Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange

on August 15, 2012
I bought the blu ray after seeing this film on a transatlantic flight and embarrassing myself silly by laughing out loud (which I just don't do on a plane). I could so identify with these losers as I was one, too in high school (I grew up well-adjusted and happy, thank you). I didn't like the Hangover yet I love this. Why? The directorial style: It just feels so much more natural and unforced; there's a sense of immediacy. And the three unknown leads are simply terrific and likable. And never have I felt I was at a party in any film as I feel it with this one (this really kicks in with the blu ray 5.1 surround sound). Yes, the story gets outrageous near the end but that was also the fun of it. The film has absolutely no moral or redemptive value (the music is so sexist but so very right for the film), yet there was something about it that made me feel like a teen again!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2012
Project X is not a 5-star movie. I'm sorry for giving it the highest rating a product can receive on amazon. However, let me explain my case so you don't think there's something wrong with me. I've seen *countless* teen party movies over the years and NONE of them are entertaining at all. They are nothing more than filler and a waste of movie space.

Project X... FINALLY, a party movie that actually lives up to the hype! These teens are on a mission to create the absolute biggest, baddest party ever designed. They of course, are interested in sex, being cool and just being really rowdy, however what happens is that this party eventually spins *completely* out of control. As the movie rolls along, you will probably be sitting there totally amazed at just how many creative ways this party turns into pure insanity.

Seriously, you will never want to see another party film involving teenagers ever again because this one set out to accomplish every single nook and cranny you can possibly provide and make it MUCH better than all the rest. It makes all the rest no longer relevant, in fact. It really works. I don't even want to spoil any of the ways these teens get into trouble and what they do. They go from the uncoolest kids in school to the coolest in one night, that's for sure. Alright alright, I'll spoil one moment. While the one teen is talking to his father upstairs on the phone and assuring his father that everything's alright at home and that he's not causing any trouble whatsoever, a huge explosion occurs right outside the window!

It's hilarious because the entire time I was wondering how the kids would clean up by morning so their parents wouldn't find out what happened. None of that even matters and you'll find out why, haha.

It's rowdy, offensive, provides plenty of swearing and nudity, and it's completely inappropriate for children. However, for one 80-minute movie and a night of adrenaline-pumping fun, I recommend purchasing (or renting, if you understandably don't trust my words) what will forever be, the king of party films.
on October 8, 2012
For those who've written bad reviews stating this film had no redeeming value or in no way left you feeling educated or as if you had learned something...well, you're absolutely right; however, there is one problem with that notion...IT WASN'T MEANT TO! The trailers and advertisements for this film stated it was about a high school party that turned epic, then got out of control. This movie delivered on every level what it promised. I didn't walk away feeling I had learned how to cope with life better or osmotically learned a new level of responsibility. Instead, I remembered (and felt!) exactly what it was like oh-so-many years ago in high school...especially senior year.

This movie was an extended metaphor of my life senior year. I WAS the main character. I could not believe the similarities! I, too, was an invisible kid until that Friday night when a few of my friends made me throw a party after my parents had gone out of town for the weekend. I, too, wanted only 10 or 15 people. I didn't end up with 1500, but I think about 60-70 seems about right. In a respected neighborhood with nose-over-the-fences neighbors, I had people puking in the front and back yards. Christmas ornaments and cups of Screwdrivers being sucked up by a nozzled-vacuum cleaner. Potted plants being thrown inside my house. My dog was stoned and ate half the dish of peanut butter balls we had given up on. PJ cups strewn all over the place (as well as people - and clothes - for that matter). Strip Pool, strip poker, Beer Pong, Naked Jell-O Twister (I copy-writed that...don't steal it Mattel or whomever), and Insane Rules Mortal Kombat. I also hooked up with a girl I previously had been too shy and worthless to try for. I was even run over by a car (somehow was not injured)!

But God it was seemingly the greatest (or most fun) night of my life back then. I had people coming up to me I didn't know and had never seen saying how great a time they had, and people shouting "Killer party dude!" Luckily, though, I had a couple days to clean and some true friends to help me do so and somehow we pulled it off masterfully. But the point is this: this film allowed me to go back and recapture all of that. It helped me forget about my present obstacles for the time being. I don't feel there is anything wrong with that when, of course, taken into perspective. If anyone were to say, "Well this movie's going to make teenage Johnny go and try to throw the same party..." wrong...he was already planning it. In fact, this may have helped him avoid a few mistakes, broken laws, and injuries, even. So maybe it did have some "redeeming value." But if not, it had qualitative value in that it took spending only a few bucks and giving up an hour or so of my time to let me feel that night again...and I thank this movie very much for that!
on January 13, 2013
I dont usually like teen movies....but this one sure made me laugh.......actually I bought two copiesI dont usually like teen movies....but this one sure made me laugh.......actually I bought two copies
TOP 50 REVIEWERon April 4, 2014
Crude, ridiculous, impossible, nasty, and completely impossible - and I thought it was funny. Project X is a much better film than the raunch factor would suggest.

This film is better than a lot of others in this genre because it toys with POV. The twist is that we watch the film through the camera eyes of Dax (and occasionally other handheld cameras). Oh the acting is bad a lot of the time. The film drags really badly in the middle. And the jokes are all predictable - yes of course there is a bouncy house just so we can see girls jump up and down.

I laughed hard, especially the first fifteen minutes and about three quarters of the way through. Don't expect any socially redeeming good in this film. It is a nasty raunchy dirty joke.
on October 21, 2014
This movie redefines the famous line from Anchorman: "Boy, that escalated quickly."
on February 18, 2014
All i can really say is its just insane! If you are looking to watch a movie that is strictly about insane amounts of partying then this is the movie just for you. Explosions, music, tons of liquor, and a whole lot of stupid humor this movie is for you, if you like all of that stuff!
on January 29, 2015
Was better and funnier then I thought
on November 9, 2015
Hollywood bases way too much of its success around trends. No one can fault them, because trends sell extremely well. We’ve got our vampires, our sequels, our prequels, our threequels and of course, our Liam Neeson vehicles (none of which are that good). So who can blame them for taking two of today’s most prominent fads and smashing them together to create Project X? Not me, because the mixture of home video style shooting and raunchy, party comedy actually works, for the most part.
Whenever a film comes packaged with the name Todd Phillips, it’s pretty easy to know what it will deliver: babes, booze and belly laughs. Even though he’s only serving as producer this time around, handing the reins over to newcomer Nima Nourizadeh, Project X easily delivers on all three. The handheld camera style immerses the audience in the party of the decade, and it is definitely an insane experience.
The story behind the party isn’t any different than the story behind any other party: Thomas (Thomas Mann) and his friends Costa (Oliver Cooper) and J.B. (Jonathan Daniel Brown) decide to throw a huge blowout while Thomas’ parents are out of town for their anniversary. They have a silent classmate come along to record the whole thing, and BAM! We have a movie.
But who needs some deep, convoluted plot when there’s a party this huge filling the screen? In the vein of films like Superbad and The Hangover, Project X takes advantage of the simplicity of a party and runs with it. The situations that arise from the set-up are priceless, ranging from a crazed drug dealer to a hilarious security team that takes things way too seriously. The whole films is like a Where’s Waldo? of parties, with every shot containing something interesting if not downright hysterical to look at.
The cast does an excellent job of creating a realistic feeling to their relationships. Mann, Cooper and Brown all have their own individual moments, but when they’re together, they play off each other organically. Even Costa, who is the perfect caricature of the pressuring, lovable best friend, has his moments of genuine sweetness. These moments of connection between all of the leads gives Project X a human nature that keeps the film (and the party) lighthearted throughout.
And what a party it is! Halfway through the film, the characters disappear for a bit, leaving a space of a few minutes that is filled with shots of everybody doing their thing, and it’s amazing. This is the party that people wish their school had; the kind of party that is created when hungover versions of the night before pass through the lips of too many people. Although Project X has its faults (we’ll get there in a second), the atmosphere of the party couldn’t be more perfect.
But, of course, the movie stumbles a bit like the partiers it follows. The whole handheld camera gimmick, while used successfully for the most part, starts to feel fake once the party gets into full swing. There are almost impossible shots of the party that make it hard to believe there was just one guy filming the whole thing. Of course, other cameras are used, but the jumps are just a bit too much to believe.
VINE VOICEon June 24, 2013
It's kind of like `Superbad' meets `Cloverfield', this high octane teen party film is laced with redundancy and offers up a moral that feels extremely falsified and yet it is extremely entertaining, which is all it ever really tries to be. With the clichéd shaky cam in toe and a slew of wannabe actors who have no qualms with taking off their tops and romping around with booze in hand, `Project X' promises the audience a sweaty good time, and for all intents and purposes, that is what we get. Sadly, there is a lot of redundancy to be found here. The party scenes (or scene since it lasts the entirety of the movie) has a lot of similar shots, and while havoc ensues to varying degrees, and the end is just a mind blow of crazy, I found myself wanting to hit fast-forward through many parts of the movie.

The film circles around a birthday party for Thomas (who is turning 17) at his home by him and his buddies while Thomas's parents are out of town. The party is an attempt by Thomas's friend Costa to be popular. Things get way out of hand, Thomas's parents' house gets destroyed, the neighbors call the cops, a midget punches a bunch of people in the nether regions and some crazed lunatic burn's Thomas's house down. In the meantime, a lot of booze is drunk, loud rap music pumps through your home stereo system and tops galore are tossed to the wayside.

The cast is a whos who of nobody you've ever heard of before (aside from Miles Teller who is here briefly), but it doesn't matter. They don't have to do anything of substance. They just drink and dance and cheer. The end result is a bit of a mess. I like how the film practically turns itself into a horror movie but the idea projected that this party was a GOOD idea in the long run is a shame and kind of proves that mindless entertainment like this really has no reason to be made.

That said, I semi-enjoyed myself.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse