5.0 out of 5 stars Great Writing Style!, April 5, 2013
MsPeaPod (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Projecting X: How to Forecast Baseball Player Performance (Kindle Edition)
I loved reading this book. Mike Podhorzer's writing style is both informative and funny and made it a joy to read. His knowledge of baseball is quite impressive and he explained his spreadsheets in a very easy to understand way. I recommend Projecting X to any fantasy sports fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Starting Point, December 1, 2013
Todd Moffett "todd_moffett" (Las Vegas, Nevada United States) - See all my reviews
This book is great for casual fans like me who do not have a huge background in statistics but know enough to noodle around with a spreadsheet. It's insightful to see just which stats the author has chosen to use in his projection system--not the typical old-school stats at all. It's also interesting to see how he has laid out the spreadsheet so that we can plug in the numbers. The drawback is that all numbers have to be plugged in manually, one stat at a time, one player at a time. If I wanted to do a comparison of, say, ten different third basemen, I would have to key in all of the individual stats for each player, a time-consuming chore. If I knew more about data entry, I could perhaps figure out a faster way to bring the necessary stats into the spreadsheet, but again, I'm a casual fan. All in all, though, a helpful piece of reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise and informative, October 24, 2013
Enjoyable read for those looking to learn the predictive values of baseball. Great tutorial on creating your own projections using Excel. Will be recommending this to anyone who will listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting introduction, August 7, 2013
I am someone who is interested in the new waves of statistical analysis in baseball, but not overly familiar with it. This book does a fair job of placing itself between the clueless (like me) and e more highly initiated.

4.0 out of 5 stars complete projection system, February 7, 2014
Includes instruction on building a comprehensive spreadsheet and tips on projecting player performance. Your fantasy baseball preparations will be taken to a new level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written, January 10, 2014
Podhorzer writes that projecting baseball player stats is both an art and a science. I agree with this, and that's why I personally have always liked to do my own player projections, rather than just relying on systems such as PECOTA and others that are out there. Those systems only provide the "science", and are one size fits all. But to provide the necessary "art", I feel you need to take your own look at each player.
This book gives a very good explanation of what factors to consider when trying to project various stats. It is concise, which is good...but also tells you where to look if you want more details on a particular subject.
The explanation of how to set this all up in Excel is also very helpful, especially for tech-challenged people like me.