo, Sam Dunn, Jerry Ewing, Michael Giles, Tomas Haake, Steve Hackett, Kirk Hammett, Matt Jacobson, Bill Kelliher, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Derek Oliver, Neil Peart, John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy|
|Purchase rights||Stream instantly and download to 2 locations Details|
|Format||Amazon Instant Video (streaming online video and digital download)|
grew up on classic rock. Was never much of a metalhead, although I did like some of the early bands like deep purple and black Sabbath. Read morePublished 9 days ago by Mike Peters
Really enjoyed watching this DVD goes into great detail on the various different styles and influences that made metal what it is todayPublished 28 days ago by maureen benfer
Fantastic series. I caught a couple episodes on VH-1, and was impressed enough to purchase. I just love Rockumentries.Published 1 month ago by Clark
Great DVD for the rock and roll metal fans. Love it and the quality of the disc are great, arrived as expected and on time.Published 2 months ago by S. C.
I guess true metal heads can much better assess this, but for someone like me who doesn't know a whole lot about the genre itself, it's very good as a "starter kit. Read morePublished 7 months ago by JP
My brother wanted this movie. Not sure if it is good or not due to I had never heard of it before. He was happy to get it though.Published 14 months ago by Annette S. Gast
This is by far the most thorough Documentary I've seen on the history of Heavy Metal. It's broken down into each us catagory and explains how each happened. I own this baby. Read morePublished 14 months ago by Djrider