5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, well made, instructions are wrong
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:38 Mins
The cap holds onto the front of my lens just fine. If it should pop off I'm still out far less than the cost of the more expensive models. Also, I haven't seen any difference between this cap and the more expensive versions in properly setting white balance. That is, if you use it correctly...

The only issue I have is with the...
Published 19 months ago by Bob Tobias

2.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect
I've been shooting professionally for about 10 years now and I thought I'd give this product a try since it was only $12 shipped. I had the $100 expodisc, but I lost it at a wedding. The expodisc worked perfectly but at $100 it was expensive.

Published 21 months ago by Sai Saelee

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, well made, instructions are wrong, February 3, 2013
This review is from: Promaster SystemPro 77mm White Balance Lens Cap (Electronics)
Length:: 0:38 Mins

The only issue I have is with the instructions. They are both brief, essentially one sentence, and wrong.

Here's what they say: "...point your camera at your subject and activate your cameras white balance feature."

Here's what they should say: "...stand with the subject, point your camera to where your camera will be when you take the picture, and activate your cameras white balance feature."

Please see my attached video for a demonstration of the difference. While the example used may seem a bit... pathological, it's analogous to photographing a bride standing in a grassy field. I just didn't happen to have either a bride or a grassy field handy in my office when I made the video.

The point is you want to take the white balance reading of the light that is hitting your subject, not that light after its been reflected back to your camera. If you follow the instructions provided all you're doing is duplicating the camera's built in auto white balance function.

Turns out there are lots of times where it doesn't make that much difference and lot more where the difference is barely noticeable. Where this comes in handy is where either the color needs to be dead on or the lighting situation is one such as I have described.

What's so good about this lens cap is that it costs about as much as a lens cap and gives you the ability to take accurate white balance readings when you want without needing additional equipment.

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE it! It could stay on a bit better, though., November 25, 2011
You can't beat this for the price! Custom WB is a breeze with this and I no longer have to worry about carrying around a grey card. The color on my photos has been fantastic with this! I've already sent a couple dozen other photogs in search of this and all their feedback has been equally as positive. The only negative thing I can say about this cap is that it could stay on a bit better. I often find it laying at the bottom of my camera bag. That said, I do have a filter on my lens, which may make it a more difficult "fit"

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Needed, September 3, 2012
I don't know how the $100 white balance caps do, but this one appears to do it's job perfectly. I purchased the largest size to match with my largest lens. When using with my smaller lens I just hold it and it's great, saves on needing to have multiple caps. White balance seems to be corrected nicely in comparison with a grey card, and this cap is simply easier for me to use then a grey card. Great purchase for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., November 18, 2012
This cap fit snugly on my Nikon f2.8 24-70.

I am a professional photographer, and shoot mostly fine art/boudoir, fashion, and lifestyle.

This cap makes quick work of setting the white balance. If you are doing professional work, especially photographs including people, you do need to know the limitations....

I find that when combining strobes/speed lights with ambient indoor lighting...where there are also different kinds of indoor lights being used, the results are acceptable, especially flesh tones, but must be adjusted in post. However, I would recommend using a WB card in this situation to really get it right...especially if you are a professional jpeg shooter...and have the time for a card reading. If you don't...you can't beat this white balance cap as a time saver.

If lighting is consistent, like outdoors, the cap is great and IMHO, gives professional results. Even indoors works well if continuously lit by the same kind of lights.

All in all, I would say get both the card and this white balance cap. The cap will allow you to shave valuable time off a normal card reading. And...I know with my Nikon D800...I can take a while balance reading faster with this cap than I can by setting it using the general menu settings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Promaster Lens Cap, April 6, 2013
This is simply another tool in the toolbox when it comes to adjusting White Balance. It works OK if you can figure out how to use it. I believe the instructions that come with it are incorrect. If you follow them you would be measuring ambient light instead of the light falling on the subject of the photo. One would wish to measure the light source, not the light around the subject and that is how I employ it. I like having some options, this is one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well, April 4, 2013
As long as you use it properly, it does a good job. Make sure that you go to where your subject actually is and point the camera BACK to where you will be standing when you take a photo. If you don't do that, the lighting may not be the same which will throw off your white balance (making it a bit blueish in my testing). It's the same as using an expodisc, light meter, or gray card...you still have to go to where you the subject is and point back to where you will be for accuracy. Simply pointing it at the subject is only going to give you a white balance based on the reflected light (why your camera doesn't always get it right in the first place), so you've not really done yourself any good.

I keep this and a small set of gray cards (white/black/gray) in my bag. Invaluable tools for proper color reproduction, and can be a HUGE time saver when you remember to use it.

I don't own an expodisc though I may buy one in the future to try it out. I went with this because it was cheap, and a very good piece to see if I wanted to continue with gray cards or move to filters like this. No regrets using this so far, haven't tried it with flash lighting just yet, but I don't think it'd be a problem.

Kei

5.0 out of 5 stars White Balance Lense Cap, April 11, 2012
Promaster's white balance lense cap could not be simpler and easier to use. Follow your camera's user manual for doing custom white balance set up, presto, its done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, April 5, 2013
I never could bring myself to spending the money for the Expodisc. I tried this product and it worked so well, I ordered 3 more so each lens has its own cap. I have a Canon 5d Mii and this takes the color casts out quickly and painlessly. I used to use a gray card, which was a pain. Its big, bulky, and someone has to hold it. This is MUCH faster than a gray card. I think it may be more reliable too. Anyway, my photos have spot on white balance now. You may or may not like how your photos look when the white balance is actually correct!

PS - The cap has a built in 'Hole" on the edge so you can thread in a lens cap keeper. Works perfect! The caps stay on my Canon lenses, but its not quite as tight a fit as the canon caps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, December 20, 2012

When I used it, it was better than AWB under artificial light. But it was not perfect. It had a blue-ish tint to the cast. I tried it under florence and tungsten light, both had the same result. I tried it with 3 different Nikon camera, the D700,D7000 and my old D200. Non of them were able to get a perfect WB without the blue cast. I did the same test with a grey card and was able to get a perfect WB.

I would send it back nut its not even worth my time to pack it and drop it off. Now it doubles as a backup lens cap.

2.0 out of 5 stars This is probably worth the cost--but not much more, August 14, 2013
I received this Promaster white balance lens cap today and was ready to throw it away after the first hour. First--I realize that there are several very positive reviews. I used this cap with my 5D Mark II and with a 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II lens. My first attempt was to see how it would perform indoors by photographing my 91 year old mother sitting in her rocking chair with a bright light to her right. After using the Promaster 77mm White Balance Lens Cap in this setting, it was virtually impossible to obtain any usable image of her. I tried several times--went back to YouTube to see if I was using the product incorrectly--then to its own manual (which is a single page PDF from their website which is not included in the package)--and then tried several other times. The images were as cold as ice--yes--I shoot raw and can correct this in Lightroom-- but after using the cap indoors for about an hour, I simply concluded that this cap in worthless if you are shooting indoors.

Next--I took the camera and cap outside a little after 7 pm Central Standard Time here in Texas--when there is still plenty of available light--and the cap performed quite better. I came back inside--used it again in a different room photographing other subjects and under different lighting conditions--and the results were a little better than my first attempt to photograph my mom. The images were still on the cool side--and will have to be modified using Lightroom--but they were not nearly as bad as the first set of images of my mom sitting in her rocking chair.

Initially, I was going to give this product one star--but after using it in another room and outside--I decided to bump up the rating to 2 stars. I was going to be returning the product after the awful first set of results--but for the money--it's okay with the caveat that it probably will only be useful when shooting outdoors. If you shoot primarily indoors--believe me--the images will be very cool and you will be modifying your exposure in post quite a bit. Thus--if you're going to be doing that--you probably are no better off than simply using one of the presets available on your camera.

Promaster SystemPro 77mm White Balance Lens Cap