Published 22 months ago by Sandra Trolinger

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother - this stuff is awful.
Published 12 months ago by The Dinner Diva

5.0 out of 5 stars Creamy rich tasting sauce that leaves canned soup in the dust, September 1, 2012
I bought this today at Target with a coupon and decided to try it out for dinner tonight. There is a recipe on the can to try out but I made my own by combining seasoned ground beef, the can of Progresso recipe starter, salt/pepper, cooked egg noodles, parsley, sour cream, cheddar cheese, Worcetershire sauce, onion and bell pepper. It tasted great as the mushroom sauce was rich and creamy with small pieces of mushroom that weren't overwhelming. It blended easily and one can was enough for the casserole I prepared. I will definitely use this sauce again and cannot wait to try other flavors!

5.0 out of 5 stars Progresso Recipe Starters Cooking Sauce, Creamy Portabella Mushroom, September 10, 2013
Very hard to find in the stores we love the mushroom recipe starters. We prefer it over the cream of mushroom soups now, this is creamer and not as salty!

5.0 out of 5 stars Progresso Recipe Starters, October 19, 2012
I just used one of these Progresso Recipe Starter cans last night and it turned out awesome! I used the Creamy Portabella Mushroom one and followed the recipe on the can (substituting mushrooms, carrots and celery for the meat), spooning it over whole grain elbow noodles. We are eating the leftovers tonight and it's still really, REALLY good! I will be trying the other flavors as well. The best part? It all went in one skillet!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother - this stuff is awful., June 19, 2013
I tried Progresso Recipe Starters Creamy Portabella Mushroom for dinner tonight. I had ground beef and wanted to make ground beef stroganoff. I followed the directions on the can and used ground beef instead of steak strips. The sauce itself from the can has no flavor whatever. I added thyme, extra mushrooms and some seasoned salt - it didn't do much to help. The sauce doesn't taste good in and of itself so you have to add so much to make it palatable it's not worth it considering the cost of the can of Recipe Starter. I was trying for something a little more sophisticated than plain Cream of Mushroom soup for a sauce but this missed the mark completely. I should have gone with the Campbells Cream of Mushroom instead. We are camping and this was for a quick dinner but didn't turn out that way. I usually make my sauces from scratch and am not much for pre-packaged foods and things of this type but while camping I thought it would be okay to cut corners - what could it hurt? Do yourself a favor and avoid this stuff - unless you like bland, tinny tasting stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best, August 28, 2013
This is the best way to put together a great sauce for any use.ITS totally great for Raviolis Its just a mew way to create your own sauce

4.0 out of 5 stars Progresso recipe starters, August 13, 2013
I bought this product because the boxed meal is no longer available and my family loved the Creamy Basil Parmesan boxed meal. The soup starter is similiar and the recipe on the can is helpful. But I had to add my own seasonings to attempt to recreate the boxed meal. It's not the same, but it was tasty.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a "starter" sauce, November 5, 2013
This is a "Starter" sauce. Of course you have to add a lot of other ingredients! I usually use cheese, cream, add chicken, mushrooms, artichoke hearts. Dinner in 30 minutes! Yum! You can buy a starter sauce from Williams Sonoma for 10x more ($16) if that is what you want, shop there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and Easy Meal, happy family, September 22, 2012
This review is from: Progresso Recipe Starters Cooking Sauce, Creamy Roasted Garlic with Chicken Broth, 18-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12) (Grocery)
I am a bzzagent, and I received a can in the mail to test out. I was excited to try the Progresso Recipe Starters Sauce in the flavor of Garlic. This sauce has a chicken broth base and has endless possibilities. I decided to make a chicken breast dish with broccoli and winter butternut squash.

I had my husband peel and cut up a large butternut squash and cube into large pieces. Once those were finished, I put them in a large pot with salted and buttered water to cook until very soft. I drained the water out of the pot and used a potato mashed and prepared like home style mashed potatoes. I left some chunks of the squash for a nice texture. I added 2 tbs of Philadelphia cream cheese to the mashed squash (spreadable kind). I taste tested the squash and it was amazing. I turned the burner on low to keep this warm.

Now on to the chicken.

I started out with a pan with some butter and oil. I butterflied the thawed chicken breast and added some salt and a ground pepper spice seasoning (mixed spices) and one third of the Garlic Cream sauce. I cooked the chicken until it was golden and well marinated in the spices. I added a small serving of steamed broccoli (leftover from the previous day) to the pan to garnish the chicken and add a splash of color. I added about 5 tbs of crushed canned pineapple.

When the chicken was finished and had soaked up the delicious flavors of the garlic pineapple sauce and seasonings, I added another 1/3 of the can of sauce to the chicken. (the last 1/3 I was able to save in a air tight container to enjoy the next day--perhaps to use as a base with chicken broth for a soup for lunch.

I plated the chicken and poured the garlic pineapple sauce on top. I added some warmed crushed pineapple on top of the chicken breast and added a few pieces of broccoli. I plated the mashed butternut squash.

This was a very easy and delicious meal. I served this to my husband and our 19 month old daughter (hers was cut up appropriately as a finger food to prevent choking).

I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the garlic sauce, as I am not a fan of garlic. This sauce was delicious and not overpowering with garlic. I would try this again with another recipe/dish in the near future. This particular sauce would be a great base for many soups and a variety of meals. I highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars I use this s*** in everything!, March 20, 2014
I love love love this sauce! I have the best cajaun alfredo that I make with it, and it's ALWAYS a huge hit! I shared some with our office staff and they loved it too. Here goes.

Sautee frozen peppers and onions in olive oil, garlic minced or powdered, Italian seasoning.
add sliced chicken breast and sliced Andouille sausage
sauté until all is nicely caramelized.

Add a can of Progresso Parmesan Basil, 3 shakes of onion powder, a little adobo seasoning, and either a "Pinch of Cajun" spice or Chipotle seasoning to taste
simmer
add the whole can of diced tomato's, juice and all.

Now add 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, shredded, sliced, shaved, it doesn't matter.

Mix well, allow to simmer together while your choice of pasta cooks. I've used bowtie, angle hair, and fettuccini noodles.

The whole process should take about 40- minutes to prepare and cook.

Allow the completed sauce to stand for about 5 minutes for thickening, and it will!

pour over pasta, rice, whatever you want. It's freakin delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Add bacon!, December 28, 2013
Our local grocery store stopped selling these. the price was reasonable. I love adding pan fried bacon pieces to this soup. it's a good low carb meal.

Rate and Discover Movies